Why become a member? ×

Protest songs that still hold up years later

darkandrew

I was listening to Simple Minds Live in the City of Light a few days ago and on it is a medley featuring Simple Minds' "Love Song" and a cover of "Sun City". As I was listening to it, it struck me that many (if not most) protest songs are very much rooted to a particular moment in time and lose their relevance outside of that moment. So, I was thinking, are there any protest songs that still hold up outside if their particular moment? Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" and Peter Gabriel's "Biko" came to mind but other than these two, I couldn't really think of any others - can you?

Rage against the Machine's generic but effective 'flip you I won't do what you tell me' ?

edit: great bit of sensorship. I suppose no protest shall survive our looming sense of common decency.

Edited by Bolo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ambient said:

Steve Lawson asked this on Facebook a few days ago. This was my suggestion.

Funny this should come up now as i was thinking the revolution will be live streamed the other day. Except in this country where we just roll over and take it by the looks of things. 

• Like 2