Why become a member? ×

Single again...

BrunoBass

I think if I were in the situation where I were fired from my band and asked to play next and show and agreed, the period between firing and gig would eat me up. I would be constantly wondering what I did wrong. Playing is obviously good enough if wanted for next show! In the end I'd just work myself into a rage. Op's former band mates handled this terribly. 

On 14/12/2019 at 08:49, Skybone said:

As you're officially out of the band, and have been asked to play the gig as a 'dep', then I would be asking how much they're going to pay you for being a session bass player.

If the figure they come up with isn't the right one, tell them to rethink or you don't play the gig. Don't be greedy, just make sure you're getting paid to cover your costs, and a reasonable hourly rate for your time.

This. Best suggestion.

• Like 2

I remember your original post when the drummer sped off shouting abuse @BrunoBass that night.

Sounds like the BL is displaying poor judgement if not moral cowardice siding with the abusive, childish member of the team. 

I think the right thing to do is rise above it all and do the gig showing them you are not in the least bit going to stoop to their level. 

However, in your shoes they would be dead to me and I'd never speak to them again. 

Good luck, hope this is the springboard to better things. 

• Thanks 1

I remember that post as well. Didn't realise it was same band.

I def couldn't work with that kind of attitude / behaviour and that would have been the deciding factor on me leaving a band.

For me playing in bands is mainly for fun. Sure the money is a bonus but if i'm not enjoying working with people then its no longer fun and what's the point ? Why put yourself thru that.

• Like 2

If I were in the OP's position, my reaction to 'you're fired, oh and will you play the gig' would have been in three stages:

1. Laugh.

2. "Hell will freeze over before I do that. Good luck."

3. Stand up, walk away, no backward glance, never speak to them again. If meeting is in a pub, abandon pint if necessary just to show that you mean business.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow! My opinion took a bit of a beating!

It's only a flesh wound....

I'd go with a t-shirt "Sacked bass player looking for new band" no?

It sounds like a sh1tty way to deal with the situation that, I guess @BrunoBass, you were really aware of until the drummer brought it to a head. Does it not point to poor communication - openness and honesty within the band? Blokes aren't always good at doing that imho. The timing - I just don't understand at all.

I still think it's wise to factor in the "you never know what might happen in the near future" type thinking - it's paid off for me a few times. I don't know the history of what's gone on though over the the time you've been in the band - what do you really want @BrunoBass?

Dep rate idea does sounds reasonable if you're open to doing it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

Wow! My opinion took a bit of a beating!

It's only a flesh wound....

Hey, not at all, I very much think this thread needs a thoughtful voice of reason in juxtaposition to our reactions. It’s easy to tip beer over everyone’s head and burn your bridges but harder to be the more reasonable person. However, I am, by all accounts, unreasonable so I must express that in my responses.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, phil.c60 said:

Or, if you think it's down to the drummer, speak to the singer/guitarist, find another drummer for the gig (even if it has to be a dep) and fire this one the week before the gig. Or even on the day of it......

Only my opinion , but that guy seems spineless and also part of it .

if he was a decent , straightforward kinda guy he wouldn't have agreed to the sacking . 2 against one is a horrible situation to be in . Sounds 2 faced . 
I do wonder if the band was called Bruno and the backstabbers 😼

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I think the right thing to do is rise above it all and do the gig showing them you are not in the least bit going to stoop to their level 

I tend to agree with this sentiment , and agree with some of the points lemonstar raised.

Sure ,it just a pub band , but musicians tend to be a fairly close knit community, and word gets about who's reliable and easy to get on with , and who's a bit unhinged .

Life is loaded with rejection , sure , it feels pretty lousy , but sometimes you can turn it around to your benefit .

Good luck which ever way you go .

2 hours ago, martin8708 said:

.Sure ,it just a pub band , but musicians tend to be a fairly close knit community, and word gets about who's reliable and easy to get on with , and who's a bit unhinged .

Well, in that case its the drummer and his stooges that are unhinged, not Bruno.

If indeed, word gets around musicians, then it will come out that the band sacked their bass player for completely the wrong reason, then had the audacity to want him to cover their impending gig.

Now ,  think about the ones who are unhinged ?  I know what my guess would be.

Of course,  Bruno could always find religion, turn the other cheek, and they can slap the other side of his face as well

Edited by fleabag

4 hours ago, Rich said:

If I were in the OP's position, my reaction to 'you're fired, oh and will you play the gig' would have been in three stages:

1. Laugh.

2. "Hell will freeze over before I do that. Good luck."

3. Stand up, walk away, no backward glance, never speak to them again. If meeting is in a pub, abandon pint if necessary just to show that you mean business.

1. Laugh

2 "Hell will freeze over before I do that. Good luck"

3. Slowly finish pint in silence

4. Stand up, walk away, no backward glance, never speak to them again.

• Like 2

I've never been in a proper gigging band, where we go out regularly and get paid for doing so. 

Makes me wonder why contracts are not more common place.  For me once you start gigging, and your paid it's more than just a hobby.  I've also seen member of some bands clubbing together for PA's and Lighting rigs.  Seems to me that it is not uncommon for things to fall apart and one band member getting screwed out of a paying gig (that's lost income) or losing their share of joint owned equipment.

If I ever do get back into bands and we start gigging for money, I'll want some assurances.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

What a situation. You know these guys better than we do, obviously, and your conclusion that this was all driven by the drummer is probably correct. If this has been pending since your clash over his playing a little while back, he's probably just been maneuvering to sack you since then anyway. The fact that the guitarist didn't have anything to say over the matter makes me think all the more that the drummer was the motivator behind this. I'd tell them to stick the gig up their derrières. 

• Like 2

The only reason to do the gig is not to let the audience and the organisers down. It's a multi-band event so it's fairly unlikely they can't fill up the time. 

Would you ever want to perform with the singer? If so send him a polite note wishing them well but saying you don't blame him but you won't be working with the drummer again. If not, well they pushed you so you owe them nothing. 

Make sure you let the organisers know they sacked you just before the gig, inevitably if they back out they will blame you, you don't want your reputation dented.

Leave it at that, I suspect the band is doomed, no plans and a desire to stop playing the stuff that gets them the bookings for originals by a drummer who can't keep time or control his emotions. That can only go one way

Good luck with your new band.

It hurts, I was sacked rather messily by a drummer who sped up in every song, lost the beat on most of the fills and who couldn't play triplets. I was gracious (ish) and to be fair he has passed a few gigs on to me and my new band. 

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

The only reason to do the gig is not to let the audience and the organisers down. It's a multi-band event so it's fairly unlikely they can't fill up the time. 

Think that is actually a valid point worth considering. Its not just the band that would be let down, its the organisers and those that have bought tickets. 

Hadn't really looked at it that way. If i was to do the gig i would as always give it my all as the audience were not the ones that did the dirty on you.

An interesting viewpoint that would make me think twice about it.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Seriously? Far too much Christmas spirit of good will going around here! 

Reputation? It's a pub pand for chr1sts sake, your rep will be tomorrows fish n chip paper. Me? I'd tell 'em I'd do the gig and then on the day just not turn up, stuff them, appalling behaviour and I hope it brings them crashing down in a pile of flames. You put in over 4 years of faithfully turning up to gigs and rehersals with a car crash of a drummer and this  how they treat you after all you've been through? Can't believe people would even think about "honouring" this forthcoming gig, you don't treat people like that and then have the bl@ddy nerve to ask them to play on! What?!! Scr3w 'em all!!!! Edit..written after drink was consumed and I'm not really that Mardi-honest!

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Do you, as a band, have any sort of written contract or agreement about how the band runs?

If not then you are all, in law, equals in a partnership by agreement and all equally own all the common assets of the band. As soon as you started working together for a common cause you're in a partnership. By sacking you they have technically dissolved the partnership,  and you now all equally own the assets. In particular the right to use the name. Court cases on this go on for decades (Bucks Fizz), but that is the case. Plenty of web sites on band law to reference. 

So you could very politely point this out to them, and ask that they pay you for the gig and then buy out your share of what they think the name is worth if they wish to continue. Since you hold the social media passwords, do absolutely nothing at all on those sites, nothing malicious especially. 

If there is no desire to pay you for the gig or the name, then you own it as much as they do, so after the gig do as you wish.

If you do have a written agreement that takes precedence of course.

• Like 1