Why become a member? ×

5 string or 4 string...

carlsim

Posted this on another thread but didn't get much response so am trying here...

I have always been a 5'er kinda guy... can easily adapt to a 4 and have done many a time but every bass I remember owning (apart from my first 57 reissue precision) has been a 5 string.

I have a Sei Jazz 5 which I love to play and I currently have cash burning a hole in my pocket after a recent sale. Nothing on the classified grabs my attention.

I have always loved a Stingray... I have lost count how many SR5s I have had over the years and every time I sell one, I get another a bit later because I miss 'that' sound. when it has been a while, you plug one in and say... "that's why I have a Stingray!" My current gig type doesn't really require that sound, however, I still want one. 

Basically I know of a 4 string Old Smoothie for sale with someone I know and as the Old Smoothie is less zingy than the modern Stingray, I am seriously considering one although I wonder if I will miss that low B. I do use it, but I reckon I can do without it. Or could I?

Anyone been in a similar predicament? I'm so torn... the Old Smoothie looks and sounds great, it's a playability thing for me. Will I lose that adaptability I have with a 5? I know some people will say it's personal preference, just wanted some opinions before a pull the plug - or don't!

Not playing anything other than 4 strings I couldn’t comment from personal experience but the mention of “I do use it - the low B - but reckon I could do without” makes me think that it has to be worth a go. And it’s a nice instrument to have to play at home even if not in a band setting. And you’ll always be able to move it on if you find you can’t get on with it.

I find 4 strings so restricting, and often think how much more Jaco could have achieved had he had a 5 or 6 string.  Unfort my current craze for unlined fretless has kinda ruled out multistrings because they're hard to find, especially cheap.  But I still keep my trusty old Hohner 6 B Bass to hand.   

Edited by lownote12

Well, if you don't need the low B you could always string a five string E-C. However if you end up liking that tuning and decide that you need the low B after all, then you will end up 'needing' a six string. 

Seriously, buying a lovely four string is not something that you are ever going to regret. If you have the funds and want the bass then buy it. If you decide you don't get on with it then there is always a market for a four string Stingray, particularly the Old Smoothie version. 

18 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Every so often I see some really nice 4, and I eventually get one as 'I am sure I will play it'. I do for a while, but then ultimately I don't gig it, which means I end up not playing it, and then eventually I get rid of it.

That is my concern exactly...

It depends, you really can do a lot with a 4 and drop D tuning.

After years of 5 and 6 string I find myself back on 4 80% of the time. How much of what you do musically really needs a B string?

Only you can answer that.

But even then, people are fickle so you may or may not end up selling on .... you sold several SR5s, so another SR5 will most likely also be sold. Perhaps a Smoothie is different enough to not undergo that “fate”. 

I do not want to get into the X amount of strings is better, but a good bassist can make magic happen on any amount of strings. In my book the number of strings is therefore less important than pretty much everything else,

4 hours ago, HazBeen said:

... a good bassist can make magic happen on any amount of strings. 

Completely agree!

4 hours ago, HazBeen said:

In my book the number of strings is therefore less important than pretty much everything else

But for once, Harry, I completely disagree! There are many things less important to me, as a bass player, than whether I play a 5 or a 4 string. 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

After years of 5 and 6 string I find myself back on 4 80% of the time. How much of what you do musically really needs a B string?

I am the opposite, Although I drift along to 4 strings occasionally I always find myself back on a 5. As you say, it is not really an issue, how many people use all the strings of the bass for every song?

So I play a 4 for a while and then I find myself having to travel up and down the neck a lot and wish I had the 5th string. So ultimately, that is where I end up.

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I do not want to get into the X amount of strings is better, but a good bassist can make magic happen on any amount of strings. In my book the number of strings is therefore less important than pretty much everything else,

Not for me because a good bassist can make magic happen on any combination of anything, it really doesn't matter what colour a bass is, weight is flexible, basically any electronics can work. For me, number of strings and spacing (and size of the neck) are the only things that really should matter, I mean even a sunburst bass with a tort pick guard is technically useable.

But sadly I am shallow, so that also does really matter to me! 

• Like 1

For me now at this point in my playing (two decades 😬) I always go for the easy option. I don't have to think too much playing a five string but four strings pickle my melon so it's fives for me.

That said I do have a four string Ray & I do still enjoy playing it, just not live.

Different strokes!

11 hours ago, HazBeen said:

How many of us make full use of the G string? Not me for one. I even experimented with BEAD tuning but it sounded too muddy. 

This is an oft repeated mantra but a five string is more than just the extra notes. It gives you more options for the notes of a four string by playing in different positions on the neck. An 8th fret B string G has a completely different timbre to a 3rd fret E string G. Same note - different sound. Both have their places and it’s useful to have the option, much like playing over the bridge or neck pickup. I almost always play higher on the B string than lower on the E. I just prefer the depth to the notes.

...a fiver (or six)  is for life not just for Christmas. 🎸 🎄 🎅 

8 hours ago, Horizontalste said:

That said I do have a four string Ray & I do still enjoy playing it, just not live.

Thats a thing for me -I recently bought a fender aerodyne as I always loved that finish. It hangs in my music room and I pick it up to play and I also played it live once, for half a set, but ultimately I know I will never gig it regularly, so it is just home thing, so somehow lesser.

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

But for once, Harry, I completely disagree! There are many things less important to me, as a bass player, than whether I play a 5 or a 4 string.

I do specifically state "In my book", but actually I meant it only in relation to other things on the bass (i.e. how does it sound, how does it play, neck feel, preamp/passive etc etc.)

As i suspected, a range of comments with me none the wiser! I have a gig tomorrow night and am borrowing a 4 string sterling stingray (the cheaper copies) to see how I feel. I know I can adapt to a 4 string with no issues, my biggest worry is will I miss the low B... will report back.

5 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I do specifically state "In my book", but actually I meant it only in relation to other things on the bass (i.e. how does it sound, how does it play, neck feel, preamp/passive etc etc.)

So for me:

Zero fret

Lightweight tuners

Neck-through or bolt-on

3 band vs 2 band EQ 

Pickguard or not

Woods used for body or neck / fretboard 

Spline jointed or single piece body

String through 

Single cut

Graphite neck

would all be less important than whether 4 or 5 string. 

Edited by Al Krow

I choose basses by how shiny they are, I always have done.

I regularly switch between my Precision and my Jazz. Both have 4 strings, both have d-tuners, both are passive, both have exactly the same gauge of Chromes and both are set up exactly the same in terms of neck relief, action etc but they both sound, feel and play completely different to each other.

I play whatever I fancy at the time and have over the years switched between 4, 5 (low B & High C), 6, 8 & 12. fretted, fretless, acoustic and semi-acoustic.

It depends on what you want to achieve and if you can do it with what you have. I don't need a low B so I don't have one

On 10/12/2019 at 13:17, carlsim said:

Anyone been in a similar predicament? . . . . . . . . . .

No.

When I bought my first 5 I tried switching back and forth, but it was more confusing that it was worth so I put the 4 in the case (it's still there) and focussed on getting the 5 right.

My 5 string basses can do it all. They are easier to play, sound better and are more flexible than my 4, so after getting up to speed I realised there was no point in getting the 4 out again. So I haven't.

YMMV

Edited by chris_b

2 minutes ago, geoffbyrne said:

For me, it's my technique.  Although I had a couple of 4s when I started, I've almost always played a 5.  Now, when I play a 4, I find I'm zooming up & down the neck like I was pumping up bicycle tyres.  I play across 5 strings and am most comfy doing that.

G.

But what if the bass you absolutely wanted was only available as a 4???

I’ve always played a 4 , but I bought my first 5er earlier this year, it took me a while to  get used to the extra string , but when I did I totally understood why people play 5s , it’s so much less effort going across the fretboard as opposed to up and down, but the thing is, I Like playing  up and down the neck.      I enjoy having both 🙂

If you really like it, go for it ☝️

• Thanks 1