Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass V Ultra demo

Alberto Rigoni

One can only assume that Fenders next offering will be the "Ultimate" series although, they would at that point,  have shot themselves in the foot somewhat but I suppose, there's always a chance of the "F#####g hell, look at this" series to follow that😆

• Haha 6

13 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

I have an Elite 5 Jazz and its great. The only thing I don't like about the new Ultra is the colour schemes. Also the neck is too amber for me. But they sound great.

Yeah I much prefer the lighter coloured natural Elite V.

Ive had half an eye out for one for a while...

I have heard that there is an issue with the five strings in that the string spacing on the bridge is wider than that of the fingerboard, meaning that the g string is in danger of falling off the board. Basically the bridge was built for 19mm spacing and the neck is designed for 18.5 mm spacing. 

I was wondering if anybody with experience of trying one out could confirm this? It seems like a ridiculous idea, as surely Fender would have thought of this when doing the R&D on their most expensive non custom shop five string bass. I can’t really tell from the demo but it seems to sound nice anyway.

Edited by thodrik

I have an Elite Precision. They replaced the deluxe and were only out for 2 or 3 years before this Ultra came along.

The only difference I can see is the Elite has a wheel at the body end to adjust the truss rod, which is pretty useful.

I have to admit the Elite was a rotten name, possibly designed to appeal to dentists and car salesmen?

I have the Elite V jazz and tbh, it doesn't really seem that much different to this Ultra, or the previous Deluxe. They're all running 18v preamps, all have noiseless pickups and active/passive modes. Don't get me wrong, I  love the bass, but it's mainly down to the colour and the great hard case😆

• Like 1