Why become a member? ×

Time To Dust It Off Again

stewblack

31 minutes ago, gary mac said:

That's the one that I always suggest but it falls on deaf ears 🤔

To be fair it doesn't have the widespread appeal of the two we currently do, our guitarist is the one who keeps suggesting it not me! Annoying that the bassist doesn't bother to play along on 99% of the official video as she's a really good player. Toured with Sting, Wayne Shorter and the B52s according to her wiki.

The only Xmas songs which guarantee a full dancefloor for us have been Mariah and Slade.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

Our guitarist suggested the Slade one for next Saturday, the singer can’t be bothered to learn the lyrics.

Its a pretty tasty bass line by Jim Lea, more difficult than people think, can’t bluff it by just playing root notes, you totally loose the feel.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're in a Pogues covers band, it's Xmas every gig. Since we don't have a female singer in the band we have to recruit a  'Kirsty' from the audience, which can be hit or miss.

Usually when this comes up, I like to talk about the excellent Showcase Showdown, but this year as a tribute to Sharon Jones I'm going to rave about 'Aint no chimneys' instead. Bonus point to anyone who can identify the bass:

48 minutes ago, steantval said:

Our guitarist suggested the Slade one for next Saturday, the singer can’t be bothered to learn the lyrics.

Its a pretty tasty bass line by Jim Lea, more difficult than people think, can’t bluff it by just playing root notes, you totally loose the feel.

Have to agree, a very tasty bass line and it only works if the drummer can get the shuffle thing nailed. :)

• Like 1

Slade, Wizzard, Shakin' Stevens, Mariah Carey, Mud, Band Aid and Wham are all in the set list for next weekend. Slade and Shaky are quite fun to play but the rest are dull...  

I did get to play Christmas Wrapping last year. It went down very well but we don't have our female singer anymore, so it got dropped

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Power of love by frankie goes to holywood (yes, a christmas song) or by huey lewis (not a christmas song)?

Sadly not Huey's - I dig that tune - but FGTH, which I recall coming out but can't for the life of me see any Christmas connection. 

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Sadly not Huey's - I dig that tune - but FGTH, which I recall coming out but can't for the life of me see any Christmas connection. 

It was a December number one, and had a nativity-based video 👍

Edited by BreadBin