Why become a member? ×

Frusciante rejoins RHCP

AndyTravis

Just now, Maude said:

My post, when re-read seems rather negative, it wasn't meant to be. 

I'm really hoping for good stuff. 🤞

If you think about it too - Californication was the result of a 6/7 year gap when JF went off the map (scarily so - theres a horrifically no holds barred Dutch documentary about this period of his life)...

This could be something amazing - I love JF’s ideas on how solo projects but the more pop structure of the band setting reigns it in to being more listenable.

A744A055-F515-449B-84D2-78F1A0EB02F1.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

I also bought Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-shirt. I love you John but man that was hard work! 

The Empyrean is the one I fall to regularly. Just...it must sound awesome in his head - it must. There are glimmers of genius throughout.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The Empyrean is the one I fall to regularly. Just...it must sound awesome in his head - it must. There are glimmers of genius throughout.

I may have to try some of his later ones. Although he states he was not addicted to herion when he recorded Niandra & T-shirt he was clearly in a very bad place. Maybe his healthier lifestyle during the later recordings are reflected. 

It's such a shame he's been so troubled/ill equipped to cope with the fame. 

Let's hope that all behind him and he can embrace the love that people have for him. He certainly looks much happier. 

1 minute ago, Maude said:

I may have to try some of his later ones. Although he states he was not addicted to herion when he recorded Niandra & T-shirt he was clearly in a very bad place. Maybe his healthier lifestyle during the later recordings are reflected. 

It's such a shame he's been so troubled/ill equipped to cope with the fame. 

Let's hope that all behind him and he can embrace the love that people have for him. He certainly looks much happier. 

I remember watching “Off the Map” and thinking ‘oh wow, he must’ve been in a bad fire for his arms to look that bad’ - and then I read it was a result of his drug abuse. 

I will say - the times I’ve seen them live, he’s just something else. 

• Like 1

I adore JF's playing, I didn't mind Josh, there were plenty of good tracks on his RHCP albums, but John was the reason I first picked up a guitar.

I do wonder how this will go though- He seems to have ongoing issues with performing live with that band and I thought that was a big reason why he quit second time round and why it all fell apart the first time.  I'm sure I read that he just doesn't enjoy the playing live (something I can relate too).

BSSM is nearly 30 years old; it's so long ago that people hoping they'll recreate some of that magic is akin to Ace Frehley rejoining Kiss (again), so he'll be able to do Destroyer II.

I liked BSSM on release, but think (despite the ongoing adoration) that they played their best hand there and then.  Much like Weezer, it took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I don't really like them.  I tried though.

It’s great news of course. The next album will be influenced by whatever John is absorbing - I remember reading an article about the recording of their last two albums with him and John states that whatever he was listening to at that time was directly influencing the way he was playing. With By The Way it was a lot of ambient stuff, a lot of textural playing, which you can certainly hear on that record, and with Stadium Arcadium, he was getting off on early Van Halen, which is reflected in his fairly OTT solos on that album. I hope he’s not doing it just for the money, he doesn’t strike me as the sort of artist that can force it for the sake of a pay cheque. They have some big live dates coming up next year, so I would imagine they’ll get in the way of any recording process. Can’t see us getting an album for 12 months. I hope it’s worth the wait.

Glad that he’s rejoined, but not sure it’ll make much difference for me now.

I loved their early stuff with Hillel and  Jack Irons/Cliff Martinez - the Rollins-esque almost hardcore stuff morphing into the funkier UMPP and then into MM. BSSM remains their apotheosis for me - I basically learnt how to play music from that album - but I also liked One Hot Minute, and saw them on that tour. 

For me, Californication lost some of the swagger and funk and became far more melodic and introspective and its been that way since. I like some of the tunes off that and BTW, but Stadium Arcadium felt instantly forgettable to me (not sure I could name many tracks off it) and the transition to the ‘chugging verse, long note chorus’ stuff all felt really repetitive. 

I sort of feel they’re not the same band as they were - their career is one of two halves and I prefer the first. MHO of course. 

• Like 1

Strange band . Awesome talent .  Did they have a rivalry with faith no more , or was that just paper talk? 
I saw them on the positive mental octopus tour at the marquee . Great gig and totally raw and fun . Saw them at Brixton with Henry Rollins supporting . I cannot remember the albums that they were touring with, but after seeing the marquee gig , I purchased mother's milk. I played it a few times and hated it , so off it went . I like blood sugar sex magic ( apart from under the fridge). Although I think one hot minute is definitely on a par . I bought the californication album and found it patchy . Saw them at Wembley arena when they played the entire gig wearing a sock each . I didn't enjoy that gig ,and not sure what album was being promoted . 

Haven't bothered with them since , and cannot remember the last time I played their stuff. 
when I was in my last band about 10 years ago, we started playing by the way which I detest, but a lot of people like it. 
I saw them on jools Holland a few years back , and they seemed to be enjoying theirselves . Sounded good , but I have no idea what album they were promoting .

31 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Did they have a rivalry with faith no more , or was that just paper talk? 

Yeah there was something, Mike Patton took the Wazz out of Anthony Kiedis and it went back and forth a bit.

All early 90’s nonsense.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, steantval said:

Never rated any of the guitarists with RHCP, in particular the lead solo work, always came over as disjointed and not melodic, a bit like somebody just learning and not quite getting the string bends right 👎

Frusciante's tone always sounds thin to me and I don't rate his rhythm playing either. Never understood this kudos he gets.

7 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Frusciante's tone always sounds thin to me and I don't rate his rhythm playing either. Never understood this kudos he gets.

File under 'Iconic'. 

Technically not that good, but brings something to the party somehow... I lost interest after they discovered the concept of the arena anthem.  I don't blame them one bit, but the stuff I've heard since just didn't tickle my nads in the same way as earlier stuff.

1 hour ago, odysseus said:

File under 'Iconic'. 

Technically not that good, but brings something to the party somehow... I lost interest after they discovered the concept of the arena anthem.  I don't blame them one bit, but the stuff I've heard since just didn't tickle my nads in the same way as earlier stuff.

this...using a looper like a genius. Love this song, and performance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I think of him as, for want of a better description, the Van Gogh of guitar playing. He’s not trying to be beautiful and technical. I remember first hearing the solo to I Could Have Lied and really not getting it. Then one day it fell into place, in the context of the lyrics that precede it, and that was it. 

FWIW I love Californication, every bit as much as BSSM. It’s just different, more song orientated.

My favourite RHCP track is actually Venice Queen. I love BSSM but I don’t need them to be that band forever. I’m quite happy that they’ve evolved; it’d be bloody boring for them - and me probably - if they hadn’t. Them not constantly redoing BSSM shouldn’t mean anything; they still did it and it still exists. I’m actually not that mad on Mother’s Milk, to be honest, at least compared to some of the other albums.

• Like 2