Why become a member? ×

What is the best head amp for Barefaced two ten?

Radchenko

Best head amp for Barefaced two ten  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Best option for Barefaced two ten

• Aguilar tone hammer 350
    • Eich t500
    • Gr bass one 350
    • Other options

I think as its a old school cab so some thing Tubey is probably best suited to it. Matches really will with Ashdown valve or hybrid heads (from experience). If you the a glassy clean hi-fi sound you get from class D SS heads it's probably not the best choice as there's no tweeter there. Gigged it with a AH500-7 Trace head with no 'problems' but I definitely wasn't getting that famously scooped Trace tone from it. 

Edited by Quilly

Honestly, I think any decent amp will sound good through a two10.

I have a pair of one10s and I've used a few amps with them.  None sounded bad!

Why not save a few quid and shed some weight and buy a Quilter BassBlock 800.  It does everything I need anyway and I use it with a single one10 in small pubs with excellent results.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead
spelling
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, machinehead said:

Honestly, I think any decent amp will sound goog through a two10.

I have a pair of one10s and I've used a few amps with them.  None sounded bad!

Why not save a few quid and shed some weight and buy a Quilter BassBlock 800.  It does everything I need anyway and I use it with a single one10 in small pubs with excellent results.

Frank.

I would agree.  I bought a Quilter BB800 when they came out and it has been fairly consistently my go-to after using big 'ol Trace Elliots.  Recently changed from BF Supercompact to a Two10 - only had it for a short while but I'd say my tone has never been better.  For what I am looking for etc.  I had the One10 for home practice/smaller gigs and liked the 'colour' with both the Quilter (and also like the sound of it paired with a Tecamp Puma).  The Two10 sounds similar but bigger.

On 11/12/2019 at 14:50, scrumpymike said:

I think Linus27 makes a good point.  Haven't used any of the specific heads listed in the survey.  My 'other options' vote is for the Mesa Subway 800+ based on my experience of gigging two Two10S cabs with that head in a classic rock covers band.  If I'm using the Mesa with a single Two10S I just switch the impedance to 12ohms.

Mesa D800+ with a pair of Two10 here, playing mostly funk/ska/reggae but also Rage Against The Machine, RHCP and more... It's just mighty. Great combination.

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

Mesa D800+ with a pair of Two10 here, playing mostly funk/ska/reggae but also Rage Against The Machine, RHCP and more... It's just mighty. Great combination.

This is what I'm currently gigging, 800+ is switchable down to 2ohms btw.  You would have to be careful running it through a single 4ohm Two 10 though.

18 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

This is what I'm currently gigging, 800+ is switchable down to 2ohms btw.  You would have to be careful running it through a single 4ohm Two 10 though.

As always, being sensible is desirable.

I tend to leave my switch at the 2 ohm position. That automatically limits the power somewhat when using a 4 or 8 ohm cab, which may help. I only do it because of simplicity and that I like how it sounds. I use one cab alone frequently, for rehearsals. 

On 11/12/2019 at 14:09, Radchenko said:

Hello,

Aguilar th350, Eich t300, gr bass one 350, Acoustic image....there are so many options...

What is your opinion?. Thank you.

After reading these replies, I think you should change your question to,  'What sounds bad through a barefaced two ten?' .

It'll save you a lot of time.

• Haha 3