Why become a member? ×

Warwick to become 'Exclusive Licensee' to Sadowsky!

warwickhunt

I wonder if the timing of a limited edition master built could be an issue.

I know Warwick have a master built service, but as has been said, limited editions are brought out periodically, but i would think normally after the brand has been established for some time. Individually each brand has, but not collectively.

If they had done this in say 5 years, i think it may be differently received, i dunno

27 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I think that the pricing of the Masterbuilt line is made in accordance with the general Warwick custom shop pricing rather than with any regard to Sadowsky NYC pricing. So if the same Warwick master craftsmen and women who make £6k Streamers/Thumbs are spending similar hours when making a Sadowsky Masterbuilt, then this will result in prices which are a similar to, or exceed the prices of Sadowskys made by Roger Sadowsky. 

Even if all of it is true it still makes no sense for me from the market point of view except if the Sadowsky  US operations would go so narrow that they (the brand)  in fact need someting else in that price bracket to serve the demand. As I have gathered the info Roger was looking for a solution to solve the distribution / process issues he had with the Metro line made by Yoshi and the MetroExpress made some other Japaneese factory / workshop but in the same time he had cut back on the US operations, too. If that is because he no longer needs to take care all the work related to overseas basses plus accesories, strings, preamp etc distribution or he is gonna be cutting back on the number of US made instruments (basses, guitars, archtops) as well I don't know but I guess time will tell. I have a huge respect for him and I honestly hope that this would turn out well for him in the end. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Seems a decent price that - I bought one of the last Japanese HPJ metros at GG and paid over £2k

5 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I wonder if the timing of a limited edition master built could be an issue.

I know Warwick have a master built service, but as has been said, limited editions are brought out periodically, but i would think normally after the brand has been established for some time. Individually each brand has, but not collectively.

If they had done this in say 5 years, i think it may be differently received, i dunno

I doubt it makes a massive difference - I can't see how Warwick would be building a licensed product not within the agreement of the owner of the name. 

Warwick is a highly respected name and maker - I presume the whole point for them is making an instrument of this type because they weren't covering that part of the market. 

As has been observed Warwick Masterbuilt is also highly respected - and so is Sadowski. There are no doubt Warwick fans around the world who would buy a Warwick Masterbuilt Sadowski licensed product (maybe they don't frequent bass forums) who wouldn't buy one of these otherwise, just like there are other people who would only buy an NYC Sadowski at that price. 

Im sure these guys have it sussed in terms of their business plans - as I said, the only potential issue is this initial QC, which I would be very surprised hasnt been sorted out.

Also, do we know how Sadowski NYC prices have been affected by 'worldwide pressures', some of which we're not allowed to mention here? 

• Like 1

On a more positive note I thought Sadowsky had stopped making strings, but I see an update on their website a week or two ago says that Warwick will now be handling distribution and sales. I do remember when I owned one of the original Metro basses that the Sadowsky steels sounded really nice. Some basses don’t get on with a tapered B string but it really suited the Metro.

• Like 1