Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Flatwounds

CameronJ

Anyone tried them? I’ve bought their nickel roundwounds and liked them a lot, but wondering if anyone has experience with the flats.

Very reasonably priced at €35 for a 5 string set of flats - significantly cheaper than the equivalent TIs, LaBellas and Ernie Ball Cobalts!

xD

Just to add, I've had them on one P-bass for 10 months or so now and am still happy - interestingly, unplugged they are still very loud and positive-sounding, they haven't gone nearly as hollow, thonky and quiet as a set of Labella FL760L's, which are admittedly a bit older. They are slightly on the firm-tensioned side for me but no worries as in this case 32" takes the edge off. Quality seems fine. 

UPDATE FOR POSTERITY SEPTEMBER 2021...

I fell out of love with the Maruszczyk flats not too long after this ^ post. I lost confidence in the bass they were on and nearly decided to sell it but as a last resort went back to my favoured (and doubly expensive) LaBellas, and they transformed it - better feel, a lovely groovy bounce, a softer touch, far more even tension across the fingerboard and, dare I say it, more richness and  "musicality". They're still on and I play it every day.

So after a year or so of use I feel moved to downgrade these strings, for me, from "really good" to "reasonable I s'pose if you're strapped for £20". 

Edited by KK Jale
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 31/12/2020 at 15:10, Zef said:

Just stringed up my Fender 60 CS Precision with flats. Thomastics 100 too loose, esp on the E-string, La Bella 104's way too tight, Maruszczyk flats (105 I guess) just perfect.

I often find the G string too tight, what is it like on these??