Why become a member? ×

Skiffle

oldslapper

Well, got the Tea chest. Now to start the complex job of attaching a broom handle to it with some string. 

I’ll start a “build” thread and answer the many questions I anticipate being asked, such as

-Why? Because I can/can’t (let’s see).

-Scale length? Off the.

-Any good for met.. shut up!

Thanks 

D5FC3F13-7A2D-4A57-A57A-04D4EECD7768.jpeg

Edited by oldslapper
  • Like 4

On 18/12/2019 at 12:35, Matt P said:

i can't comment on playing Skiffle but i can recommend the book that Billy Bragg wrote a couple of years ago https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roots-Radicals-Rockers-Skiffle-Changed/dp/0571327745  a really enjoyable history of how skiffle developed and where it led.

Matt 

Yep, this is an excellent recommendation with which I heartily concur 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yep, this is an excellent recommendation with which I heartily concur 

I'm glad there's at least two of you that recommend this. When it came out there were some sniffy reviews in newspapers. 

Damn, this site has got me spending money again.

On 29/12/2019 at 11:58, oldslapper said:

Well, got the Tea chest. Now to start the complex job of attaching a broom handle to it with some string. 

I’ll start a “build” thread and answer the many questions I anticipate being asked, such as

-Why? Because I can/can’t (let’s see).

-Scale length? Off the.

-Any good for met.. shut up!

Thanks 

D5FC3F13-7A2D-4A57-A57A-04D4EECD7768.jpeg

Is it good for metal?

Well, someone had to...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Len_derby said:

I'm glad there's at least two of you that recommend this. When it came out there were some sniffy reviews in newspapers. 

Damn, this site has got me spending money again.

It's painstakingly researched, written with a light easy flowing prose, full of fascinating facts and manages to place the reader in another time and place. 

I love it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

It's painstakingly researched, written with a light easy flowing prose, full of fascinating facts and manages to place the reader in another time and place. 

I love it. 

Who would have thought a crudely finished plywood box for transporting dried leaves could deliver so much?

On 17/12/2019 at 13:12, wateroftyne said:

Ah, well... I can possibly help a bit here (with the caveat that I don't play upright bass) 🙂

Lonnie's old songs are - often - incredible. It's a shame he's more well known for tat like Chewing Gum and Dustman. Listen to Black Girl, for example. It's not a million miles from Nirvana's version.

It's basically about dynamics, breathless energy and that relentless pulse which comes from the bass.

Chris Barber is the source for this, really.  Check out Lonnie & Van Morrison's latter-day album 'The Skiffle Sessions'. it's incredible.

Here's something I was part of for a number of years - just incredible fun, and the audiences love it.

Lonnie on the gramophone with Rock Island Line is one of my earliest recollections of non-classical music (along with singing 'all you need is love').  I really enjoyed this :)