Why become a member? ×

IBANEZ BTB 1825

NotAsGoodAsJaco

Can anybody help!?

Recently bought a new ibanez btb 1825. Just changed the strings to Elixir nanoweb long scale with extra long B string as it is a 35" scale bass and the regular long scale B is too short.

Since changing strings there is now a noticeable difference between the B and the E string in terms of string spacing. It is narrower than the 19mm it should be. I know that as these two are the thickest strings, the distance between their edges will be smaller but their middle to middle distance should still be 19mm. It wasn't a problem with the strings that were supplied with the bass.

Also the btb has five individual bridges and the B string bridge seems slightly squint- this may be deliberate as im sure these basses and computer manufactured. I'll try and attach two photos- one of the B bridge and one of the B and E distance.  Any help gratefully received!

20191213_234614.jpg

20191213_233226.jpg

I've had a look at your pics and other photos of similar bridges on't t'internet and have a possible idea for you to check out. It looks as if there is a difference in gap between "Gap A" and "Gap B" this angle would push the strings closer together. What's caused it? There's 2 screws holding the bridge in place. If "Screw 1" has come loose then the whole bridge could rotate around "Screw2". It looks like the bridge peices are recessed into the bass body. This would allow the bridge base to rotate until it came into contact with the body which apears to account for the "Gap??" at one side and none at the other. I would remove the B string, check the alignment position of the bridge, make sure the screws are tight enough and re-string. Hope you find the solution.

image.png.36db8fb226fddaf71b850550d33e2228.png

28 minutes ago, NotAsGoodAsJaco said:

Thanks. That's a great answer. The bass is brand new and everything is very tight but i will have a look at screws etc. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. When i looked at official ibanez pictures,  it does seem as though the B string bridge is not straight and is therefore deliberate. What do you think?

Mike

The bridge peices should be parralel. Thats the way they're usually set up. I've not heard of setting them up with angles in between.

Just thought....check the E string for the same problem. If one or both have moved it could add up to the same reduced string spacing problem.

Just now, NotAsGoodAsJaco said:

The E string saddle seems parallel to the A string. I can see what you mean about the screw at the front of the (B) saddle can be loose or may have even been drilled incorrectly?

It may still be drilled incorrectly but you said that the change came after swapping strings. If the hole was wrong I would have thought the original strings would have had the same problem as you have now.

That's exactly right and that's why it's so difficult to understand. I'm going to remove both the E and B string to measure the distance between the two bridge saddles as they should be 19mm. The older string that came fitted with the bass was a slightly narrower B so may not have been as noticeable. It's a real freak out though...

Your annotated diagram was really helpful and i sent it to my luthier.

• Like 1