Why become a member? ×

What Makes This Groove?

Mykesbass

Had this on  in the car and was really grabbed by the feel of this track. Can't work out what is making this such a tasty groove? Pretty sure it is mainly down to the drummer, but what is making it special? (of course you are welcome to disagree that it is)!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Linus27 said:

Generally, I'm going to have to disagree with you (sorry, you did say it was ok to) but I think in the verses, it's that funky rhythm guitar under the straight tambourine. The rest of the song seems a bit bland to me.

Don't apologise, that's why I asked. Will listen again paying attention to those to see if that's where it is coming from. Thanks.

13 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Had this on  in the car and was really grabbed by the feel of this track. Can't work out what is making this such a tasty groove? Pretty sure it is mainly down to the drummer, but what is making it special? (of course you are welcome to disagree that it is)!!

Love it, sounds great through headphones

I play drums in a pretty heavy band. On the last album there was a song with a riff, which was pretty good, but there wasn't anything really taking the lead in the mix. We put some nice lead guitar on it but it still didn't feel right. I suggested tambourine and the other guys laughed at me, until they heard it. Obviously it'd be out of place on stage at a metal show but on the album it really works

2 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I play drums in a pretty heavy band. On the last album there was a song with a riff, which was pretty good, but there wasn't anything really taking the lead in the mix. We put some nice lead guitar on it but it still didn't feel right. I suggested tambourine and the other guys laughed at me, until they heard it. Obviously it'd be out of place on stage at a metal show but on the album it really work

New genre, Motown Metal!!

But yes, thanks and @Linus27, for this. Makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

This music works because of syncopation. Get 3 good rhythms going and interlocking and there you have it.

Listen to Betty Wright's Clean Up Woman and Bobby Patterson's How Do You Spell Love. They get it exactly right.

I don't know why, but while I really should like the Dap KIngs, I never quite get there.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

This music works because of syncopation. Get 3 good rhythms going and interlocking and there you have it.

Listen to Betty Wright's Clean Up Woman and Bobby Patterson's How Do You Spell Love. They get it exactly right.

I don't know why, but while I really should like the Dap KIngs, I never quite get there.

I'd never heard Clean Up Woman before, awesome groove, thanks for that!

25 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I'd never heard Clean Up Woman before, awesome groove, thanks for that!

There's so much more. . . .

Ry Cooder  Good Thing

Betty Davis  Anti Love Song

As has been said, if the timing is only a little bit off the groove evaporates.

• Like 1

Ah, man!!!.. 

I didn't wanna reply to this topic but I was dragged in by the conflicting opinions and so, yes!!!..   

I listened to the track...  .... 

It's 70's Soul/Funk .....  :scratch_one-s_head:

Dang!!! 

I REALLY got suckered in thinking I was gonna hear something new but alas “Deja entendu"...

Don't get me wrong!! Funky AS!!! + Got the Groove!!!

Still, feels like I'm watching an episode of “The Deuce"...

but nuttin' wrong wit that, nuttin' wrong wit that!.. 

Best days of my life, pimping dem ho's out on 110th St... 

:santa3: “Ho, Ho, Ho!!.."

13 hours ago, chris_b said:

If you like Amy Whitehouse, you like The Dap Kings. They play on Back To Black.

14 hours ago, chris_b said:

"Clean Up Woman" is one of my favorites. Love the way the bass and guitar weave in and out of each other. Everything in the song works.

Blue

On 09/12/2019 at 20:00, gjones said:

The snare is just behind the beat. Which gives a laid back feel.

Some drummers I've played with have no idea how to play behind the beat. They obviously don't listen to soul or blues.

It's a difficult skill to master.

A drummer I sometimes play with tends to play ahead unintentionally, which makes things sound rushed.

I try to pull back a bit, but he notices it, what he does is slow down... and I just have to stop trying or we'd end up going really slow. He's been a drummer for decades, so I can't find a way to approach this. I am the new guy, relatively, so I just go with it.

It's difficult, but when you play with someone who gets the whole playing behind the beat etc, it makes me sound great, I love it ;)

5 hours ago, mcnach said:

A drummer I sometimes play with tends to play ahead unintentionally, which makes things sound rushed.

I try to pull back a bit, but he notices it, what he does is slow down... and I just have to stop trying or we'd end up going really slow. He's been a drummer for decades, so I can't find a way to approach this. I am the new guy, relatively, so I just go with it.

It's difficult, but when you play with someone who gets the whole playing behind the beat etc, it makes me sound great, I love it ;)

Playing in front of the beat sounds good if you want to put over a sense of urgency, like when playing a punk tune.

Or you can play waaaay behind the beat, as in this Muddy Waters Song.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1