Why become a member? ×

Best Christmas Song

dmccombe7

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Didn’t the beach boys have a Christmas song 🤔 

They had a Christmas Album called.................................."Christmas Album"!  The song you may be thinking of was "Little Saint Nick" which got some air plays.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got to post 1 reggae one 😁

For some odd reason i always thought that song lends itself to Reggae music.

I'm not really a huge Reggae fan but do enjoy the occasional hit song.

Enjoyed that.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

We already had Lake & Sinfield's And Fairytale... probably haven't had this though

Sadly - hidden at the end of the lyrics is a reminder to me of my childhood growing up with an abusive father who ruined every special thing in a child's life - profoundly affecting my younger sister the most. I like Sufjan though...

• Sad 2

OK. I'm amazed they haven't been mentioned but the definitive Christmas songs are Merry Xmas Everybody and I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday.

Trivia time, the ISO9000 consultant for a landscape consultancy I was a NED for, John Heath, lived opposite Roy Wood's mum when he was a kid and was one of the school choir on I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day (he doesn't get royalties).

But my favourite Christmas song is one of Jethro Tull's ample canon - first appeared in the wild on Dave Pegg's Cocktail Cowboy Goes it Alone, but there's also a version on the reissue version of Broadsword and the Beast:

Through long December nights we talk in words of rain or snow
While you, through chattering teeth, reply and curse us as you go.
Why not spare a thought this day for those who have no flame
To warm their bones at Christmas time?
Say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.
  • Thanks 1

On 20/12/2019 at 20:26, LeftyP said:

They had a Christmas Album called.................................."Christmas Album"!  The song you may be thinking of was "Little Saint Nick" which got some air plays.

Took my daughter to see Brian Wilson and his band in Liverpool a few years ago, and they opened their set with this great song, in June!! Go figure.

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

But my favourite Christmas song is one of Jethro Tull's ample canon - first appeared in the wild on Dave Pegg's Cocktail Cowboy Goes it Alone, but there's also a version on the reissue version of Broadsword and the Beast:

That I like. I can see why it didn't make the album, it wouldn't quite fit. Sounds like it should have been on Heavy Horses but with the synths from Broadsword.

Tull got their Christmas Single royalties with Solstice Bells, but I'm off to dig out this and wake the rest of the house up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The most unlikely choice of Christmas song ever - mentioning Christmas does not a Christmas song make!

One of the best, I think. It has thought provoking lyrics. Centuries of conscript soldiers away from home for Xmas. Heartbreaking. Lyrics maketh the song.

Ok I'm on my phone and can't link YouTube videos but I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Christmas wrapping by the waitresses. The bassline alone hasmade it one of my favourite Christmas songs since I was 19, one of the few bareable songs on a repeated playlist when I worked in ladies clothing it kept me strong 🤣

11 hours ago, Bassmidget209 said:

Ok I'm on my phone and can't link YouTube videos but I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Christmas wrapping by the waitresses. The bassline alone hasmade it one of my favourite Christmas songs since I was 19, one of the few bareable songs on a repeated playlist when I worked in ladies clothing it kept me strong 🤣

Think that was mentioned somewhere along the way as it rings a Xmas bell. 

Dave

On 24/12/2019 at 12:31, mikel said:

One of the best, I think. It has thought provoking lyrics. Centuries of conscript soldiers away from home for Xmas. Heartbreaking. Lyrics maketh the song.

A fair enough point, but if that makes it a Christmas song, then so is Shipbuilding, in which case it has to be the winner 🙂

• Like 1

On 24/12/2019 at 22:34, Bassmidget209 said:

I posted it in this thread....