Why become a member? ×

Bugera Fake Valve Glow

King Tut

Most preamp valves do glow visibly, but the filament and plate structure varies even within the same valve type, so you can see more of the heater filament on some than others.  It's not usually a strong enough glow to light up the whole inside of the amp and shine out through the vents, as seems to be the fashion with a lot of recent gear!

4 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I always thought it would be fun to build a solid state amp with some valves in, with just then heaters  connected. Climate change means I will never get around to it now. 

Ah, like my idea of putting an SMPS and Class D power amp in a 3U rack case with a couple of house bricks to see if anyone could hear the heft!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Ah, like my idea of putting an SMPS and Class D power amp in a 3U rack case with a couple of house bricks to see if anyone could hear the heft!

Climate change will also do for house bricks sadly. in the same way they will for thermionic valves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2019 at 09:53, King Tut said:

So I've learned from this thread that most lighty up amps are lit by LEDs and not valves and that preamp valves don't usually glow. Thanks fellas. Anyone else out there rocking a Veyron T at the moment?

Yes I have had mine for 18 months. I have the mosfet model also and love them both. The only strange thing with them is when powering the amp on the mute is disengaged.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Quilly said:

sorry , but that’s a wee bit naff for my liking 🙄, valve heads sound great , no need for go-faster stripes. I suppose the Bugera has an outlandish power rating to match. Enough to power a small house 😂😂. Just opinions mind 😉

Despite the power rating claims - and that's been done to death elsewhere, make no mistake that these are bloody loud amps. I'm using mine regularly with Stray who aren't exactly a quiet bunch of shrinking violets, and the volume on tap is ample.

• Like 1

The glow is most effective when the color changes as you play a good loud note.The blue is a beautiful vision indeed ! Not little tubes - I mean the big output tubes like my first amp , a 50w Bassman .All I had to do is turn out the house lights and stand behind the amp ! 

Edited by grenadillabama
embelish

On 21/01/2020 at 11:30, King Tut said:

Despite the power rating claims - and that's been done to death elsewhere, make no mistake that these are bloody loud amps. I'm using mine regularly with Stray who aren't exactly a quiet bunch of shrinking violets, and the volume on tap is ample.

Amen to that. You'd think Bugera were the only company with a marketing department. 

I respect other people's right to mention the 2000w figure whenever it is discussed, of course I do.

For myself it could say on the box it is made in outer space by the Clangers and I could not possibly care less.How does it sound, is it reliable, is it loud enough, how bulky and heavy is it? The only questions I have for this or any other amp. 

Ok, maybe how pretty is it too! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Amen to that. You'd think Bugera were the only company with a marketing department. 

I respect other people's right to mention the 2000w figure whenever it is discussed, of course I do.

For myself it could say on the box it is made in outer space by the Clangers and I could not possibly care less.How does it sound, is it reliable, is it loud enough, how bulky and heavy is it? The only questions I have for this or any other amp. 

Ok, maybe how pretty is it too! 

And ikt has a rude name. We're all suckers for a rude name!

• Haha 1