Why become a member? ×

Made the trade.... no more Jazz for me!

AngelDeVille

I gave Jazz bases a fair shake but they just aren’t for me.

The latest was a 2019 MIM Geddy Lee... I put it up locally, and got a trade offer for a 2002 MIJ Sting Precision.

The frets could have been charged with murder if I had played it like it was!  They were the worst I have ever seen!

But after changing the funky strings, cleaning the funk, and sanding the fret ends, she’s  quite the looker and in almost flawless shape.

I put roundwounds on her just because I didn’t want to commit a set of flatwounds to the string through body until I’m positive she’s a keeper.  

I’m thinking I’d like a black pickguard if I change anything, or maybe even a tooled leather one.  I have a bridge cover in my eBay cart as well..

B4768C7D-82BB-4D6B-9876-BFF0084E1C5D.jpeg

EF68665F-574A-4605-BBFA-7D6D9D63F814.jpeg

Edited by AngelDeVille
  • Like 1

I had thought about removing the scratch plate, but there are some front routes for the truss rod and electronics that stick out too much to look good.

I definitely think it needs a darker one. And I want to add a thumbrest.

Maybe I'll make my own.

I read about intonation complaints with the two barrel bridge, but it seems to intonate just fine for me.

3 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

I read about intonation complaints with the two barrel bridge, but it seems to intonate just fine for me.

It depends on whether you use your ears or an accurate tuner to set intonation. Unless you're playing a lot above the 12th fret it probably isn't that critical and "good enough for rock and roll."

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

It depends on whether you use your ears or an accurate tuner to set intonation. Unless you're playing a lot above the 12th fret it probably isn't that critical and "good enough for rock and roll."

That, and if my guitar is properly intonated, I am then expected to sing in tune.

17 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

I had thought about removing the scratch plate, but there are some front routes for the truss rod and electronics that stick out too much to look good.

I definitely think it needs a darker one. And I want to add a thumbrest.

Maybe I'll make my own.

I had a Sting bass and removed the plate. I then used a thumb rest to cover the wiring route, by attaching it to a piece of wood, which I filed down and it slotted into the gap.

Although, not in the correct place it still looked quite good

POLICE  SQUAD IN MAIDSTONE 019.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good, @police squad you are even rockin the Sting haircut!

I'm really liking this bass, it’s my only string through so I was hesitant to commit to flatwounds I can’t use on another bass.

I just ordered the extra slinky Ernie ball’s.

it looks like my MIM Pbass is going up for sale....  I wish I could justify keeping her.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AngelDeVille said:

Looks good, @police squad you are even rockin the Sting haircut!

I'm really liking this bass, it’s my only string through so I was hesitant to commit to flatwounds I can’t use on another bass.

I just ordered the extra slinky Ernie ball’s.

it looks like my MIM Pbass is going up for sale....  I wish I could justify keeping her.

but it's the wrong outfit for that bass. It was a lovely sounding bass, it sort of purred. Only played mine with rounds though. Go for the thumb rest mod, they look great sans guard. Here's what I replaced it with

sting.jpg

• Thanks 1

I think its a mental thing but I cant stand roundwounds on a fretted bass, they are making my practice sessions unpleasant...

Flatwounds will be here Saturday.  I hope the Extra Slinky are close to as nice as the Pyramid Golds.

An online retailer had a 20% off coupon and I missed out on stocking up on Pyramids, they are normally $55 US on this side of the pond!  I don't know if you can get them cheaper on your side.