Why become a member? ×

NBD 1980 Odyssey by Atilla Balogh

EMG456

Curse you, EMG456. I was happy in my ignorance of these objects of desire until you inflicted your four-string erotica upon my retina.

Finding one of these is an extremely intriguing prospect that will probably turn into a cautionary tale. I'll become like Bogart in Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

I wish you much joy with your Odyssey, EMG. It's beautiful. Congratulations on finding it.

9 hours ago, EMG456 said:

Ha - I accept your curse, in the spirit I think it was intended. Oh and yeah, sorry about that! 😀

Yes, the curse of friendly joshing. Probably won't keep you up at night.

It really is a splendid bass. You must be elated to get hold of one. There's one for sale in the U.S. but it has really been through the wars and I lack the medical skills necessary to deal with it. Still, it's nice to know they come up from time to time.

Got to be a pedant here and say that its a Vibrato unit, not a Tremolo unit.

Tremolo  is something completely different, and  the effect of Tremolo is differing volume and can be set to various speeds. Some amps have Tremolo built in and and of course some Tremolo pedals can be had. My Zoom B3 has a Tremolo patch.  Vibrato is a pitch changer, which is what the Kahler and all other whammy bars do.

It doesnt help that to this day that these arms are still called Tremolo by the industry, and its totally totally wrong by 100% ....for instance..

https://www.whammyparts.com/faq/150-kahler-bass-tremolo-installation-guidelines

https://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/article/what-does-a-bass-with-a-kahler-tremolo-system-actually-sound-like.html

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2019 at 19:05, fleabag said:

Got to be a pedant here and say that its a Vibrato unit, not a Tremolo unit

Haha, not been paying attention here- some other stuff on!!

Yes,  @fleabag, you are obviously correct but as you yourself point out,  these units are described by their manufacturers as Trems - both this Kahler one and the ‘TransTrem’ fitted to one of my Steinbergers.  Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. 

On 08/12/2019 at 16:40, EMG456 said:

Good things come to those who wait - not much option if you're looking for one of these.

20191208_153501581_iOS.thumb.jpg.0ca5444de6e0b7aaca27a389ea1c81a2.jpg

20191208_153634383_iOS.thumb.jpg.37403a7b3c1d6952cdc3fa4cceae2551.jpg

And yes, that's a Kahler Trem! 

The bass has been modded over the years with the Kahler and a strange active circuit but you can still play it Passive as well and the active and passive each have their own volume control presumably so you can balance the two different sounds.

All the work seems to have been done to a very high standard and the original wood working, timbers and finish are all excellent and surprisingly well preserved.

20191208_153836377_iOS.thumb.jpg.53fa4cd1ccf6341f21796cc73a6a11fe.jpg

20191208_153744221_iOS.thumb.jpg.3ffb84e46d325d4a6e975bbd597a2759.jpg

It sounds and feels great and (IMO) looks fantastic so well chuffed with this one. I've only been looking for about 25 years!

Sorry I'm late to this party! Happy New Year. : )

WOW!!! Well done that man!! In standard form, a stunning bass - mine has a Piano like tone and almost every note sounds like it is trying to climb out of the instrument. Yours clearly has way more tonal options. Not sure I would find any use for the wammy but considering how hard these are to find, even globally, if you were looking for one, it had to be done.

I haven't played mine for AGES and it is one of quite a few that I have never photographed, perhaps now it the time to dig him out!

More Odyssey stuff here: Odyssey Basses and Guitars

Congratulations on an excellent find.

Cheers. : )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlatEric said:

Sorry I'm late to this party! Happy New Year. : )

WOW!!! Well done that man!! In standard form, a stunning bass - mine has a Piano like tone and almost every note sounds like it is trying to climb out of the instrument. Yours clearly has way more tonal options. Not sure I would find any use for the wammy but considering how hard these are to find, even globally, if you were looking for one, it had to be done.

I haven't played mine for AGES and it is one of quite a few that I have never photographed, perhaps now it the time to dig him out!

More Odyssey stuff here: Odyssey Basses and Guitars

Congratulations on an excellent find.

Cheers. : )

Cheers mate and yep, it did have to be done and urgently!