Why become a member? ×

NBD - Stingray

Lozz196

So looking to be GAS free for 2020, I decided to buy myself a new bass this week. Since I’m going to not be in a band soon, and for quite a while I think, I want to expand my range of playing and styles, and also not be solely a Precision player. So I’d been looking out for a Stingray in my favoured black/black/maple and fortunately our very own @tom1946 put one up, so did the deal, and it arrived today. Plays like a dream, am very happy with it though I can see already it’s going to make me play differently, which was the point really, less hamfisted hammering away, a bit more relaxed playing with more dynamics. Oh, the beauty in question, well as below.

5B9DC12D-D282-4E40-A6BC-7C4545C547EA.jpeg

• Like 19

Well done mate! I do love Stingrays, but the only time they've ever really worked for me is drop tuned with a pick through a distortion pedal. Doesn't stop me from wanting another though!

That's one bonus of being bandless - you can play whatever bass you like without having to worry if it suits the band or not. I reckon you'll  be after a fretless next...

Congrats Lozz, great basses.

I have had 3 now, move them on but always lust for them again.Hopefully now this last one I got is a keeper.

and you're right different basses inspire you to play different. Lets see how long you can keep the thumb and pop under wraps lol :)

Congratulations @Lozz196 I hope you're enjoying that beauty.

A good tip for the EQ on the 3 band is to cut the mid quite a bit, and boost the bass and treble a bit - gets close to the 2 band sound. Then use the Mid as a tone control - it cuts through more/ becomes more prominent as you increase the mid. 

Best of luck anyway. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well an update to the above, although I loved the Ernie Ball Super Slinkies that came on it I had a thought in the back of my mind to try Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. Chose the same gauge, 45 - 100 and have to say I’m really pleased with them. I’m getting the high end of rounds but without the added harmonic content that comes with rounds, plus they tame that sizzle you get on a ‘Ray. This bass is doing just what I wanted which is to tame my punk orientated style, I’m already noticing a, dare I say it, more measured sound (and this isn’t only to do with my new compressor.

Who’d have thought it, confirmed Precision/rounds player like me using a flats-strung Stingray with a compressor. This must be equivalent to man learning to stand on two feet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Well an update to the above, although I loved the Ernie Ball Super Slinkies that came on it I had a thought in the back of my mind to try Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. Chose the same gauge, 45 - 100 and have to say I’m really pleased with them. I’m getting the high end of rounds but without the added harmonic content that comes with rounds, plus they tame that sizzle you get on a ‘Ray. This bass is doing just what I wanted which is to tame my punk orientated style, I’m already noticing a, dare I say it, more measured sound (and this isn’t only to do with my new compressor.

Who’d have thought it, confirmed Precision/rounds player like me using a flats-strung Stingray with a compressor. This must be equivalent to man learning to stand on two feet.

Are you trying to get your Stingray to sound like a Precision :)

I have my ideal bass sound in my head (which is a Jazz with about 50% of the tone rolled off) and whatever bass I take to the gig, Precision, jazz or Stingray, I always end up with the sound of a Jazz with about 50% of the tone rolled off.

I really should just stick to Jazzes.

Not exactly but I can see where you’re coming from. I’m doing classic rock at the moment and with keys and humbucking guitar the Precision was a bit “bulky”, all getting a bit congested. So the tighter more focused sound of the ‘Ray sprung to mind but didn’t want that real toppy high end, plus one set of flats, last me for a good while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Not exactly but I can see where you’re coming from. I’m doing classic rock at the moment and with keys and humbucking guitar the Precision was a bit “bulky”, all getting a bit congested. So the tighter more focused sound of the ‘Ray sprung to mind but didn’t want that real toppy high end, plus one set of flats, last me for a good while.

I think we need to see a pic of you actually playing the bass, just to be sure it isn't actually a P Bass by mistake.