Why become a member? ×

Warwick to become 'Exclusive Licensee' to Sadowsky!

warwickhunt

50 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

FYI, Roger told us that a Chinese company stole his logo years ago, and while he is fighting to get it back, he can't use it on the headstock of the Chinese line. So the basses currently have just the name of the model and when they are officially released, they will have a special round logo based on the letters RSD (Roger Sadowsky Design).

Photos to follow in due course! 

Not sure I'm getting this, did some company claim the rights to use the logo in China and now Roger can't use his own logo there without permission or something?

Does this mean the clones on AliExpress are legit? 😂

Edited by lemmywinks

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Not sure I'm getting this, did some company claim the rights to use the logo in China and now Roger can't use his own logo there without permission or something?

They’ve got better logos 😄

On 16/12/2019 at 14:50, w_joe said:

As a former Warwick enthusiast and current sadowsky player this is, to me, the worst news ever! 

I hope they don't use the same trussrods...

Did you seriously manage to break a trussrod? I've had 2 warwicks for nearly 20 years and adjusted the rods a fair few times: they never need more than a tiny turn anyway, and seem reliable enough... what did you do??

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I read something years ago that you can copyright a name in China even if it exists elsewhere in the world so if someone had copyrighted the Squier name in China before Fender then had the MIC Squiers would have to have been called something else.

Edited by Delberthot

4 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I read something years ago that you can copyright a name in China even if it exists elsewhere in the world so if someone had copyrighted the Squier name in China before Fender then had the MIC Squiers would have to have been called something else.

As someone whose Law dissertation was in international intellectual property, I’m not sure that’s true any more and hadn’t been for quite a while (you did say you read it years ago). Since Doha everyone has had to try a bit harder at enforcing rights of IP on their turf. Once Chinese firms found people copying their stuff ...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the thread, Roger Sadowsky wrote a piece on the Sadowsky site to explain the licensing agreement. 

It is an interesting piece, particularly in terms of explaining the IP/logo issue with the Metro Express basses. It seems that it has been a long term issue but which is likely going to be coming to an end at some point shortly. 

https://www.sadowsky.com/warwick-gmbh-to-be-exclusive-licensee-for-sadowsky-guitars-ltd-copy/

SadowskyWarwick.final_.pdf

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 07:33, therealting said:

Lots of companies show prototypes at NAMM with handwritten labelling and the like. If they sound and feel good enough, then the aesthetic details are sorted out in time to meet shipping deadlines in the summer etc.

Yep. I see lots of that every year and many production pieces look substantially different by the time they get to market.

Edited by Passinwind
typo unhappiness
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Just to add to the thread, Roger Sadowsky wrote a piece on the Sadowsky site to explain the licensing agreement. 

It is an interesting piece, particularly in terms of explaining the IP/logo issue with the Metro Express basses. It seems that it has been a long term issue but which is likely going to be coming to and end at some point shortly. 

https://www.sadowsky.com/warwick-gmbh-to-be-exclusive-licensee-for-sadowsky-guitars-ltd-copy/

SadowskyWarwick.final_.pdf 1.92 MB · 0 downloads

That matches what Roger said to us in our chat. And in that document we can see the RSD logo, which wasn't on the basses we saw at NAMM. :)

30 minutes ago, thodrik said:

It is an interesting piece, particularly in terms of explaining the IP/logo issue with the Metro Express basses. It seems that it has been a long term issue but which is likely going to be coming to and end at some point shortly. 

SadowskyWarwick.final_.pdf 1.92 MB · 0 downloads

Interesting read. Thank you.

There's still time to fix that logo... 😄

• Haha 1

On 28/01/2020 at 20:57, AndyTravis said:

Metro express can get in the bin. Bet they’ll be lovely but that logo 😔

Absolutely agree😩It is just too bad to see the downfall of the original MetroExpress.

These basses have become a downgraded entry level stuff. It seems to be the same category as the ‘Rockbass made by Warwick’ craps.

21 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Perhaps we should actually try the new Warwick-made lines before slating them? As for Rockbasses, they're pretty damn impressive, even the cheapest ones. If the MetroExpress goes the same way as Rockbasses, Roger has nothing to worry about.

Agreed, personally I'm really interesting in playing one of these and seeing what they are like.  I do agree that the MetroExpress logo is a bit of a let down but I quite like the RSD circle at the end.

Any indication as to when they might be available?

Edited by PJ-Bassist

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we’ll, well,

You can’t blame Roger for a bit of retirement planning whilst keeping the fun bits.

And you can’t blame HPW for tapping into the Fender clone market without compromising the Warwick DNA. Just look what Sire did. Suppose it hurt Rockbass sales.

If quality goes pear shaped there is finally a Pre-CBS rival out there (even if Pre-Warwick has a decidedly different ring to it).

If not then Sadowsky basses will continue to be available to the masses. I shall wait with undiluted excitement.

• 1 month later...