Why become a member? ×

Frusciante rejoins RHCP

AndyTravis

TBH the only Chills albums I really like are Californication, BSSM, By The Way and to a lesser extent Stadium Arcadium and The Getaway.

If Josh was fired because John got divorced, then that's a bit shitty and I hope he got a good redundancy package out of the band.

I guess we'll probably never find out how amicable, or not it was

11 minutes ago, Graham said:

TBH the only Chills albums I really like are Californication, BSSM, By The Way and to a lesser extent Stadium Arcadium and The Getaway.

If Josh was fired because John got divorced, then that's a bit shitty and I hope he got a good redundancy package out of the band.

I guess we'll probably never find out how amicable, or not it was

I reckon the royalties off two very successful chilis albums and about 6 tours will do him alright for a few months while he lines another job up.

22 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I guess the current guitarist got the sack so John could come back. 

It seems that John and Josh do a lot of stuff together, in fact it's how Josh got the gig in the first place. So I can't imagine a real "sacking" but lately I have been seeing a lot of Frusciante with Flea, Frusciante with Chad... I guess they've come closer again for whatever reason and the thought of playing together again must have been present. 

It must be hard to be in Josh's shoes. He's been with the RHCP for some time now, but he's still generally seen as 'the new guy', and now the generalised cheer to welcome John back... must sting a bit.

Josh is good, but he has a style that I don't think is very well suited to RHCP. Dave Navarro was very different, but he made it work. Josh... not so much.

Looking forward to hearing what they come up with now. Frusciante  brings in a lot of the writing that I like in this band, not just his guitar style and beautiful vocals.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Just seeing if the Wikipedia page had been updated.

Seems JF is paying $53,000 a month to his ex wife since their divorce.

He has to work - so it seems.

Ouch.

But that would probably mean there will be a new album soon ;)

The guy alone could release 4 albums a year!

There’s so much I want to say on this thread.

1. Awesome, Frusciante + Flea + Chad Smith = Magik

2.  My favourite Frusciante album is To Record only water For 10 day. Murderers & Ramparts are amazing!

3. I think RHCP albums all have their own merit, BSSM is a masterpiece, Californication is unforgettable, and By The Way has some incredible tracks on it.  I am happy to see all the love for Venice Queen, I also love On Mercury, Minor Thing.

4. Really looking forward to what RHCP will release...But the older I get the less i like Flea’s bass tone.

44 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

There’s so much I want to say on this thread.

1. Awesome, Frusciante + Flea + Chad Smith = Magik

2.  My favourite Frusciante album is To Record only water For 10 day. Murderers & Ramparts are amazing!

3. I think RHCP albums all have their own merit, BSSM is a masterpiece, Californication is unforgettable, and By The Way has some incredible tracks on it.  I am happy to see all the love for Venice Queen, I also love On Mercury, Minor Thing.

4. Really looking forward to what RHCP will release...But the older I get the less i like Flea’s bass tone.

If flea uses his blue Wal, everything will be ok

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 4000 said:

I remember first hearing the solo to I Could Have Lied and really not getting it. Then one day it fell into place, in the context of the lyrics that precede it, and that was it. 

FWIW I love Californication, every bit as much as BSSM. It’s just different, more song orientated. 

I've loved that solo since back in the days and it put him on my all time list. There's countless guitarists who can shred like hell, but few who could get close playing those few, sparse notes with the same emotion and feel that JF delivers. 

Sad to see Josh go, as he brought something new to the band and I liked their last album. JF will always be the iconic RHCP guitarist, but each time he rejoins I think it's a new story, so time will tell if it's the right thing for him and the band. Let's hope so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

If flea uses his blue Wal, everything will be ok

The Bastard!!! I bought a stingray in 1993 with my first part time job because I thought that's what he used to record BSSM, then wondered why I couldn't get close to THAT tone. Then years later I read that most of it was recorded on the Wal. So obvious now in the age of YouTube vids and sound samples. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mingsta said:

The Bastard!!! I bought a stingray in 1993 with my first part time job because I thought that's what he used to record BSSM, then wondered why I couldn't get close to THAT tone. Then years later I read that most of it was recorded on the Wal. So obvious now in the age of YouTube vids and sound samples. 

The other day I was watching some footage I shot a few years ago of me playing my old Wal Pro II. I really wish I hadn’t sold that bass, although I could only play it seated now due to the weight. FWIW I much preferred it to my Wal Custom, although I currently fancy giving either another go. Just a small matter of enormous amounts of cash..l

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Is he tiny?

Pretty small, yes. Although I’m six foot so not quite sure how small, but a lot smaller than me. But they’re all pretty small apart from Will Ferrell, sorry, Chad. 😉

Most famous musicians I’ve met are on the small side. Except some of the Proggers, who tend to be pretty tall; Chris Squire in particular springs to mind. Randy Rhoads was tiny

Just now, 4000 said:

Pretty small, yes. Although I’m six foot so not quite sure how small, but a lot smaller than me. But they’re all pretty small apart from Will Ferrell, sorry, Chad. 😉

Most famous musicians I’ve met are on the small side. Except some of the Proggers, who tend to be pretty tall; Chris Squire in particular springs to mind. Randy Rhoads was tiny

In my head I always had you above 6ft - it’s been a while since we last met though.

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I think that’s because most people lie about their height. Based on the supposed heights of many people I know, I’m 6ft 4. 😁

I’m 5’9, I have been 5’10” but my spine has other ideas at the moment.

Booked in with osteopath for January 

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m 5’9, I have been 5’10” but my spine has other ideas at the moment.

Booked in with osteopath for January 

Actually, if my back wasn’t such a mess I might over 6ft! 

Good luck with the osteopathy mate, I hope it works for you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

Actually, if my back wasn’t such a mess I might over 6ft! 

Good luck with the osteopathy mate, I hope it works for you. 

I had several sessions 4/5 years ago - worked wonderfully, up until this year. Iris is heavy but doesn’t move much - so lifting her around has taken its toll...already researching stairlifts. Won’t be doing all this when she’s bigger.

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I had several sessions 4/5 years ago - worked wonderfully, up until this year. Iris is heavy but doesn’t move much - so lifting her around has taken its toll...already researching stairlifts. Won’t be doing all this when she’s bigger.

I sympathise; lifting my cat carriers does me! 

I’ve had loads of chiropractic over the years and it does help, but it’s so expensive and I struggle to afford it these days