Why become a member? ×

Warwick to become 'Exclusive Licensee' to Sadowsky!

warwickhunt

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’m surprised that this one was let out into the wild so early on in this new incarnation. Also, given that this is B stock, it’s not exactly had a huge amount knocked off the price.

Agreed. Given the eagerness of many to cast stones, releasing B-stock this early is mystifying. 

Hans Peter Wilfer, the founder of Warwick basses, was approached by John Entwistle to create a special bass for him in 1985. John had some very unique ideas as to how the bass should look and play, so he sat down with Hans Peter and the two of them sketched out the design that the world knows today.

Hans Peter came up with the idea of the distinctive "hand grip" on the lower horn, the stylized headstock and many other design specifics that make the Buzzard such a wonderfully unique bass. Then, after the basic body shape was agreed upon, Hans Peter and John sat in a London nightclub called Maggie's and decided to name the bass the Buzzard. In all honesty, Hans Peter says that many drinks were consumed that night and he cannot remember exactly who thought of the name the Buzzard, but he thinks it was John's idea.

In the days that followed, Hans Peter then made a few prototypes for John to play and critique, and the design was further polished. The photo shown below is of one of those early prototypes, which shows an early headstock design. It was after the duo decided on the name Buzzard, that the headstock was changed to more closely resemble the beak of said bird.

Source:

https://www.guitar-list.com/warwick/bass-guitars/warwick-buzzard

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

That’s hardly Warwick’s fault, or an eff up, they designed it.

55 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

But in 1996 Status Mande an all Graphite Buzzard which was absolutely killer, and completely ripped apart the old boat anchors previously made both in weight and tonally with it’s pre-amp.

After JE’s passing the family estate did initially give permission for Status to keep making the bass, however Warwick purchased ‘the rights’ From his son (I think) and ordered Status to smash the moulds and never make it again- now we are left again with the boat anchor POS basses the Warwick versions are.

In short, Warwick may have Carved JE’s design, Status (at JE’s bequest) took it to the stratosphere and made it probably one of the best basses ever, Warwick then destroyed anyone’s chance of owning a superb bass and simultaneously produced a complete pile of tripe, just another of example of HPW’s fine moments of which there are many.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Agreed. Given the eagerness of many to cast stones, releasing B-stock this early is mystifying. 

It may be a drive towards sustainability - a perfectly fine bass except for a small cosmetic flaw  doesn't deserve being stripped and burnt/sent to landfill (thereby not just writing off its  building costs but also adding stripping costs). I can't comment on how big the discount on it should be, but if it doesn't seem appropriate, the bass won't sell and they'll reduce the price. None of you guys are obliged to buy it if you believe it's not worth it...

My impression from NAMM was that a. Roger is very relaxed about handing over to Warwick (except his Custom NYC line etc.), because he trusts the company; and b. the 'many' who are eager to cast stones appear to be mostly - or only - on this forum, IME.

I would suggest we leave Roger and the Sadowsky Warwicks alone for a while and allow things to settle down.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

It may be a drive towards sustainability - a perfectly fine bass except for a small cosmetic flaw  doesn't deserve being stripped and burnt/sent to landfill (thereby not just writing off its  building costs but also adding stripping costs). I can't comment on how big the discount on it should be, but if it doesn't seem appropriate, the bass won't sell and they'll reduce the price. None of you guys are obliged to buy it if you believe it's not worth it...

My impression from NAMM was that a. Roger is very relaxed about handing over to Warwick (except his Custom NYC line etc.), because he trusts the company; and b. the 'many' who are eager to cast stones appear to be mostly - or only - on this forum, IME.

I would suggest we leave Roger and the Sadowsky Warwicks alone for a while and allow things to settle down.

Don’t disagree about letting it settle, but  where would we be without good old british scepticism 

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Haha 1

Incidentally - and this is my last post on this particular bass! - the 5-string version for sale at Thomann has the colour fading at the back - clearly an intentional cosmetic choice, whether we like it or not - and does NOT have the just-a-nut!

I do think we need to wait to see where exactly these guys end up...

Sadowsky Metroline 21 At Thomann

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

It may be a drive towards sustainability - a perfectly fine bass except for a small cosmetic flaw  doesn't deserve being stripped and burnt/sent to landfill (thereby not just writing off its  building costs but also adding stripping costs).

Very true, but I think I might have either refinished it, or held it back for a later release.

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Incidentally - and this is my last post on this particular bass! - the 5-string version for sale at Thomann has the colour fading at the back - clearly an intentional cosmetic choice, whether we like it or not

There is also a 5 string at Bass Direct with a faded back, but it's way more tastefully done than the 4 string, which looks like it hasn't been sanded properly.

But, as you say, I don't have to buy it and I won't. 

47 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

The blue one on sale at Thomman`s. £2859 and you get a gig bag??? Might be a nice bag but at that price I would be looking for a hardcase.

I agree. Also, the gig bags my Sadowsky and Mike Lull basses came in were very 3rd rate.