Why become a member? ×

Warwick to become 'Exclusive Licensee' to Sadowsky!

warwickhunt

As a Sadowsky owner already this partnership has had the effect of making me check out Warwick basses. Now I am semi-seriously thinking that owning a 6 string GPS Warwick Thumb in Nirvana Black would be the perfect way to ease myself into 6 string bass territory...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

So a Sandberg or a 'Warwick' Sadowsky...

I'm in the market for a new J so this couldn't have come at a better time. 

Not sure on release dates for the new range, I saw spring referenced which is pretty vague.

But there are some great options this year if you're looking for a J bass.  I suspect the Metroline might be priced a little higher than the Sandbergs, and the MetroExpresses a little lower but a tad more than the equivelent Sires.

I have 2 Sandberg P basses and they are great instruments .. certainly wouldnt go wrong with a TT or TM

23 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Not sure on release dates for the new range, I saw spring referenced which is pretty vague.

But there are some great options this year if you're looking for a J bass.  I suspect the Metroline might be priced a little higher than the Sandbergs, and the MetroExpresses a little lower but a tad more than the equivelent Sires.

I have 2 Sandberg P basses and they are great instruments .. certainly wouldnt go wrong with a TT or TM

The MetroLine are coming at around £2200-2300 whilst the MetroExpress is going to be around £7-800 both depending on number or strings and pickup spec, as usual. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

It's worth the extra £1500 for the logo upgrade alone.

Yeah. I’m a HUGE Sadowsky fan and gig them 90% of the time, but even I’m struggling to overlook that logo. However, it’s not supposed to be forever - and let’s hope that’s the case! 

Edited by TJ Spicer

2 hours ago, dirtyharry said:

Hi all,

The new Metro Express range at Thomann £729 (4-strings) and £777 (5-strings). No delivery date provided.

Sadowsky MetroExpress

I'm in the market for a Precision 5 and I might pull the trigger for a Hybrid PJ5. Anyone knows if this range is fitted with regular US pickups?

Thanks in advance

I’m 90% sure they won’t be the same pickups. In Roger’s letter about the Warwick License, the pickups only get a mention on the Metro express, which to me suggests a change. Sadowsky pickups are currently made by nordstrand, and I don’t think it’s economically viable to use those in this price range. 

Edited by TJ Spicer

57 minutes ago, TJ Spicer said:

I’m 90% sure they won’t be the same pickups. In Roger’s letter about the Warwick License, the pickups only get a mention on the Metro express, which to me suggests a change. Sadowsky pickups are currently made by nordstrand, and I don’t think it’s economically viable to use those in this price range. 

I have thought the same thing however the PUs have Sadowsky branded covers. Logo legal issues only apply to the headstock? :o

image.png.366c44faa6cf51b0e07f38795249ee2a.png

Edited by dirtyharry

1 hour ago, dirtyharry said:

I have thought the same thing however the PUs have Sadowsky branded covers. Logo legal issues only apply to the headstock? :o

image.png.366c44faa6cf51b0e07f38795249ee2a.png

I think still probably a cheaper option - these are the Nordstrands that came loaded in my 2016 Metro that I’m currently sat playing. Sadowsky logo is also in a different place on both. 

image.jpg

So here’s the thing...if I’m following the right train of thought, the metro express at £700 ish are made in China. I know Warwick used to use “Grand Reward/Education” - for rockbass (after the snappy truss rod early models). 

And I think they may have had something to do with the chinese made series they ran for a brief period a few years ago.

Grand Reward/Education produced the Squier Classic Vibes and Fender Modern Player stuff, they also made some basses under their own “Farida” brand...

And their FJB is a very passable J bass - they were in around £150-£250 and an attempt at premium models was a bit of a flop.

If they are indeed made in this factory - they’ll be lovely. But shows what Brand power is.

I’ll be intrigued to try/see.

If anyone has one delivered from the factory packing - I’ll be able to tell you if my theory is right 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, therealting said:

If the MetroExpress basses turned out to be winners, I’d probably pick a secondhand one up when they started to become available and put a Sadowsky decal on it. I already have an early Metro and an NYC so no real rush. 

I’d be interested to see the difference once you add the VTC mod back into the preamp - though I’ve never had a chance to use the original 2 band without tone. I guess it’s no different to VTC full open? I think I’d miss the VTC regardless, it’s a really important feature for me.

1 hour ago, TJ Spicer said:

I’d be interested to see the difference once you add the VTC mod back into the preamp - though I’ve never had a chance to use the original 2 band without tone. I guess it’s no different to VTC full open? I think I’d miss the VTC regardless, it’s a really important feature for me.

Very true. I imagine it wouldn’t be difficult for a good tech to put one in. I had one installed on the J-Retro in my medium scale Jazz, makes all the difference.

5 hours ago, therealting said:

Very true. I imagine it wouldn’t be difficult for a good tech to put one in. I had one installed on the J-Retro in my medium scale Jazz, makes all the difference.

For sure, Roger has said upgrades for both adding the VTC and better pickups into the metro expresses will be available so as you say I’m sure it’s not difficult to do. 

• Like 1