Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 1964 SOLD
£12400
Italy

Alberto Rigoni

I’m the second owner of this jewel... I used it only a few times in the studio. Considering the age, the conditions are very very good and it sounds killer. I asked a well know vintage shop in uk about originality of the color and they said the body could be a pre-1963 or refin, pickguard is not original. So considering the doubt I consider it refin. One more thing... it’s super lightweight (3.5kg)!!

selling price 6000 gbp as suggested by experts

It does not include the original case.

shipping in Europe
NO TRADES 

D96C61B4-D46B-40A5-AE29-0F0BC57D5770.jpeg

9D4CD3F8-3999-4727-B357-4A75EE6EAD5C.jpeg

CB1AA76E-31B3-4730-AFD9-8A9D1CEDCE22.jpeg

42FCD259-5BD1-4C5D-949C-F060B111BB7E.jpeg

437FA87A-815C-4DC0-ABC9-3441C6C05FD4.jpeg

A48B0680-C2E2-4AB9-8377-A64FCE64F687.jpeg

3928BB2B-64B7-4C2B-96AF-CA56DA95B2F4.jpeg

AD2C1D4E-7310-4303-A06A-3D560465CB87.jpeg

4F383F3B-4B79-4E49-A937-D3587BB04B15.jpeg

4DB1EDFE-2C1F-4424-A488-503862044144.jpeg

DCC9A6C5-28B6-48C6-A5F5-5584240DC4F3.jpeg

950DF8DC-D497-48CB-8EBF-74EBCDC63EC1.jpeg

4C529292-87E5-4BF8-98FB-476D45522461.jpeg

Edited by Alberto Rigoni
About refin, price drop
  • Like 11

Nice. Without the matching headstock it should be a translucent Blonde finish with Ash body. But it does not look translucent in the pics... And the white finish marks on the neck end are not common. 

So, do you have any detail pics of the neck pocket or the nail holes to verify the finish is original ? And could you measure the body thickness ?

Of course the pickup coils and bobbins are interesting too. At this price range much more evidence about all the parts would help. Just my 2c.

3 minutes ago, mrbassman_de said:

Nice. Without the matching headstock it should be a translucent Blonde finish with Ash body. But it does not look translucent in the pics... And the white finish marks on the neck end are not common. 

So, do you have any detail pics of the neck pocket or the nail holes to verify the finish is original ? And could you measure the body thickness ?

Of course the pickup coils and bobbins are interesting too. At this price range much more evidence about all the parts would help. Just my 2c.

I'm not sure you're right about that.  I don't think 60s Jazz basses were ever made in ash or in translucent blonde finishes. Alder in olympic white is perfectly normal for a 60s Jazz even without a matching headstock. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't a refin, but even if it is, it looks like a very old one. That pickguard definitely looks aftermarket though - very modern looking.

2 hours ago, Belka said:

I don't think 60s Jazz basses were ever made in ash or in translucent blonde finishes. Alder in olympic white is perfectly normal for a 60s Jazz even without a matching headstock.

I definitely disagree sorry ! From where do you get that assumption ? Please use Google. The major vintage web sites all disagree ! Perhaps in the very early 60s stack knob times there could be a Oly White body appear without matching headstock. I myself own a Fiesta Red 61 without matching headstock as it was finished in UK.

But later (after 62) it would have been a custom order as ALL custom colours (besides Blonde) where made with matching headstock. It is definitey NOT normal to have a custom colour 64 without matching headstock.

And of course there were since the beginning Jazz Basses built with Ash bodies, ALWAYS without matching headstock and with translucent blonde finish. No exception. And I played a 62 Ash body Blonde Jazz Bass at Vintage Guitar Oldenburg. It was definitely original - proven by some of the attributes I asked for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I’m making no comment on the price or originality of this bass but Andy Baxter has one in stock that could be useful as a comparison?

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-basses/products/1964-fender-jazz-bass-blonde-new-arrival

Some obscurities here again:

Nail holes seem to have lacquer in it !

Why is there a shadow on the finish in the electric cavity near the neck pickup wires ? 

Again: Oly White in 63 : ALWAYS with matching headstock !

Oly White or Blonde: ALWAYS with tortoise guard !

Frets are 100% sure renewed. I have seen lots of original vintage Fenders and this fret end shaping is too poor/ too sharp to be original !

Nut is definitely renewed. 63/64 nuts are more "glassy" and would not look like white.

Pots renewed. Solderings are broken. Circuit plate has wider screw holes than used in 63/64.

Nail hole at the neck has unusual position.

OK stamp in neck pocket has been oversprayed !

Again these obscure white finish at the neck end - never seen on original basses. Looks like the neck had been mounted too early after refin.

And so on and so on.

Please note: I do NOT try to blame the sellers of that particular bass or of this ad that they offer basses that are not original. But it would be great to get more evidence. My recommendation: Always be in doubt when something seems to be unclear ! So, I would highly appreciate if the seller could provide more details.

And all these forensic discussions do not say anything about the player quality of the bass! These basses could be amazing pieces - even if they are proven original or not.

Edited by mrbassman_de
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mrbassman_de said:

Some obscurities here again:

Nail holes seem to have lacquer in it !

Why is there a shadow on the finish in the electric cavity near the neck pickup wires ? 

Again: Oly White in 63 : ALWAYS with matching headstock !

Oly White or Blonde: ALWAYS with tortoise guard !

Frets are 100% sure renewed. I have seen lots of original vintage Fenders and this fret end shaping is too poor/ too sharp to be original !

Nut is definitely renewed. 63/64 nuts are more "glassy" and would not look like white.

Pots renewed. Solderings are broken. Circuit plate has wider screw holes than used in 63/64.

Nail hole at the neck has unusual position.

OK stamp in neck pocket has been oversprayed !

Again these obscure white finish at the neck end - never seen on original basses. Looks like the neck had been mounted too early after refin.

And so on and so on.

Please note: I do NOT try to blame the sellers of that particular bass or of this ad that they offer basses that are not original. But it would be great to get more evidence. My recommendation: Always be in doubt when something seems to be unclear ! So, I would highly appreciate if the seller could provide more details.

And all these forensic discussions do not say anything about the player quality of the bass! These basses could be amazing pieces - even if they are proven original or not.

Agreed. As I said, I made no comment about originality, but it purports to be from the same year etc.

The problem with selling a high value item like this is that the threads often become grown men arguing about the correct age of a bit of plastic or how original a $0.05 component is.

I hope the comments here have helped the seller, of only to encourage them to provide more information that can assuage any concerns.

Price drop to 11900 gbp 

I bought this bass from a 70 years old person who told me it was all original. For now I have only this more pics because I’m out of home, some were took by the owner before selling (disassembled) others by myself I’m of course open to send more when I’m back home in the next days. 

im just a musician not an expert luthier.. 

16 minutes ago, Alberto Rigoni said:

I’m asking to various vintage shop seller or expert.. 

Alberto, I think that's a wise decision, but I'd be inclined to go a step further, and ask for documentary proof of what the dealer/expert says about the bass. It might cost you some money to get an evaluation done, but given the value of the instrument, it would seem a good investment for you if it means you can sell the bass at the price you want, and at the same time be able to provide proof to any potential buyer that the instrument is everything you're saying it is. At present, there seems to be a lot of "maybe it's this, maybe it's that" on this thread, and while these things are possibly fun to discuss on the internet amongst people with no connection to the instrument, for you, each question translates to a devaluation of the price you can ask. If you have documentary proof, then you can provide an answer to all these questions.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bassaussie said:

Alberto, I think that's a wise decision, but I'd be inclined to go a step further, and ask for documentary proof of what the dealer/expert says about the bass. It might cost you some money to get an evaluation done, but given the value of the instrument, it would seem a good investment for you if it means you can sell the bass at the price you want, and at the same time be able to provide proof to any potential buyer that the instrument is everything you're saying it is. At present, there seems to be a lot of "maybe it's this, maybe it's that" on this thread, and while these things are possibly fun to discuss on the internet amongst people with no connection to the instrument, for you, each question translates to a devaluation of the price you can ask. If you have documentary proof, then you can provide an answer to all these questions.

100%. Buying a vintage instrument is as much about confidence in the seller and demonstrated provenance as is is about knowledge and experience of the instrument itself.

• Like 1

• ped locked this topic