Why become a member? ×

Try again

Steve Browning

Right now I doubt anyone, including those who work in Customs, knows. Hopefully over the course of the next 12 months we might get a better idea.

Personally, unless you have an official customs form that states otherwise, I would list every single item individually and specifically. That way there is no room for error or misinterpretation.

2 minutes ago, prowla said:

What’s a carnet?

It's like a passport for your gear when you go touring. It allows you to import and re-export your gear without paying taxes.

It is imperative that everything you take out of the country is everything you bring back in. If you lose something or acquire something expect hold ups and taxes.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Twigman said:

We use carnets to US sometimes where I work.

Serial numbers are de rigeur. We declare EVERYTHING.

I’ve done that on all the overseas gigs we’ve done for the last couple of years, and advised the others in the band to do the same, purely to get used to it for if/when it becomes a requirement.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve done that on all the overseas gigs we’ve done for the last couple of years, and advised the others in the band to do the same, purely to get used to it for if/when it becomes a requirement.

Why would you if customs aren't inspecting??

What a waste of time and money

I don’t think we need worry until 2020. I believe from what people have told me, that you have to include everything you’re taking. If you have merchandise, then you’ll need to make a declaration, VAT is payable up front. You’ll probably also need a work permit.

None of this is necessary at the moment though. Customs won’t know either.

I started a thread on this a while ago in the off topic section. It wasn’t closed which is good, you need to know these things if you play abroad.

Edited by ambient

Whoa there! Back the truck UP! 

A CARNET???? Are we not allowed to use a garage anymore?

I must have missed that particular episode of John Cravens Newsround!

How is a net going to keep your car safe? surely the bad guys will just cut the string and be off with your trusty VW Golf?

Holy cow, the world has gone mad!