Why become a member? ×

Time To Dust It Off Again

stewblack

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Power of love by frankie goes to holywood (yes, a christmas song) or by huey lewis (not a christmas song)?

Great fun to play, that one.  I was in a very short lived 80s band and this was one we did - loved it :)  Here is a rather bass heavy mix - we didn't get around to final mix on this because the band split.

Yes, big shame - the drummer was ex-pro and absolutely brilliant, guitarist had a great touch, he and she singers looked and sounded great.  It was the age old story - the singers became an item, left their respective partners then believed it was 'their' band to bend into whatever shape they preferred, rather than band we all joined. :( 

• Sad 1

We have Shakey, Slade and a Christmas singalong ready for this time year but every year without fail the one that always goes down every night is Mariah.

We tried the Pogues but quickly realised that it's about a minute of the cheery bit and 4 minutes of depressing dirge

Sadly we're no longer allowed to play my favourite Chrismas song by Gary Glitter

I played Slade wrong for about 20 years then actually sat down and learned the bass line and it's not even close to what you'd expect it to be for the verse

34 minutes ago, kusee pee said:

Slade and Wizzard.  Love trying to remember Wizzard after 12 months.  We have an agreement we're not allowed to practice it first.  It's a complicated little bugger!

This is what I meant. Same with Fairytale for me. Never even give it a moment's thought for the rest of the year then suddenly faced with trying to remember it for one week.

On 14/12/2019 at 16:47, steantval said:

Our guitarist suggested the Slade one for next Saturday, the singer can’t be bothered to learn the lyrics.

Its a pretty tasty bass line by Jim Lea, more difficult than people think, can’t bluff it by just playing root notes, you totally loose the feel.

Yes.  I had to play it last night on a dep gig.  It's far, far more difficult to play than it sounds. :(  It's a brilliant bass part.  I must learn to play it properly.

Frank.

On 14/12/2019 at 15:12, gary mac said:

The Slade one is getting an outing from us tonight. 

On 14/12/2019 at 15:46, gazhowe said:

Slade for us from next weekend. 

Yup, unleashed it last night, and we'll be inflicting on the public again on Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I'd absolutely love to do a ska version of I Wish It Could Be Xmas Every Day, but we've got no rehearsal time before our next gig to arrange and rehearse it. Definitely going to do it next year.

That sounds like a great idea. Will suggest that one for next year, the ska version of things go down well.

It will be a raucous Slade for us on Friday, we only have 1 gig close to xmas so no point learning loads. We did it last year and one of the guitards had barely bothered looking at it and ended up doing some bizarre jazz chord version. Hes the only guitard left now so he'd better get it sorted this time round. For a laugh Ive programmed the opening 5 notes into my macmillan 12 step as a tubular bells patch, might be interesting.

Our gigs last Friday and Saturday, both Christmas parties, 'Santa Baby' (Kylie Minogue?) and 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' went down pretty well. Just had a quick run through at soundcheck and got away with it. An actual Irish bloke got up to help sing Fairytale of New York on Friday, which worked out surprisingly well!