Why become a member? ×

5 string or 4 string...

carlsim

I have always been a 5'er kinda guy... can easily adapt to a 4 and have done many a time but every bass I remember owning (apart from my first 57 reissue precision) has been a 5 string.

I have a Sei Jazz 5 which I love to play and I currently have cash burning a hole in my pocket after a recent sale. Nothing on the classified grabs my attention.

I have always loved a Stingray... I have lost count how many SR5s I have had over the years and every time I sell one, I get another a bit later because I miss 'that' sound. when it has been a while, you plug one in and say... "that's why I have a Stingray!" My current gig type doesn't really require that sound, however, I still want one. 

Basically I know of a 4 string Old Smoothie for sale with someone I know and as the Old Smoothie is less zingy than the modern Stingray, I am seriously considering one although I wonder if I will miss that low B. I do use it, but I reckon I can do without it. Or could I?

Anyone been in a similar predicament? I'm so torn... the Old Smoothie looks and sounds great, it's a playability thing for me. Will I lose that adaptability I have with a 5? I know some people will say it's personal preference, just wanted some opinions before a pull the plug - or don't!

Carl.