Why become a member? ×

Pangborn Bass - XLR Jack

Mark Elliott

Is probably for a DI out (and if it is like the one on Overwater basses still needs a plug in the jack socket to power it on).

Normally when these are disconnected it is because a previous owner has swapped out the pre-amp, and obviously the replacement has no DI circuitry. 

As has been suggested a nice big in focus photo of the control cavity would be useful.

It's a DI out, i had a Pangborn for many years. Never ever used the DI out though (Did anyone?). Pangborn Electrics were typically 'hand made'  by one of Ashley's friends..he hated paying full dollar for electrics, i think margins were tight without adding an expensive preamp (cost wise a production pre-amp could cost as much as ALL the timber !) I played mine passive most of the time as the pre-amp wasn't very good anyway. I loved my Pangborn for the way it looked and especially felt,  not for the ahem cough cough electrics.  😉

Edited by scojack

Thanks for your help everyone - if I could please tap in your knowledge one last time?

The knobs on the Pangborn bass are a strange mix - there are volume, tone and pickup selector knobs which look like standard guitar fare, but there are also three smaller knobs which look more like something you would get on a mixing desk or hi-fi. Could anyone give me an idea of where I could get some replacements please? - I don't recognise the shaft type at all.

Thanks In advance

Pangborn Knobs 1.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is Pangborn's "Mark King" Warlord that was most closely patterned after Jaydee's Mark King model even copying the funk groove at the base on the neck.  I suspect the electronics have been swapped around.  I would have expected a PU selector where the first LED is, then volume and master tone rotaries, with the passive-active on-off switch and the bottom three controls the 3-band EQ.  That said, Ashley seems to made every bass differently, see picture below.  They are all Pangborns.  The EQ controls were smaller, but he used a variety of different knob types.

IMG_5404_1.jpg

Edited by GeeCee

I have one of the graphite necked jobbies, I think it might be from 1986.

On 03/01/2020 at 17:39, scojack said:

i think margins were tight without adding an expensive preamp

I read somewhere he was being exploited by one supplier and it was the main reason he escaped.

43 minutes ago, scojack said:

Waaaaaaahhhhhh that's my old Betsy in the front !! Waaaaahhhhhh, i had that bass man and boy!!!! It was originally built for Steve Stroud from Bucks Fizz.

Im off for a big cry ! I should never had let this bass go .....sniff sniff !!

Sorry, I didn't mean to reopen an old wound.

That's some collection! - I've never seen so many Pangborn's in one place at one time..

Odd fact about mine... the wiring cavity plate has Ashley's writing in the shielding foil (serial number, date of manufacture, woods selected, etc.). However it doesn't describe this bass... could he have mixed it up with a sister bass produced at the same time?

Control plate writing.jpg