Why become a member? ×

Warwick to become 'Exclusive Licensee' to Sadowsky!

warwickhunt

https://www.sadowsky.com/sadowsky-warwick-announcement/?fbclid=IwAR0ByXnN5qtBGX01Lz-fV48cU642Dkg9_hJDexz9anGByAph_GCuddZZZcI

In an announcement that will surely lead to Talkbass users losing control of bodily functions and Basschat users to go 'hmm, vaguely interesting', Sadowsky and Warwick have come to a deal whereby Warwick will now be the exclusive constructors of the Metroline and Metro Express series of basses, that were previously constructed in Japan. 

Obviously, this also means that Roger Sadowsky is effectively handing over a bit more control to a third party, allowing him to go back to building basses in New York rather than have to constantly monitor expanding overseas production (the Metro Series and Metro Express involved two different construction processes in different locations, so quite a lot to oversee while you are still trying to manage the NYC workshop and business). 

Despite being a proud owner of a Metro bass, I am actually fairly interested in this partnership. If the Sadowsky Metro series are constructed and price at a similar level to the German 'team built' line, then this could see the price of the Metro series come down. A five string team built Warwick Thumb is now about £1500, which I think is pretty good value in the current market. If the Sadowskys are priced closer to that level then that is great news and really would lead to the Metro line being priced at or around the Sandberg and Fender lines, rather than £800+ above them as they are currently. 

I wonder if the Metro Express line will be a 'Rockbass' equivalent. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by thodrik

Hmm, vaguely interesting.

More seriously, is it Warwick (Germany) doing the building, or their Asian counterpart?

This further brings into question the reason for the change. If they can produce the Metro at the same quality at a lower cost, will that saving be passed on to the consumer or contribute to Sadowsky's profits. I can't see how German production costs can significantly undercut the Japanese operation.

More questions than answers, there, I'm afraid!

Not sure if it's good news or not!

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Yeah, it doesn't mention specifically that they'll be German made, or whether Warwick will utilise an overseas factory.

Interesting news, but no real change for the consumer I imagine.

Si

Or a factory that isn't overseas but also isn't in Germany but allows them to retain a 'made in Germany' label. . .

I asked myself the same questions when I heard the news and knowing the guys at Warwick, I am sure regardless they will make a great product.

I have asked the relevant questions, with regards to manufacturing and distribution, both to Warwick and the European distributor, but not news yet. In fact, the European distributor or at least the person I spoke to, did not even know about it!

I guess i will know more at the NAMM show, when they get released. i will post more as I get the info and I am allowed!

15 minutes ago, MrCrane said:

I think we're already liable to pay VAT for goods from Germany.

You are correct. However, it is at whatever their is rate and not on top of the quoted price. Then again, I suppose, we’ll be able to buy them without their VAT and have whatever our rate will be at the time added on. 

8 minutes ago, Mike2tone said:

I guess there will also be a German made Master built/Custom Shop version, as well as the NYC. The whole thing is being released at NAMM but this came from the horse's mouth. 

Okay. Sounds like an equivalent or something similar to the Satin line. Though if it is like Custom Shop Warwick prices then the price could be even higher than current Satin/NYC prices.

Though if the Metro prices are similar to the team built prices for the Thumb, Streamer etc, then that is much lower than current Metro prices

Honestly, I am intrigued to see how it works out.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

You are correct. However, it is at whatever their is rate and not on top of the quoted price. Then again, I suppose, we’ll be able to buy them without their VAT and have whatever our rate will be at the time added on. 

And if Royal Mail get involved we’ll also have their fee to add on. 😕

• Like 2

It does seem a little out of character for someone like Roger to hand over production to a high profile company - a competitor even - like Warwick.

Either something went very very wrong in Tokyo such as QC issues or simply not able to match demand quick enough for whatever reason.

Or Sadowsky as a whole are in financial trouble and need the backing of a larger company with deeper pockets, and part of the rescue package was a licensing deal.

Or it might just be that Rog wants an easier way to get basses into Europe and Warwick was the answer. 

A few months ago Sadowsky were teasing images of what appeared to be a Sadowsky-built Marcus Miller sig to tie in with the 40th anniversary. Then all of a sudden it was delayed. I wonder if this new agreement has anything to do with it. 

Edited by ianrendall