Why become a member? ×

'73 precision

24 hr auction on a rather "used " looking precision?

Interesting(??) feedback and trading history.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1973-Fender-Precision-Bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ200137694574QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZiewItem"]here[/url]

item no. 200137694574 if page not responding

Why is ebay turning me into such a suspicious old git?

Edited by barneythedog

The usual fake busting questions have been raised (what's the serial number, have you got some better pics, local pickup/cash in hand alright?). I expect either no response or a heap of bull about how their camera is broken and some rubbish spiel about how they can't have someone come round to pick up the bass.

You have to be super suspicious on ebay. Too many scammers these days. I got done recently with a 4Gb SD card. Supposedly from the UK, it arrived from Hong Kong, stuck it in my card reader and it had a virus on it! Doesn't work in all my devices. Sure I could send it back to Hong Kong, but for the sake of £20 it's probably best to frame the bloody thing and hang it on the wall as a reminder never to get sucked in again.

If it's too good to be true, then it isn't true. FACT.

[quote name='99ster' post='41214' date='Aug 4 2007, 10:23 AM']I have to agree - this one just smells bad.
The 'feedback' is just bizarre!
Scammer? For sure.[/quote]

Typical scammer trick - buy loads of low value items to bump up your feedback rating and hope bidders don't actually bother to check the feedback. Interesting approach using almost exclusively private auctions though. Must watch out for that in future.

Hardly odd at all that his 4 most recent purchases are how to repair bad credit. Maybe he was interested in how to do this... but 4 times!

Stinks.

Notice how he describes the bass as having a softcase and it's in a hard one; tortie guard fitted when it's black.

His feedback accreditation is what would worry me the most.

I was impressed that he "always try to describe my items as they are". But he's only sold one thing before (to another dodgy looking account).

Also that all his purchases are low value "digital delivery" (no postage needed!)

just f**ks me off that there are people constantly going around doing this. I use ebay a lot and am fed up of the bad reputation it gives to honest sellers.

Check feedback (properly), check their previous buyers, registration date and location, quality of advert, and then if you are AT ALL suspicious walk away - there will always be another one along soon.

Response to my query:

"it has been expertly packed and is in the warehouse ready for immediate shipping, i cannot break the packaging to take photos or check serial numbers. The damage is minimal and has been sorted. i have a hard case and softcase which i will prove with this."

Get stuffed.

He now also has a Strat Bass guitar for sale! Item number: 200138031279

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200138031279&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BID_IT&refitem=200137694574&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...s_promot_widget[/url]

asked for strat serial no. Got the same "already packed" reply.

He states the guitar and handbook have matching serial numbers in his ad, yet he doesn't know what they are ...........?

Unfortunately looks like he's got another two unsuspecting buyers, and now he's trying to cover his tracks. Feedback now private, and his only previous buyer has mysteriously de-registered.

Makes my blood boil. :) :huh: