Why become a member? ×

Rics what is the policy?

steviedee

All this talk of Rics has got me curious.  I'd never been up close and personal with one until last week when I saw a band locally that I kind of knew.  Their bassist was using one and it sounded lush - he handed it over for me to inspect and, contrary to the boat anchor I was expecting, it seemed relatively lightweight.  I am sure the merits of the various different models have been discussed here somewhere - can anyone point me in the direction of such a thread?

11 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

You can indeed, but, as aforementioned, only if there's a risk of consumer confusion. It can't be done just for the sake of it.

Actual fakes, ie, items so closely resembling the original that they are intended to deceive the observer into believing they are the real McCoy, are a different matter entirely, and outside of the scope of my above treatise.

I think it's about protecting IP, not customer confusion...

RIC do have elements of their design registered as trademarks.

32 minutes ago, Paul S said:

All this talk of Rics has got me curious.  I'd never been up close and personal with one until last week when I saw a band locally that I kind of knew.  Their bassist was using one and it sounded lush - he handed it over for me to inspect and, contrary to the boat anchor I was expecting, it seemed relatively lightweight.  I am sure the merits of the various different models have been discussed here somewhere - can anyone point me in the direction of such a thread?

I usually take at least one to a BC Bass Bash.

@cetera had a go on mine at the last one and said he doesn't normally like Rics but liked mine (slight paraphrasing there...).

As for sound, they are quite versatile, but the neck pickup location adds a depth and authority of sound that you don't get on all of the Fender derivatives (except the Billy Sheehan Yammy).

As far as quality and finish goes, they are at least as good as any other mass-produced bass (better, IMHO).

I'm not sure if there are any in-depth threads on Rics.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I really don’t know where the boat anchor thing comes from. They vary, like most makes, but typically are between 8.5 and 9.5lbs. In practice, based on playing hundreds of them, they really do tend to be around 9lbs. Both mine are under. 

Another thing that people tend to do is play one and judge them all by that, for better or worse. Spec has changed pretty drastically over the years, often in increments. Vastly different necks,  different pot values, different pickups. Even the body and headstock shape has changed over the years. A ‘60s 4001 is a different bass to an early ‘70s one, which is different to a mid/late ‘70s one, etc etc. FWIW I could never get the Ric sound I was after until I played (and bought) my first ‘72; all the mid/late ‘70s ones I played just didn’t cut it. YMMV.  And of course in exactly the same way as every other make, individual instruments will be different, even from the same month/year. If you look at all the P Basses made over the years, or all the Js, everyone knows that the spec has varied and that even accounting for that, individual basses differ. It’s the same with Rics.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Go to the Rickenbacker Resource Forum. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I really don’t know where the boat anchor thing comes from. They vary, like most makes, but typically are between 8.5 and 9.5lbs. In practice, based on playing hundreds of them, they really do tend to be around 9lbs. Both mine are under. 

Another thing that people tend to do is play one and judge them all by that, for better or worse. Spec has changed pretty drastically over the years, often in increments. Vastly different necks,  different pot values, different pickups. Even the body and headstock shape has changed over the years. A ‘60s 4001 is a different bass to an early ‘70s one, which is different to a mid/late ‘70s one, etc etc. FWIW I could never get the Ric sound I was after until I played (and bought) my first ‘72; all the mid/late ‘70s ones I played just didn’t cut it. YMMV.  And of course in exactly the same way as every other make, individual instruments will be different, even from the same month/year. If you look at all the P Basses made over the years, or all the Js, everyone knows that the spec has varied and that even accounting for that, individual basses differ. It’s the same with Rics.

Well, I think my 78 has a deeper sound than my others, but recognisably Ric.

5s5izdV.jpg

Incidentally, I've only ever played one Ric bass which I didn't like - it had a really chunky neck, as opposed to the slim one on every other one I've played. However, that's personal preference - I was chatting with someone a short while back who said he didn't like Rics because the neck is too thin!

2 minutes ago, prowla said:

5s5izdV.jpg

Incidentally, I've only ever played one Ric bass which I didn't like - it had a really chunky neck, as opposed to the slim one on every other one I've played. However, that's personal preference - I was chatting with someone a short while back who said he didn't like Rics because the neck is too thin!

That kind of proves my point, because having played countless mid/late ‘70s Rics, I’d say they typically sound less deep. The 1 inch high gain compared to the 1/2 inch toaster makes a big difference IMO. 

There were several years where the 4003 had a big neck, kind of like a P Bass. Didn’t work for me either. And the neck of my ‘98 V63 was much bigger than that of my ‘91 or ‘96 CS (they got bigger sometime around ‘96-‘98 IIRC, as later CSs also had bigger necks), which is the main reason I got rid. Whereas the necks on mine are tiny compared to any P I’ve played, even the Nate Mendel. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, prowla said:

5s5izdV.jpg

This might come as a surprise to some, but I’ve played quite a few I’ve not been keen on, mainly from ‘75 through ‘80, and of course the 4003 basses with the big necks (although a friend actually had one of those that was really good; it sounded great). I bought a ‘73 once that was a complete dog too, although typically I quite like ‘73s, or at least those from early ‘73, which this was. My first (indeed my first bass) was a 1980 4001 (TC915, stolen in ‘86); to be honest, as much as I loved it, it being my first bass, it wasn’t all that good.

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I just had a quick look at the ric Resource Forum and it scared me - too much detail to plough through!  I'll start a new thread.  Wish me luck 😅

FWIW, you’ll get far more detailed information in terms of all the differences in spec on there, but I understand it’s probably a bit intimidating. I’ve been on there for years and I’m still learning. For me though, I have a certain era of preference (‘69-‘72 inclusive), so for the most part stick to that. 

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I just had a quick look at the ric Resource Forum and it scared me - too much detail to plough through!  I'll start a new thread.  Wish me luck 😅

Good luck also - it would be good to get sensible advice on these basses without endless trolling. The moderators should be able to support such a request also 😏👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prowla said:

5s5izdV.jpg

The black one (front middle) is the coolest looking bass IMHO. Reminds me of 15 year old me watching punk bands in 76 and drooling over a low slung Ric.

Bought a lined fretless sometime in the 80’s, but didn’t get on with it ergonomically and ended up with a P which I found more comfy, but not as sexy looking. 
Tried one at a Dorset bash a few years ago, hoping like *#@€ to get on with it, but sadly it was still a no. But by then I was firmly attached to P basses. 
Horses for courses n all that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

The black one (front middle) is the coolest looking bass IMHO. Reminds me of 15 year old me watching punk bands in 76 and drooling over a low slung Ric.

Bought a lined fretless sometime in the 80’s, but didn’t get on with it ergonomically and ended up with a P which I found more comfy, but not as sexy looking. 
Tried one at a Dorset bash a few years ago, hoping like *#@€ to get on with it, but sadly it was still a no. But by then I was firmly attached to P basses. 
Horses for courses n all that. 

I've a feeling I played that one at the last SE Bass Bash, it's a nice bass 👍

• Like 2