Why become a member? ×

Thank You Basschat!

Stub Mandrel

I've just put some flannel in the 'memorable gigs this year' thread, and it made me realise how important Basschat has been to me.

I'm self employed and work from home, so having a few forums to share the day to day with helps keep me sane and cheerful (not an exaggeration), particularly in what's proven to be a challenging year from a personal perspective. For perhaps 10-12 year music and bass in particular was the main part of my life. Then it all went away for 23 years. Rediscovering the sheer joy of making music with others has been like finding myself again. I have to thank my brothers for their support and encouragement, and of course the musicians I've linked up with. But Basschat and more importantly basschatters have really made a huge difference to my enjoyment and commitment to the bass, helped me out of some holes, see when I'm talking trough my butt (sometimes). I've enjoyed meeting several of you, including at the Midlands Bass Bash.

So I'd just like to say thanks to everyone whose paths I've crossed on Basschat, sorry to anyone I've offended by shooting from the hip or with my unusual sense of humour.

This is a great community, thanks for welcoming me into it 🙂

Looking forwards to 2020!

• Like 46
  • Thanks 3

Happily, at least one person wasn't offended by your shooting from the hip.
See, I only understand 24% of BC, and your shooting from the hip has consistently been in the other 73%.

(BTW, my arithmetic isn't up to scratch either.)

But yeah, great site, and one I'm very grateful for.
Like you, I've had very demanding periods, and BC has proven to be one of the best medicines available to me. 
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but: thanks, folks!

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Rediscovering the sheer joy of making music with others has been like finding myself again. I have to thank my brothers for their support and encouragement, and of course the musicians I've linked up with. But Basschat and more importantly basschatters have really made a huge difference to my enjoyment and commitment to the bass, helped me out of some holes, see when I'm talking trough my butt (sometimes). I've enjoyed meeting several of you, including at t

I think this says it all. Well said, Stub.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your experience mirrors mine in many ways.

Love this place, it is the lens through which I view the world.  I think Mrs S is sick of my continual 'there's this bloke on Basschat who says...' references.  And, at the end of it all, what else would I spend my money on if not for the classifieds?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

BC is easily my most visited website.

In some ways it's like a support/recovery group.

But one where the members actively encourage each other to do more of the thing that they're addicted to.

So actually pretty much the opposite of a support/recovery group.

Anyway seems like a good time of year to say a big thank you to Ped and the team for setting BC up and making it the fantastic place that it is.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I think Mrs S is sick of my continual 'there's this bloke on Basschat who says...' references.  And, at the end of it all, what else would I spend my money on if not for the classifieds?

Got to be better than 'a bloke down the pub says...' 🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Great post and agree, it’s a very good forum. What I particularly like is the fact that we can disagree about things  - usually in Off Topic - but are adult enough to appreciate that people will inevitably not always agree on things but that no resentment is harboured. From what I hear that’s not always so on other forums/ forms of social media.

• Like 2

I enjoyed our little A46 layby meet up Stubby old fruit. Like you I've had testing times of late and the people here have been simply splendid. 

When life as I knew it dropped into the khazi a couple of years back I picked up my bass and (literally) blew cobwebs from my amps and started to play again. 

Getting back in touch with Basschat was an absolute must and it never disappoints.

My life is focused on my music as never before; I've found a tutor here who has revolutionised my playing,  I've spent a fortune I could ill afford, met some great people, learned to sight read and transcribe, discovered theoretical and technical concepts I'd previously not suspected, discovered Vulfpeck (cannot put a price on this), driven to Preston to pick up two basses neither of which I now own and received messages of support and practical help when the darkness threatened (no not that Darkness) which reduced me to tearful gratitude. 

Some truly remarkable people here. 

• Thanks 1

It is a great place for whenever you need a bit of a lift. It’s good that you can have a debate & argue about one thing & be in full agreement about something else with the same person. Most (if not all) whom spend any time on here come across as great people, the sort of people that you can get on well with. 
You can even learn a bit about bass too!

• Like 3

All I have to say is :

Jama Jama Hey !

Great to be here mates sharing with you, or not if you have decided to use the ignore button. :biggrin:

I love the non sense and attitude I can find here.

Thanks to @ped of course, but to everyone else too, well maybe not YT. :laugh1:

• Haha 1

Spose it's that time of year, now just over a year since I dragged my bass out of the cupboard where it had lain forgotten and gathering dust since I bought it and promptly given up 7yrs ago now. now at the stage where I've joined a regular Tuesday jam with a bunch of folk who are in a couple of bands (working learn some of their regular song list) and have a weekly practice session to learn put together some stuff for an open mic. Sometimes I come back wondering WTF I think I'm doing and feeling pretty inadequate, will I ever be a musician, so I spend the next day rationalising things ready to go out and do it all again. BC is a great resource/support. Its a real struggle just now as I think I'm trying to get to grips with too many things as a complete noob, I will get through it all but I just feel lost and inadequate some times. the Monday Uke thing is at least an hour and a half of non-stop chords, Jam is 3-4hrs, and practice is 1-2 hrs so by tonight I'll be pretty fried. Other days I'm downloading lyrics, chords and trying to get to grip with bass lines while learning theory almost by osmosis and the odd vid. Got a new load of songs to download over the next week so at least I'll have the lyrics sheets to hand (need another folder).

Thank-you for introducing me to music/artists I'd never have otherwise come across, the info I've never thought to ask about and understanding my needs as fellow sufferers with GAS. I have already made serious progress towards yet another toy, as in, is it possible and how much. Just need to learn top play the ones I've got.

• Like 5

Thanks @Stewblack, that's what I have to keep reminding myself I think it's because I'm comparing myself to people who are or have been through the whole gigging band thing and have already been playing the stuff together for at least a year in the case of the jam session and last night they were working through the gig set or the weekend so I was mostly sitting back enjoying listening and making notes joining in where I could, the main male vocalist was setting his lyric/chord sheets where I could see them and the bassist was helping me out when he could. They've already written one original which is bloody awesome - lyrics by the female vocalist, music by the lead guitarist, still refining it but it sounds great already. The guy I'm practising with was in a band down in the south east somewhere so of course they're all miles better, however like the folk on here they've all been very helpful and supportive. I've accumulated 2 folders of lyrics with chords I'd like to work through over the next year for bass and about the same for uke. Need to acquire another (3rd) baritone uke and tune it GCEA for playing alongside the normal ukes everything is arranged to suit that tuning, keeping the  other 2 at DGBE for playing alongside guitars etc.

• Like 1

I joined earlier this year so that I could gain some insight before deciding what to buy as my first bass in thirty years. I never expected to have so much fun. Thanks to everyone who makes it work, and to everyone who contributes to the atmosphere. It's digital alchemy.

Still haven't bought the bass. I've narrowed it down, though. These things take time.

• Like 3