Why become a member? ×

Preamp wiring problems. Anyone in the Chester area recommended?

vinorange

I picked up a really nice custom luthier made bass on here a couple of months ago with twin soap bar humbuckers but with passive controls. 

In my wisdom I decided to make it active to open up the possibilities of those humbuckers, so I bought a Bartonlini 2 band preamp (which has loads of support tech help and diagrams on line) yet I still can’t get it right despite many attempts so I’m making a cry for help from anyone in the Chester ish area who is adept in the ways of wiring in a preamp....... I think my issue is not getting how to earth things properly but o think it’s time to hand it over to an expert in these matters.....

Edited by vinorange

On 15/12/2019 at 10:49, Hellzero said:

The pickups groundings seam to go ... nowhere !?!

That's the first thing I noticed too.  There are two connector blocks with a grey wire each going to nowhere.  Where have those grey wires been attached to to when you've tried it?  Certainly, the block attached to the pickup earths has to be grounded otherwise nothing is going to happen.

As you say, these things usually are about a dodgy or missing earth.  Tip: follow the earth connection coming from each and every every component and work out how it eventually gets to the earth tag on the jack.  You are likely to find at least one where, following it round, it never gets to the jack.  Trust me, I've done dozens and dozens of circuits and I still occasionally miss one!

• Like 1

Not sure if you need it sorting quickly but I'm in Altrincham area and more than happy to take a look. I'm familiar with that pre-amp, in fact I've got an XCTC hanging around somewhere. Having worked for BT for 42 years I also understand wires and can solder 😁

Trouble is I couldn't look at it until after Xmas. Maybe between Xmas and New Year. If you fancy a trip over, let me know and I'll PM my phone number and we can have a chat.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Not sure if you need it sorting quickly but I'm in Altrincham area and more than happy to take a look. I'm familiar with that pre-amp, in fact I've got an XCTC hanging around somewhere. Having worked for BT for 42 years I also understand wires and can solder 😁

Trouble is I couldn't look at it until after Xmas. Maybe between Xmas and New Year. If you fancy a trip over, let me know and I'll PM my phone number and we can have a chat.

Thanks so much for the offer. I’ve took all the bits out now and shipped them off already to a very kind & very handy fellow basschatter who’s taking a look for me. Thanks though.

• Like 1

I just thought I’d add that the reason for the connector blocks and grey wires is because on my first attempt I got no output so I thought I’d isolate the pickup grounds and try earthing them to a few different places - copper shield, base of pots etc. However it had no effect and I still ended up with nothing! Hence the cry for help.....