Why become a member? ×

Rig advice

MJE

I play in a function band gigging fairly regularly (once or twice a week) in pubs, clubs and wedding venues with a set list of Funk, Soul and Disco tunes (all finger style, quite percussive playing with elements of slap every now and again). Through my day job working for a creative music company and through dep work, I get thrown in to a whole load of different genres too so I need to make sure my sound is adaptable. 

My current set up is:

MM Stingray > Zoom B3 (DI to FoH) > Mark Bass CMD 121P + NY121 ext. cab

I just wanted to get an insight in to what rig others might choose if they were in a similar situation. What amp would you use and what would be on your pedal board? I’m totally happy with my bass but I’m feeling like a change with my amp and definitely with the Zoom B3 (purchased as I’ve kind of fallen into bass playing and don’t have a whole load of knowledge surrounding it so was just looking for quick tonal fixes...). 

I’m not talking about best case scenario rigs but something that’s affordable, lightweight for regular use (and easy transportation in a small car!) and powerful enough to fill the types of venues listed above. 

Any help or advice greatly appreciated! 

Your amp/cab is a great set up for most situations I think. Small, light, portable and all the power you should need.
Maybe look at something different pedal wise (although the B3 has some love here) I’m not a fan of multi effects, so perhaps some individual pedals to cover whatever your set list require? Compressor, overdrive, envelope filter for your funk?

3 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Your amp/cab is a great set up for most situations I think. Small, light, portable and all the power you should need.
Maybe look at something different pedal wise (although the B3 has some love here) I’m not a fan of multi effects, so perhaps some individual pedals to cover whatever your set list require? Compressor, overdrive, envelope filter for your funk?

Yes great - any you would recommend specifically? Please treat me as a total novice! 

9 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Do you need to fill the venue if there is FOH PA?

Is your rig only for stage monitoring?

Sorry the initial post wasn’t very clear. For the most part, yes it’s only onstage noise (but I’m battling with drums, guitar and two keys guys and find it difficult when most bass rigs seem to just blow past your knees - have tried a simple IEM monitor system but struggled with tonal qualities!). There are times when only a vocal rig is available so the amp needs to do all of the work. 

6 hours ago, MJE said:

I just wanted to get an insight in to what rig others might choose if they were in a similar situation. What amp would you use and what would be on your pedal board?

I play in a wedding/function band, and my bass guitar setup is a small pedal board with a Mojomojo (overdrive) and an EBS preamp which I use just for a small low-mids boost.  The DI from that then goes to FOH.

What effects/patches do you use on your Zoom?  I used to use Zooms and I thought they sounded great.  However what I like about my current setup is that there are physical knobs right in front me which are hard-wired to their function.  So for example if I suddenly find I need some more treble, I just turn the treble knob - I don't have to remember how to scroll through to that setting in a menu, etc.

If you're not happy with the Zoom, many people are using one of the Helix options.  I've not used one myself but by all accounts they are great and I sometimes feel tempted to try one out.  For me it's probably overkill as I basically have just two tones for the whole gig (overdrive on, or overdrive off...).

We normally have full PA with subs.  My preference is to use in-ears and fortunately we have a digital mixer which makes it easy for each person independently to control their own mix.  If you can explore this option some more, I'd really recommend doing it.

most bass rigs seem to just blow past your knees

If I'm not using in-ears, I have an RCF 732A which is a 12" powered speaker which I put in the wedge position in front of me, pointing up at my face.  This is the best thing ever - I can hear myself so clearly.  The tone is rich and full, with solid low end.  Love it!

The sound engineer also prefers this position, as I'm not sending bass out into the front.

Another good thing is that the RCF being a flat PA speaker means that what I hear from it is pretty much the same as what I'm sending to FOH.  I don't think Markbass is particularly coloured - but an example would be if those cabs are rolling off some highs, in turn you might be over-doing how much highs you are sending to FOH.

If my band don't have a PA for whatever reason, or we don't have the subs available, I'll set up the same RCF 732A behind me, like a traditional bass rig.  I can't quantify what the dispersion is compared to a Markbass or other bass cabs, but I seem to be able to hear myself pretty well most of the time (not as good as the wedge position though).

Your setup (with two 12" cabs) will surely go louder than mine, but I'm not sure I'd ever want to do anything other than match the volume of the acoustic drumkit - otherwise, if I am louder than the drums, surely to the audience the balance between the instruments will be wrong.  I've never wanted or needed to be louder than I can go with the RCF.  The band line-up varies a bit, but it's typically bass, drums, one or two keys, guitar, four horns, two singers.  Do you find you need to push your setup quite hard to get the volume you require, or is it just ticking over?

easy transportation in a small car

I have a small hatchback and the above gear easily fits in the boot out of sight.

Edited by jrixn1

Your rig looks fine to me.

But if I have to recommend another, I'm currently using an Aguilar AG700 through 2 Barefaced cabs. . . . . . . and no pedals. I don't need any in order to get a great sound with this rig. Start with a good amp and one cab and see if you need the second one. You probably won't.

25 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

If you're not happy with the Zoom, many people are using one of the Helix options. 

^^ this, I've never been a fan of multi effects before and I hated the Zoom B3 - I found it so difficult to use.  I sold it and invested in a few good pedals, MXR, Darkglass etc.

But recently on a semi-whim I picked up a Helix FX on a black Friday offer and have been mighty impressed.  I'm now selling my individual pedals because it's covering what I used plus a heap more.   There are a few Helix options, the FX and Stomp run around the £400 mark - which is about the same as 3-4 dedicated pedals (depending on what you go for).  The stomp has amp / cab aims which would be useful if you're going straight to a desk or FOH. 

I went for the FX as it had more foot switches and if I need DI I'll take it from the amp head.