Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine's new Hack!

Dood

18 hours ago, bassfan said:

Congrats mate 👍🏻👍🏻if you need a subject to test on, pick me. I have loads of gear woes, mainly related to not being able to finance everything I want!! 😂 

I will certainly be taking "questions from the floor" (a topical phrase right now in politics!) so depending on what we do next after these set of columns, "real world" problems will certainly be something to cover!

17 hours ago, Painy said:

Well that's gonna cost me a year's subscription fee! 🙄        😁

Congratulations mate! 

Sorry about that! :) But you do get to see my little face in the corner of the page each month ha ha!!

17 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

Excellent news, indeed, Dan.
Just wondering, will you still be doing the bass reviews for Guitar Interactive?

YES YES YES YES YES!!!! Its business as usual at Guitar Interactive doing video reviews too! 

17 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Great news Dan! 

Well deserved and a good move all round..

BGM definitely needs DOOD-ing up IMHO.. 😊

I was told a while ago that "Dood" in Dutch means "death". I hope that my columns won't be the "kiss of" as it were!!! ha ha ha ha!!

11 hours ago, fleabag said:

You will, of course, be getting to keep some seriously stonking planks, courtesy of BGM/Manufacturers.

I'd like to stick my tatty old oar in, and claim first dibs on a nice fretless 4 string, before the great unwashed manky crew on BC get wind of any freebies.

Ta

I suspect sir, we would have to have a game of 'Muskets At Dawn' over that! Though I suspect we would be playing Eric Cartman's rules of Roshambo in the absence of old school weaponry. I really would like a rather nice fretless too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrCrane said:

Congratulations.

Out of interest at what distance does your picture scare cows?  (How about other agricultural livestock)?

I once accidentally ruffled the feathers of a Canada goose, another occasion mildly agitated a miniature goat and on a family walk caused a horse to gallop off. The latter I am sure left uttering the words, "Jaco only needed..." We therefore changed the image to the current one.  

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, steantval said:

The Clark Kent of the bass world.

Ah yes, excuse me, I just need to dive in to this telephone box to put my pants on outside my trousers! :) :) 😂😂😂😂😂

On 08/12/2019 at 15:28, Dood said:

At the risk of sounding like blowing ones own on the most popular of bass forums, I bring you some news (which means a great, great deal to me) that I hope you will be pleased to read.

I am super happy to have been invited on board and have joined the brilliant team over at Bass Guitar Magazine.

To begin with I will be bringing you a column each month best described by BGM's editor in a recent social media post:

"At the recent UK Guitar Show, a reader of Bass Guitar mag suggested that I run a monthly column devoted to solving bass players' problems, gear-related rather than connected to personal grooming or relationships, I should add. "A capital idea!" I said, and pondered who the right hack would be. Ideally someone who knows bass gear inside out, is an experienced writer, has the right facial hair and whose picture in the mag won't scare cows at 100 paces. I'm delighted to announce that the great Dan Veall is the chap who got the gig: you can read his first column on 10 Dec in Bass Guitar and 24 Dec in Bass Player. Round of applause for new bug Dan, team! "

77012159_10156628415082093_4515058174914461696_o.jpg

Absolutely delighted for you.  Literally couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Congrats! From the headings it seems like useful info for players of all levels, and way more useful than gear reviews. Much needed info for bassists everywhere, wish you every success with it! 

That is exactly my intention! I hope I meet everyone’s expectations! When I do gear reviews, it’s important to get the details of the actual product over as clearly as possible. However, when a product has a particular type of equaliser on board, well, I might not be able to spend an extra 20 minutes going in to detail for example, describing a Baxandall equaliser network. I do still have a limit to how much I can squeeze in to my column in BGM, but I will do my best to keep it relevant and useful!

Questions and suggestions for future columns I am happy to receive and will respond when I can.