Why become a member? ×

F Basses - are they as good as Scott Devine says?

Al Krow

He's been using his BN4 a lot in his videos and raving about them.

For the money, are they as good as he says? 

Who's got one and loves it (pics please!) or, just as interesting from my point of view, decided it wasn't for them and if so why?

I’ve played maybe 3? I thought they were ok, except for 1 which felt like the most clumsy feeling ‘70s Jazz ever. The neck felt huge and the whole thing just felt horrible, one of the least “me” basses I’ve ever played. They’re very well made, but very much not my thing. However I’ll add I don’t really get on with Jazzes and despite the looks, the basses I played had a lot of Jazz in their DNA, I felt. YMMV. Obviously Scott’s does.

FWIW I generally haven’t liked the Foderas I’ve tried either. Nothing against boutiques though as I love Alembics and Seis, amongst others.

• Like 2

I've owned a couple of F basses. A BN6 that I only had for about 6 months just before I moved away from 6ers altogether due to the onset of arthritis, and a BN5 which I had for nearly 3 years.

They are incredibly well made, and with a huge tonal palette. The standard (for F Bass) scale length of 34.5" goes some way to ensure a great feel to the low B string. My BN5 had a Macassar ebony fingerboard which I  found much nicer to play than the maple ones I'd tried. The basses balance well and I found I could cover more or less any type of music that required a specific type of tone.

They're not light basses by any means and that shape is not for everyone. In fact, the BNf shape, like the Alain Caron sig, I hate. The preamps are fabulous and the basses really hold tuning well. The lacquer can sometimes be prone to cracking but is purely cosmetic. Seriously fast and comfy necks.

I bought mine new for just over $4,000 from Bass Central. If you're going that direction, bear in mind the import taxes, VAT etc.

The only reason I sold it was that I  wouldn't take it to gigs for fear of it getting knocked over, scratched etc. Ergo, it was only getting played at home so pointless having it.

F 1.JPG

F 4.JPG

F2.JPG

F3.JPG

Edited by leschirons
Forgot pics
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, leschirons said:

They're not light basses by any means and that shape is not for everyone. In fact, the BNf shape, like the Alain Caron sig, I hate. The preamps are fabulous and the basses really hold tuning well. The lacquer can sometimes be prone to cracking but is purely cosmetic. Seriously fast and comfy necks.

The ones I played were definitely heavy. I thought the necks were far from fast though; in fact the one I mentioned (which I have a feeling may have been Paul Turner’s) had one of the least playable necks I’ve ever laid hands on, and I’ve played an awful lot of basses. Again, I’ll qualify that by saying that I like a parallel, narrow neck (Alembic, Rickenbacker), or something like an Ibanez SR. My preference is also for very narrow spacing.

10 hours ago, 4000 said:

The ones I played were definitely heavy. I thought the necks were far from fast though; in fact the one I mentioned (which I have a feeling may have been Paul Turner’s) had one of the least playable necks I’ve ever laid hands on, and I’ve played an awful lot of basses. Again, I’ll qualify that by saying that I like a parallel, narrow neck (Alembic, Rickenbacker), or something like an Ibanez SR. My preference is also for very narrow spacing.

Horses for courses then.😉

• Like 1

I spent a few hours at the F Bass factory back in October. As well as being shown around every part of the workshop, I was able to try out a few of their basses.

The BN5 felt great. The 34.5" scale was comfortable, and the elongated top horn shifts the bass position to bring the lower frets in closer. Sound wise, they are clearly Jazz influenced, but the boost only preamp has a huge tonal range. The slap tone was killer.  I also tried out an AC Classic fretless which is undoubtedly the nicest fretless I've ever played.

I've got some very nice high end instruments, and I've played a lot more, but I'm currently discussing my build spec on a BN5 with the guys at F Bass.  For me, they are that good. 

• Like 2

Michael League seems to rate them:

"These are the most badass basses I've ever played in a studio context. Super warm, cut like a motherf*cker, and are a real joy to play." - Michael League

I had a bit of GAS for the 40th anniversary edition PJ for a while, never got to play one though

http://www.fbass.com/blog/article/82/40th-anniversary-pj/

15 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Very good basses, a bit too “nice” tonally for my liking. But undeniably good build quality and I love the neck. I preferred Lulls however and ended up buying those back in the day.

Ahh you know my weak spots! Anything that's too 'nice' or too hi-fi tonally is not getting past 'go' in Krow herd...particularly at £3k+ entry fee!

Edited by Al Krow

The only way you’d know is to try some. Whilst other other people’s opinions can be helpful, they’re not you, and you might find something that’s a make or break that is the opposite for them. Like I said before, I haven’t really liked any of the Foderas I’ve played, yet others rave about them. There is no “truth” as it’s all subjective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

The only way you’d know is to try some. Whilst other other people’s opinions can be helpful, they’re not you, and you might find something that’s a make or break that is the opposite for them. Like I said before, I haven’t really liked any of the Foderas I’ve played, yet others rave about them. There is no “truth” as it’s all subjective. 

Ah that is generally a very fair comment. However Harry knows exactly what my herd comprises having popped round to buy a bass off me, and I'll have to fess to being a big fan of his bass playing! 

With something like an F bass, you kinda have to go with the steer of your trusted basschat mates as, unlike more mainstream basses, they're generally not something you can try out at your local PMT store. 

There was a great guy on BC called Gwilym who had one. I bought my MTD off him and he later turned up at Happy Jack’s with a BN5. I loved it ergonomically and tone wise but it was rather heavy- almost 10 lbs I think. 

It made quite an impression on me such that I had to arrange to visit Gwilym a few months later to see if it was everything I had remembered. It was - but it was still too heavy to gig with so I passed and the GAS subsided. 

If one exists around 8 lbs in a sensible colour, I would be very tempted.