Why become a member? ×

Single again...

BrunoBass

Okay, I get that they're humorous but I'd not be doing any of the things such as cancelling the day before, or messing up the gig, etc. I'd simply say my short farewell "good luck in the future", hand over the admin of the social media (WITHOUT vandalism of it...) and look forwards from that point on. No moral requirement to do the gig, no band should have a "make or break" gig, they can cancel it and carry on or whatever else the others want to do at the point they have no bassist.

Put simply: in issues such as these, take the moral high ground. From the original post and the way they've treated you, this is a very simple/achievable thing. 

Good karma, and all that.

• Like 7

Hello, OP here. 

Yes, we’re just a pub band, nothing special but with enough integrity for me to always want to do the best I can - for me, my band mates and the punters. That integrity extends to being as dignified as possible over this whole sorry matter. Inside I want to vandalise the social media accounts and call them all sorts of words that the Basschat swear filter would censor. But as a grown up man who likes to think he knows how to conduct himself I’m keeping my feelings to myself, publicly at least.

The local scene is small and cliquey enough that I don’t want to look like I’m wingeing. I put something on my Facebook status and I’m surprised, touched even, by the responses from friends, mates in other bands and people who come to see us regularly. Also, I know how few bass players there are locally, I may well have the last laugh yet. 

All there is to do now is move on and enjoy a bit of a break until the next thing comes along. Happy Christmas 🙂

• Like 13

3 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

That integrity extends to being as dignified as possible over this whole sorry matter. Inside I want to vandalise the social media accounts and call them all sorts of words that the Basschat swear filter would censor. But as a grown up man who likes to think he knows how to conduct himself I’m keeping my feelings to myself, publicly at least.

The local scene is small and cliquey enough that I don’t want to look like I’m wingeing. I put something on my Facebook status and I’m surprised, touched even, by the responses from friends, mates in other bands and people who come to see us regularly.

Yup, i get the being an adult about it and all that.  But i personally wouldnt do the gig. Forget all the silly revenge stuff i and others posted, but surely dont do the gig ?

When the " cliquey " mob ask your band  " where's Bruno ? "   are they going to tell the truth and say they kicked you but you wouldnt do the gig ?   Who will side with your band against you ? No one.  Ballocks to 'em

They made their bed. Now let the bar stewards lie in it

The meek shalleth not inheriteth the earth. The meek shalleth inheriteth a kicketh in the nuts  :)

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, fleabag said:

Yup, i get the being an adult about it and all that.  But i personally wouldnt do the gig. Forget all the silly revenge stuff i and others posted, but surely dont do the gig ?

When the " cliquey " mob ask your band  " where's Bruno ? "   are they going to tell the truth and say they kicked you but you wouldnt do the gig ?   Who will side with your band against you ? No one.  Ballocks to 'em

The meek shalleth not inheriteth the earth. The meek shalleth inheriteth a kicketh in the nuts  :)

Spot on. I reckon the Oxfordshire Bass Collective is united on this approach (well, at least two of us are!).

I don't think I know any musicians around Banbury despite living half an hour or so away near Witney. I've played a few gigs there but can't even remember the names of the places I've played, which is strange.

• Like 1

Mate - as said before, be the better man and forget the revenge stuff. But by asking you to do the gig they're taking the pee. Take the misses out for a nice meal or do something else you really enjoy instead. And if anyone asks why you didn't do the gig, just tell em you were sacked. No one will think any worse of you. Move on bruv x

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Spot on. I reckon the Oxfordshire Bass Collective is united on this approach (well, at least two of us are!).

I don't think I know any musicians around Banbury despite living half an hour or so away near Witney. I've played a few gigs there but can't even remember the names of the places I've played, which is strange.

I played Banbury somewhere in a previous band but i cannot remember the pub.  The name ' The Dolphin ' springs to mind, but that could be wrong

Be the better man?

So that the band get what they want and continue to think the way they treated the OP is ok?

My 2 cents: do the pros of wanting to do a great gig, outweigh the cons of doing a gig with people who have treated you as they have? If you choose to to the gig, as someone said earlier, I'd asked for half the fee.

FWIW I would not do the gig. Though had the split been amicable I would have.

Edited by MacDaddy
  • Like 4

On 14/12/2019 at 08:47, Paul S said:

Personally I can't believe the cheek of them.  They have sacked you but want you to play the next gig?  Really?  My pride would not allow me anywhere near it. 

Then again, tbf, my pride has got me in trouble before now :) 

Sorry to be late to this thread - I've only just caught it now. Even more sorry to hear of your woes.
If they hadn't done this now... I'm sure they'd have done it at some future point. At least this way around - you get to decide whether to play that last gig or not,
and whether to play a blinder, or to "sabotage" the gig. The choice is yours.

I agree with Paul S, and others though - it's a downright cheek of them to sack you, whilst asking a favour :o
I would be tempted not to play it... but that's just me. Or at least, I'd offer to "Dep" for them - then charge them half the fee, and insist on getting paid upfront, before you play
If they don't pay up, walk away

You could do the gig and near the end of the set announce that this will be your last gig as the band decided to sack you 2 weeks ago but you didn't want to disappoint people that had bought tickets.

Makes you look good and them look like the bunch of T****rs they are.

Dave

• Like 3

11 hours ago, fleabag said:

Oh I’m not doing the gig, decided. They can stick it up their collective a***s. I’m just keeping from slagging them off everywhere, as much as I’d like to. It wouldn’t reflect well on me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

Oh I’m not doing the gig, decided. They can stick it up their collective a***s. I’m just keeping from slagging them off everywhere, as much as I’d like to. It wouldn’t reflect well on me.

True, but remember - this is not just a bass place, it's a SAFE bass place.  You can say what you like on here! 

Edited by PJ-Bassist

Where do you want to spend your energy? Getting bitter and twisted? Planning 'revenge' sillyness? Badmouthing them? Playing it over and over in your head?

Or you could accept that phase is in the past and don't waste any more time, energy and emotion on it. Instead, look forward and upwards and start working on getting your next gig.

I've been fired from more than one paying job, and that's what you have to do. Forget the past, the injustice etc. Get yer erse in gear and start on the next phase. Because that's what you really need to do.

This time with a drummer that can keep time...

Cheers!

Graham

Edited by Graham56
  • Like 3

for the gig, the way I see it is - what does playing it do for you personally?

I can see what it does for the band, but they are no longer your responsibility - if the gig is a roaring success and they triple their future bookings from it, you don't get any share of that success, so the favour here is all one way - you helping out the people who just sacked you.  You don't really owe them that favour

Letting down the punters?  That's the band's responsibility, not yours. 

There are reasons for playing the gig if you want to, whether pride, wanting to go out at a headlining gig, or showcasing your skills in front of other bands.  But if you don;t want to, don;t feel at all bad in turning them down

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Hello, OP here. 

The local scene is small and cliquey enough that I don’t want to look like I’m wingeing. I put something on my Facebook status and I’m surprised, touched even, by the responses from friends, mates in other bands and people who come to see us regularly. Also, I know how few bass players there are locally, I may well have the last laugh yet

All there is to do now is move on and enjoy a bit of a break until the next thing comes along. Happy Christmas 🙂

Well I ain’t doing it 😂😂😂😂

for the sacking...I also remember the trail about the drummer being an @rse and driving off after the gig a few weeks ago

You sack people for one (or both) of two reasons - either their playing isn't up to scratch, or their personality isn't up to scratch.  Both highly subjective, and them taking against you on one or the other doesn't necessarily mean that they are right.

I've sacked somebody who didn't see it coming, and I'd be amazed if the rest of the band weren't in agreement.  It's no fun telling somebody that they are not wanted, and if the drummer was happy to lead then they probably just let him get on with it, so I wouldn't read too much into their relative silence.  Seems to me that the clash with the drummer is the root of it all, and they picked a side, regardless of whether they think he's a better or worse musician.  The "grown apart of friends" is utter nonsense, but it does indicate to me that they consider the drummer to be a mate and that probably has a lot to do with which side they took.

Nothing you can do now, so onward and upwards.  Have Christmas off, and start looking for a new band in the New Year 

• Like 3