Why become a member? ×

FS/FT/PX: Beautiful '68 fretless Jazz 3TSB **SOLD PENDING THE USUAL**
£3000
Canterbury

Beedster

Evening all

I played this bass in a shop years ago (Chandlers I think), at which time I was still firmly in something of a Jaco phase. I loved it, and thought "I'll own that one day when I have a proper job"! It popped up for sale on Reverb earlier this year so I jumped at it. It's absolutely glorious, and pretty much sounds like it looks (and smells), open the case and plug it in and it oozes a 50+ year history of jazz/blues bars, sweat, nicotine and alcohol. It's obviously had a few changes over the years, but none detract from the fact that this is a fine example of a well played vintage musician's bass, and far closer I imagine to Jaco's than the FCS relic ever was (I've owned that also).

But I sank almost £3k into a bass that I only play at home, which simply doesn't work with any of the bands I play in, and which I think I'd prefer to sell or trade for something more useful (I also have a Warmoth FL Jazz that works better for me having a 44mm). 

Photos below from the dealer's site, I can provide more detailed shots if needed. 

Cheers

Chris

454379387_Jazz3.thumb.jpg.13756c0692e884685fd3f94f103ce83b.jpg1699144593_Jazz2.thumb.jpg.6747b99dc608feff17fd7ac266ebf8c6.jpg

Edited by Beedster
Thread reopened
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

stinky poo on a stick. If that had frets on, I’d be right up poostink alley without a propulsion implement.

Crimmeny and gosh darn it. 

Looks like you need an updated tetanus to play it, but I want it...and I don’t necessarily mean to play. I want to buy it dinner and impress it with my witticisms and anecdotes before a mucky fumble in the back of a hackney carriage.

• Haha 7

17 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

stinky poo on a stick. If that had frets on, I’d be right up poostink alley without a propulsion implement.

Looks like you need an updated tetanus to play it, but I want it...and I don’t necessarily mean to play. I want to buy it dinner and impress it with my witticisms and anecdotes before a mucky fumble in the back of a hackney carriage.

Yep, much as I feel about it 

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

There's so much of concern in this post, it's almost impossible to know where to start..?

Psychoanalytically speaking, 'GAS' as a descriptor for a far gone state of mind doesn't even come close! 

This is where it all ends people - this is what the dark corners of a Basschat fuelled, bass-addicted, bass players mind looks like. This is the view from our windows.. 😁

Back on topic.. Lovely bass, tons of mojo Chris.. You have extraordinary taste in vintage basses! 

GLWTS or trade... 😊

Edited by silverfoxnik
  • Haha 5

On 08/12/2019 at 18:42, hooky_lowdown said:

OMG, for peeps like me who love the relic look, this bass is frecking gorgeous. 😍😍😍😍😍

There's something really good about a beaten up sunburst bass. I really want a beaten up 51 P-Bass but this Jazz just looks amazing.

On 08/12/2019 at 18:30, Beedster said:

Evening all

I played this bass in a shop years ago (Chandlers I think), at which time I was still firmly in something of a Jaco phase. I loved it, and thought "I'll own that one day when I have a proper job"! It popped up for sale on Reverb earlier this year so I jumped at it. It's absolutely glorious, and pretty much sounds like it looks (and smells), open the case and plug it in and it oozes a 50+ year history of jazz/blues bars, sweat, nicotine and alcohol. It's obviously had a few changes over the years, but none detract from the fact that this is a fine example of a well played vintage musician's bass, and far closer I imagine to Jaco's than the FCS relic ever was (I've owned that also).

But I sank almost £3k into a bass that I only play at home, which simply doesn't work with any of the bands I play in, and which I think I'd prefer to trade for something more useful (I also have a Warmoth FL Jazz that works better for me having a 42nn nut). So, I'm looking to trade for a fretted Precision from around the same era (or a Gibson mandolin, or, well hit me with really interesting stuff as long as it wasn't manufactured since 1980)!

Not looking for a sale right now thanks, money will simply disappear into bills and stuff! I'm in no rush to move it on, but thought I'd see what might be out there. 

Photos below from the dealer's site, I can provide more detailed shots if needed. 

Cheers

Chris

454379387_Jazz3.thumb.jpg.13756c0692e884685fd3f94f103ce83b.jpg1699144593_Jazz2.thumb.jpg.6747b99dc608feff17fd7ac266ebf8c6.jpg2095242178_Jazz5.thumb.jpg.65d5b2bc30044b3831cc2106816011c1.jpg335579514_Jazz11.thumb.jpg.7f4f1b9d32e1b1b869f02b13c6672d89.jpg58566720_Jazz9.thumb.jpg.c75bc747108db7164f0f0b0a0990c9ea.jpg1361354578_Jazz12.thumb.jpg.d277da6b02e754d6b12aca3d332e0d58.jpg1109368272_Jazz13.thumb.jpg.74b44030a47675b347c61ff6ee8d43aa.jpg1407333446_Jazz14.thumb.jpg.da189e29a41b823a62a9ec8fa422f063.jpg725673784_Jazz15.thumb.jpg.7a15efd5ab1c8c813b6585ce2977903b.jpg794272161_Jazz7.thumb.jpg.e248b89aaad765d55c3b1c3b9b536c6d.jpg

Jazz 10.jpg

Jazz 8.jpg

Jazz 6.jpg

Jazz 4.jpg

Jazz 1.jpg

If someone DOES want to buy it for 3k, you can buy my '66 precision for the same price...!

IMGP9379.jpg

Seems a bit daft to list this as trade only as there's quite a few nice old basses out there for sale at present, so I'll happily talk cash offers for this lovely old Jazz. Also happy to discuss PX with anything nice and old, 4-string basses (especially old Fender or Yamaha), 6-string guitars (especially Fender electric or Gibson acoustic).

Cheers

C

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for being slow with details on this folks. A few details pending taking it apart and getting some gut shots.

Components: Body, neck, PUPs, neckplate, bell-plate and circuit are original. Tuners and bridge are not original. There is no pickguard. This appears to have been a concerted attempt at replicating Jaco's Jazz, albeit some time ago. 

Finish: Finish on body is all original. The back of neck (nitro) and board (epoxy) have been refinished, the latter having been either defretted if it's the original (which seems unlikely), or replaced, which seems the most likely story. Note that neither the front or the back of the headstock have been refinished. 

Overall: Stunning, probably as close as you will get to a Jaco Jazz without buying the Bass of Doom. It's a very responsive and subtle instrument, to my ears and hands a significant step up from Jazz Basses I've played over the years. The obvious point of reference is the Fender Custom Shop Jaco Relic, which I owned for several years, and which I'd say pales by comparison with this bass, which is also significantly lighter (I'll confirm weight when I take photos).

I'm in no great rush to sell, but if we're talking cash, I'll take £2500 firm, no offers. I would prefer collection in person or meet up to both ensure that the buyer is happy with the bass and to minimise the risk associated with couriers. However, if the latter is the only option, it would nee to be sent fully insured at buyer's expense.

I should be able to post some close-up/internal photos tomorrow, apologies again for the delay, I don't want to be taking this apart in a rush!

Cheers

Chris

• MB1 locked this topic
  • MB1 unlocked this topic