Why become a member? ×

switching between different basses - is it bad?

julietgreen

Today I played on the upright bass for a bit - early days on this for me - just plonking through some of the chord notes and trying to maintain the 'correct' technique. Just now, I'm probably going to do a bit of fretless for jazz practice and then tonight go to rehearsal with my standard fretted 4-string because I'm not confident enough to use the fretless. Do you think switching like this is OK or is it going to give me brain damage/ruin all technique?

I double-up in one of my bands - switching between playing bass guitar and upright. Not for each & every gig, but from time to time.
There are occasions when I haven't done this for a while (depending on which band I'm playing with and other factors) and when I double up again, I really enjoy it! :)

Keep at playing the upright, and keep switching between the two - even if you only play your upright a little... just keep your hand in.
You will get used to switching, as long as you keep practicing on both. It just takes a bit of time. I must admit, I don't play my upright half as much as I'd like
But that's just due to other issues, like work, family life, much needed DIY around the house etc etc. and for the most part, other bands don't really "need" me to play upright

I also like to switch between playing different bass guitars - just so I'm used to playing basses with different string spacing and differing diameter and radii of neck
Plus of course, this helps me justify owning way too many! ;) Many years back, I could only afford to own one bass, and whenever I picked up a differing model, I struggled a bit, trying to get used to different necks, different spacing, different action heights, string gauges, controls etc etc

I'd say it's definitely good for you, as a player, to be able to switch.
But most of all - best of luck with your new venture into the world of upright - you won't look back
I would recommend taking both along to a rehearsal one day. Make it a rehearsal that isn't too "pressured" - i.e. one which isn't a vital one just before a gig
Start off by playing your usual BG, and then switch to upright, informing your band that you quiet fancy having a "dabble" at upright for a few songs :)

• Like 1

I play in a few different bands and use different basses for different projects. If I practice then it's no issue (& ditto the above re switching between upright and bass guitar in one band) but if I haven't practiced, I'll pay for it! I do find it harder if I throw a short scale bass into the mix but generally across Fender, Gibson, long scaled Hofner and Rickenbacker, it's no issue.

• Like 1

I'm not upright, but I do alternate between fretless 4 and fretted 6.  The number of strings used to but no longer bugs me.  Where I struggle is with playing frets after a spell on the FL; they seem SOOO clunky and restrictive after the fluent gliding up and down of fretless.  If I was told I could have any budget but only one bass, I think I'd settle on a 5 or six string fretless. Like this Fodera currently on sale in the Bass Gallery:

1_354079cd-d9fd-4e8d-aaf8-e2e8d4b83b57_1600x.jpg

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2

I don't think switching should be a problem. I switch between upright and fretless mainly, but also dig out a fretted bass now & again without any issue (apart from struggling to pluck clunky old dead round wounds). If anything, I guess it keeps the hands and fingers moving in different ways, as well as the brain, which I think is a good thing. 

• Like 1

IF (and this is one pretty big IF) you are after an extremely well educated muscle memory, the fretted and fretless should be in the same place regarding to your body. This is easy to achieve by having two similar basses from the same manufacturer. It may be so that the issue is meaningful to top players only, but just one thing to consider.

• Like 2

I switch between basses (fretted and fretless) and double bass. I used to worry that because each was different that I had to concentrate on those differences. A revelation for me was to let the muscle memory develop and , if your technique is basically OK, you will not notice and eventually it will appear seamless. Enjoy practicing and changing....it's a whole new world.

• Like 1

I can swap between my most of my basses without really noticing

The one that trips me up is my Washburn Status, and then only if I try to slap. For reasons I've never understood the string tension is much higher than on my other basses and it really throws me out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I can't see how mastering different types of instrument, or different flavours of the same instrument, is anything but awesome.

+1

I find even fairly small differences in feel and tone make me play differently and inspire me to play in different ways.

• Like 2