Why become a member? ×

Human Base Jonas 6-string fretless TRADED
£1699
Germany

HumblePie

Wonderful bass, handmade in Germany by Siggi Jäger/Human Base.

Birdseye Maple Body, Flamed Maple 5-piece Neck-Through construction, Ebony Fretboard, Bartolini Pickups, great tone.

Steve Bailey Seymour Duncan 3-Band EQ, made especially for fretless basses.

" The STC-3PSB provides bass and treble controls, a midrange control, a master volume, a blend control, and our special frequency contour switch. This preamp was voiced by Steve Bailey to have three bands of focused EQ, together with a switch that engages a frequency contour optimized to bring out fretless harmonics as well as mid-range boost. The frequency contour is engaged by pulling up of the volume control. We even added two small trim pots on the circuit board can be tweaked to preset the frequency contour EQ just the way you want."

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/steve-bailey-active-preamp-passive-voiced-3band

The bass was converted to fretless by Human Base, the Bartolini EQ was switched out for the Seymour Duncan EQ.

The bass comes with two birdseye maple ramps, one goes between the pickups, one goes between the fretboard and the neck pickup, both are removable.

A standard Jonas 6 fretless is 3200€ new, the EQ was 180€. Pretty lightweight for a 6-string bass with a maple body at just 4,2kg.

I recorded some quick videos with my mobile phone, played through my rig (Aguilar Tonehammer 350, 2xSL112).

I am showcasing what I find to be the essential fretless sounds: Pickups panned a bit to the bridge, slight mid-boost. The second video has the "frequency contour EQ" enabled by pulling up the volume knob, the third video has the treble roll-off to make it sound more like an upright bass, I use this for Big Bands and Walking Bass lines).

Edited by HumblePie
  • Like 4

The bass comes with the originally supplied Human Base Gig bag. The switch ist for switching between active/passive mode. You can pull the volume switch to activate the Steve Bailey-preset for enhanced treble and upper mid frequencies. You also have a pan poti, bass and treble Control and, most importantly, a double stock poti that controls the mid boost or cut and lets you control the frequency range, which is very useful. I do not have the Bartolini pre, it was way less appealing than the Seymour Duncan pre.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...