Why become a member? ×

Hartke 3500 or Trace Elliot GP12 (combos)?

Friskydingo

I see a lot of these two amps on gumtree and eBay for varying prices (£250-350 usually). So they are popular, my questions are;

1. Are they good? Seem to have a lot of parameters and eq options

2. Loud enough for a rock covers band? 

I'm not too bothered by weight as I still have a good back and band mates to help me. Have you played either and which one do you prefer? Or should I carry on looking

Edited by Friskydingo
Misspelled

Both good amps. Have had units from both manufactures (to be fair just amp head versions of each though) and thought they each had great qualities. The Trace was loud, heavy, reliable, easily repaired and sounded good. The Hartke was loud, reliable and sounded great (to me warmer and more the tone I was looking for). In combo form I’m guessing you are probably looking at either 1x15 or 4x10 versions of both. I would prefer the Trace speakers over the Hartke ones, but ultimately would prefer to have a separate amp head and then choose what cab to pair with it. ( I know you said the weight thing wasn’t an issue but honestly you may not think that after regularly dragging one up a few flights of stairs.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Admittedly I’m a Trace fan boy and I have no experience of Hartke gear, but I’d highly recommend a 250/300 watt 1x15 Trace (an SM or SMX preferably). I’ve had a couple in the past and if I was in the market for a combo again I’d have another in a heartbeat.

More than loud enough and the 1x15 models are at least a little more manageable at 30kg tops (the 2x10 is nearer 40kg). Also they’re pretty narrow depth front to back so fit easily into saloon car boots, hatches with the rear seats up etc. Either way, stick some casters on it and you’re away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Friskydingo said:

I have band mates and my back isn't made of paper. I still may get a head and a 2x10 if I find a good deal

Neither was mine. Until it gave way. 3 years of searing pain and immobility really isnt worth it.

Still, people told me that advice when I was in my 20s and I took no notice either. And probably still wouldnt if I went back in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Neither was mine. Until it gave way. 3 years of searing pain and immobility really isn't worth it.

Still, people told me that advice when I was in my 20s and I took no notice either. And probably still wouldn't if I went back in time.

same with ear plugs, when you're young you feel indestructible 

• Like 1

Personally I'd go for a Trace head (150s are fine for most situations, anything bigger is ideal for starting nuclear wars) with a modern lightweight cabs.

I used to have a VDK MNT 112 which was monstrous with my 150 and my 300w....your friends will love you for it too.

Update! Just got a trace Elliott 1215 gp12 combo, loud enough and more. Great price, as seller just wanted it gone.

New question needs answering though; what does the pre-shape in/out utton do? The others I understand like harmonic emphasis, eq, drive, etc. But pre-shap seems to raise mid- frequencies. Can anyone provide insight?

That sounds like a later model to the ones I’m more familiar with but throughout the years and different ranges, the famous/infamous Trace pre-shape should cut the mids giving you a scooped sound, not boost them. Some models have 2 pre-shapes with pre-shape 1 being the mid cut and pre-shape 2 being a more solid, thumping your chest kind of rock tone.

Either way you really must post a photo of it, it’s the law around these parts 😁

Edit - doh, I obviously can’t type quickly enough. Like @PaulWarning says, could be disengaging.

Edited by Deedee