Why become a member? ×

ESP AP-5 REVIEW - OH DEAR!

doc40hz

https://www.espguitars.com/products/21002-ap-5

Just received this bass. Ticks all my boxes; 5 string, PJ configuration, EMGs, high mass bridge, metalic blue, U shaped neck, ebony finger  board. 

However.......

Due to Babicz bridges enormous saddles, it wont intone. The saddle is back as far as it will go and the B and E strings are still 20% sharp. The only solution would be to remount the bridge about 1cm back!

It has to go back, which is unfortunate as it's a really nice bass otherwise; the Pickups sound great, the neck is comfortable, the action is low and it looks fantastic. 

I'll probably do a video review on my youtube channel before it goes back. 

What a shame! 

Not being able to correctly set up the intonation on the low B and E is a more common problem than many people think. Especially for those of us who only play flatwounds. I feel your pain. I have been known to remove the spring from each of the saddles in question, to be able to push the saddle back a millimetre or so. So far it has worked on all my basses, but it ain't a particularly neat solution.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

Just now, Silvia Bluejay said:

Not being able to correctly set up the intonation on the low B and E is a more common problem than many people think. Especially for those of us who only play flatwounds. I feel your pain. I have been know to remove the spring from each of the saddles in question, to be able to push the saddle back a millimetre or so. So far it has worked on all my basses, but it ain't a particularly neat solution.

Agreed man - even removing the spring it is still very sharp :(

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah. It would seem it - what a shame as it ticks so many boxes. Would a BA2/Omega work - bit more travel?

36 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah. It would seem it - what a shame as it ticks so many boxes. Would a BA2/Omega work - bit more travel?

I think the problem would be the same tbh. 

6 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

What are the saddles actually like?

On Sandbergs you can take em out and turn em back to front to give a little more life in intonation, alter the break angle

Not possible, they are a unique and unisomeric shape.

Dropping the action to about 1.5mm from 2.5mm on the B *just* got it intonated but, unsurprisingly, there was far too much fret buzz! The overall design is just not fit for purpose. It's a bit of a poor show from ESP as they must know this is a problem. I also note that Thomann already has two of these basses as B stock. Soon to be three when mine gets back to them!

On 15/12/2019 at 10:42, doc40hz said:

https://www.espguitars.com/products/21002-ap-5

Just received this bass. Ticks all my boxes; 5 string, PJ configuration, EMGs, high mass bridge, metalic blue, U shaped neck, ebony finger  board. 

However.......

Due to Babicz bridges enormous saddles, it wont intone. The saddle is back as far as it will go and the B and E strings are still 20% sharp. The only solution would be to remount the bridge about 1cm back!

It has to go back, which is unfortunate as it's a really nice bass otherwise; the Pickups sound great, the neck is comfortable, the action is low and it looks fantastic. 

I'll probably do a video review on my youtube channel before it goes back. 

What a shame! 

If you really like the bass, why not email ESP and see what they have to say?

Edited by yorks5stringer

49 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But given that the cheapest ESP Japan 5-string bass is ¥370,000 which equates to £2500 it's a valid comparison.

I get where you are going with proportions, but in all honesty 900 shekels is a lot of lolly, if it’s a one off, fair enough, but if it’s a recurring theme in this line, that not cricket. 

• Like 1

Ltd's come in many different spec levels. The top ones are priced between £900-£1200 and in my experience are better equipped than Squires and are usually lovely players.

I'm surprised this one has this issue being one at the higher end. I would definitely see what ESP have to say

Edited by jimmy23cricket

• 3 months later...

I played one of these AP-4s a couple of months ago and was really impressed. Surprised that it won't intonate properly; especially a Babicz bridge. Possibly a faulty bridge or a dead string? 

EDIT: Did you set your witness points correctly?

Edited by ClassicVibes

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello all. and also @doc40hz

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this seems to be a rare mention of an ESP LTD AP-5 on Basschat.

Did anyone ever decide whether the B and E intonation problem on this ESP LTD AP-5 was common to the model, or just isolated to this one example?

I'm thinking about buying a pre-owned one, but it would be an online purchase from 1100km distant, and since the seller is mainly a music instruction institute, I'm not sure I'd trust their assessment of the instrument's intonation, despite whatever willingness or good intentions they may have.  They do have a 7-day return policy, but shipping costs would be my responsibility.

Also, does anyone know if the "Pelham Blue" that was used on ESP LTD AP basses was a "matte" or gloss finish (or somewhere in-between)?    That color is discontinued on the current line of these basses.  Old specs just say "color: Pellham Blue, finish: Metallic". so...  I'm asking here. 🙂

Thanks for any input!