Why become a member? ×

Incoming Ashdown

jimmy23cricket

I got one a few weeks ago - as all have said, they're great amps! I particularly like the bit of edge engaging the valve gets you. I have it set so it's not in your face, but it just adds warmth and will snarl a bit if I dig in a bit more. Enjoy! 

Edited by MichaelDean

1 minute ago, jimmy23cricket said:

Quick run through last night. Nice bottom end indeed. Quick question on the valve drive though, how sensitive are they? Cranked mine right up and and best its more like a boost rather than an out and out drive?

That the same on all yours?

Don't know if the same would be true for the Evos, but I've found with my CTM heads that if you really want to make them crunch, your best bet is to push the mid frequencies. Might be a different story if the Evo has a dedicated drive stage, but if there's any similarity with their voicing, the mids will probably give you the clarity to help that lovely soft clipping to shine through.

25 minutes ago, jimmy23cricket said:

Quick run through last night. Nice bottom end indeed. Quick question on the valve drive though, how sensitive are they? Cranked mine right up and and best its more like a boost rather than an out and out drive?

Yep it just warms and thickens the sound of mine. Close your eyes and it could be an all valve head with the gain set not too high. 

Not an overdriven distortion - unless it's up full and you really dig in then it breaks up a bit. But I don't think it's really meant for that. 

It's more to give the sound a little valve compression and dirty things up so it's not too smooth. I find it helps the bass in the mix and gives it character. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yep it just warms and thickens the sound of mine. Close your eyes and it could be an all valve head with the gain set not too high. 

Not an overdriven distortion - unless it's up full and you really dig in then it breaks up a bit. But I don't think it's really meant for that. 

It's more to give the sound a little valve compression and dirty things up so it's not too smooth. I find it helps the bass in the mix and gives it character. 

Yeah, exactly this on mine too. 

8 hours ago, jimmy23cricket said:

Yes, it thickens the sound up, adds harmonics and if you dig in some grit but not a pedal-like drive.