Why become a member? ×

Single again...

BrunoBass

So I've read most of this thread... I'd be tempted to do the gig. Naked. And play only the root note for each song. By that I mean if the song is in E, only play the note of E. Timing is optional. 

Or you could play and shout at the drummer "KEEP TIME YOU STUPID C***!!!" every time he speeds up or slows down. 

In all seriousness I wouldn't do the gig if I were you. If the drummer speeds up and slows down unless the rest of the band is ducks-bum-tight enough to cover for his deficiencies then it really shows and makes everyone look rubbish. If he's that much of an derrière too chances are everyone else on the scene knows. So your cv will not be at all blemished by not doing a gig after you've been fired and reasonable musos will probably say they can't believe you held out so long without walking away. 

Or you could do the gig naked, smash a bass before the end of the first half, shout at the drummer, set fire to the singers hair and flounce out the door. Your choice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 13/12/2019 at 23:41, BrunoBass said:

Thank you. 

I have no intention of doing the gig; it’s like dumping your girlfriend and still expecting her to accompany you to a pre arranged event, it’s not going to happen. 

I told them I’d have to think about it, but by that time I just wanted get the hell out of there and go home. I think they know I won’t be playing it. 

Glad to hear that. If YOU quit it's reasonable to "serve out your notice" while they get a replacement. If they fire you there's no notice to serve - they can't have it both ways. What utter... [feel free to finish the sentence whichever way you choose].

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/12/2019 at 08:37, King Tut said:

And if anyone asks why you didn't do the gig, just tell em you were sacked.

And sacked over a month before the gig too... If @BrunoBass has already popped up on his FB account a status along the lines of "...Band just sacked me out of the blue..." absolutely no-one is expecting that he's going to be there for "the big gig". Except the chancers in the band.

• Like 3

Well, I got a text from the frontman trying to establish if I was going to do the gig or not (give me strength..)? If he was in any doubt before he isn’t now. I also let rip with the most dignity I could muster about how I saw the situation, how poorly they handled it, how as a long-standing and 100% commited band member I deserved better etc etc etc.

I then got a reply saying he was sorry how things had panned out, that I was a great guy blah blah blah. Later that night they put a status on their Facebook profile, a few pictures of me and a few ‘nice’ words. I’d like to think that it’s sincere but I’m still livid and see only a load of bullsh*t. In the same status they announced their intention to continue as a two piece, which  I find ludicrous, but never mind.

Within an hour of their status going live I got a message from the BL of another established local band asking if I was interested in being a part of a new band he’s putting together? One door shuts and another opens. I’m not entirely sure I want to do it yet, (I’m not even sure I even want to keep playing bass at this moment in time) but he said to think about it over Christmas and New Year, so let’s see. In the meantime I’m going to concentrate on my solo stuff, which I’ve neglected for the last four or so years.

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 23

3 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Within an hour of their status going live I got a message from the BL of another established local band asking if I was interested in being a part of a new band he’s putting together? One door shuts and another opens. I’m not entirely sure I want to do it yet, (I’m not even sure I even want to keep playing bass at this moment in time) but he said to think about it over Christmas and New Year, so let’s see. In the meantime I’m going to concentrate on my solo stuff, which I’ve neglected for the last four or so years.

I understand your general mood, given your recent sour experiences, but I truly think this is a moral victory of the highest order. It is also a flat-out victory if you have prospects like this, which are surely better than anything involving your erstwhile bandmates. It's pretty clear who enjoys the local musicians' respect. Everything about this is working out in your favour, as things turn out, even if you do legitimately feel mistreated.

It's a nice Christmas present that you have earned. I'm glad to see it. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

The sweetest thing to do would be to play the gig, but just push the timing out whenever and wherever you can so the drummer (who sounds like he plays to himself and assumes you will follow) ends up sounding looser than an elephant on sennakot.

And for each song that ends on a big thump, play your 'twaaaang' half a beat early so it looks like he's lost...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The sweetest thing to do would be to play the gig, but just push the timing out whenever and wherever you can so the drummer (who sounds like he plays to himself and assumes you will follow) ends up sounding looser than an elephant on sennakot.

And for each song that ends on a big thump, play your 'twaaaang' half a beat early so it looks like he's lost...

That's sort of how I play anyway....

• Haha 5

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Drax said:

@BrunoBass Curious how this ended. Did you play the gig? 

No I didn’t, and they did it as a duo. I didn’t go myself, but people I know who did said if was very strange. There was no attempt to replicate any bass parts, nor to fill out or adapt the arrangements. Playing for instance a Muse song, which is very bass driven, without bass. It looks like they’re continuing as a duo. Good luck to them. I had a look at their social media accounts the other day to see if they have any gigs lined up, and noticed that they’d removed every photo with me in it, every post that mentions me, basically deleted any record that I was ever in the band. They’ve deleted any trace of our former rhythm guitarist who left amicably of his own volition a couple of years ago too. Very odd...

In other news though, I had my first rehearsal with a new band this week. It went well, I liked them, they liked me, and asked me to join. It’s very early days yet, and we’re a long way off gigging, but it’s good to be back on the bass again. Let’s see how it works out. Tell you what though, it’s great to play with a good drummer again! 

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 24

16 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

It looks like they’re continuing as a duo. Good luck to them. I had a look at their social media accounts the other day to see if they have any gigs lined up, and noticed that they’d removed every photo with me in it, every post that mentions me, basically deleted any record that I was ever in the band.

Given the path they have chosen, you might yet be grateful that they decided to erase you after their Great Purge.

Best of luck with the new outfit. A good drummer? That about 50% of your problems sorted, then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/01/2020 at 13:54, BrunoBass said:

In other news though, I had my first rehearsal with a new band this week. It went well, I liked them, they liked me, and asked me to join. It’s very early days yet, and we’re a long way off gigging, but it’s good to be back on the bass again. Let’s see how it works out. Tell you what though, it’s great to play with a good drummer again! 

This is great to hear

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

What I don't understand is, if their next gig isn't until January and you are not socially friendly anyway, why did they sack you now? Why not wait until after the January gig? Now they have the risk of you not playing and they will miss out on the gig too.