Why become a member? ×

What is the best bass for under £100

AMD8806

42 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've got my eye on the HBZ-5000 NT.

Tend to be on the heavy side of things. The 4 string was around 12lb ,can't see the 5'er being any lighter.

Construction -  Can't fault it,everything worked the way it should 👍 You might prefer to take the edge of the gloss finish on the neck.

Had to sell mine under duress. After playing it a few times, a pal wouldn't let up with "when you selling it? Mind I'm first in line" .

Only took him 6 month to wear me down 😀

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

😢

Was the strangest thing. Didn't even need "For Sale " ads.

Local lad was selling his bass uke and I innocently chipped in how much fun they were. Suddenly there was a queue of folk asking to buy the HBs. 6 wanted the fretted bass uke ,3  wanted the JB-75. 

Never saw anything like it 🙂

• Like 1

I used one of these for a whole gig on Friday due to it being a narrower neck than any of my 5 strings.  An Aria Pro 11 Jazz. Didn't miss a beat. Comfey, typical Jazz tone, stayed in tune all night and you can pick them up for about £80. Well impressed. In fact, apart from the build finish and component quality, the difference between this and my last custom built Jazz with all the good stuff on it didn't warrant the difference of £1500.

Aria 1.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Really, where can I get one for about £80?

For a start, you can have this one for £80😂 except I'm in France.  Look on Gumtree, Ebay etc or local paper. My brother actually picked this one up for £50 at a local secondhand shop in Norfolk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

For a £100 quid I always fancied one of these, although for another £50 I'd get the double humbucker version

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_4_sb_deluxe_series.htm

This post is giving me GAS, damn it!

I was looking at that just yesterday. The reviews are petty good, and it looks good too, if that's your kind of thing. 

21 hours ago, leschirons said:

I used one of these for a whole gig on Friday due to it being a narrower neck than any of my 5 strings.  An Aria Pro 11 Jazz. Didn't miss a beat. Comfey, typical Jazz tone, stayed in tune all night and you can pick them up for about £80. Well impressed. In fact, apart from the build finish and component quality, the difference between this and my last custom built Jazz with all the good stuff on it didn't warrant the difference of £1500.

Aria 1.jpg

thank God I didn't pay that for it then! :crazy:

IMG_4493.JPG

• Haha 1

On 16/12/2019 at 11:45, AMD8806 said:

The talman is all right but just is uncomfortable for me as the cutout is the wrong place for my leg, although about the J&D basses would you say that are they are good for the price?

I had a J&D Jazz and it was very good, but it did need a little work: nut and a few sharp fret ends. 

If you're looking at that little money, I'd be checking your local Gumtree and just try everything that looks right until you find a decent one.

20 hours ago, Defo said:

2nd hand you might pick up a Squier Affinity?

Not sure about the Affinity (definitely try first, they're very variable) but 100% second hand.

Last year my girlfriend got an older Squier Standard for £90 at a Cash Convertors type of shop. It's really light, very nice neck, sounds good... the only reason I don't steal it is that it has a rosewood, not maple, fingerboard ;)

On 23/12/2019 at 09:52, lownote12 said:

I got an Aria P bass off Gumtree listed at £75 knocked down to £10 because of 'dodgy electrics' - loose bridge earth lead

I've got an Aria STB P which cost me £40 the same but a J which was £38. Both brilliant, maybe not American Fenders but brilliant all the same. The P now has a Quarter Pounder and flats and the J Entwistle Neos with a series switch and rounds. Two seriously useful basses for very little. 

_20181126_171534.thumb.JPG.8c6de6621a618636e15dc2c37a1c45d9.JPG

There's so many great basses for such small amount these days, it's great. 

On 19/12/2019 at 12:55, kodiakblair said:

Was the strangest thing. Didn't even need "For Sale " ads.

Local lad was selling his bass uke and I innocently chipped in how much fun they were. Suddenly there was a queue of folk asking to buy the HBs. 6 wanted the fretted bass uke ,3  wanted the JB-75. 

Never saw anything like it 🙂

My brother's got one of the HB bass ukes, sadly a left hander... but it's very nice otherwise.

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

My brother's got one of the HB bass ukes, sadly a left hander... but it's very nice otherwise.

I managed to snag a fretted and fretless for £30 a pop when they were shifting loads of 'Dekos' a few years back. They're great fun. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mcnach said:

Not sure about the Affinity (definitely try first, they're very variable) but 100% second hand.

My Affinity PJ is great, I agree they are very variable but mine’s a good ‘un, and totally giggable as standard.

I love cheap basses!

34A1CEBF-4D86-4F77-A0CE-401774C8C497.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 1