Why become a member? ×

Fake Overwater?

chris_b

21 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

No, not all, but all the pictures of their J and P style basses I could find do.  Many of their other models indeed do not.  

To be honest i struggled to find any P basses they've made. The J basses i found with head stock truss were more like special J basses with custom woods (expensive ones) The majority with body truss adjust. The PJ basses i found all had the body truss.

Maybe its down to what people ask for in their custom spec altho not sure if anyone would specifically ask for one or the other ?

Dave

I have 2 custom OWs, a J5 and a PJ5 and the both have the “Overwater Design” logo so it’s not that but the general look a quality of the build is very poor!

Mine both have body-end truss rod adjusters too, FYI

I’m calling fake....

Edited by woodster
  • Like 1

Took me a while to find the picture but here’s the  passive F type headstock Overwater P I remember seeing. The knobs look similar too, but if it’s the same or even a similar bass it’s had a tough life.

95E1D593-D65F-4BE9-B82E-96785741FD52.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Also, Overwater Jazz and PB's have the truss rod adjuster at the body end.

If it ever did start out life as an Overwater, there's precious little of it left beyond the body.

Urm, the one for sale on eBay has the truss rod adjustment at the body end. What you see on the headstock is the walnut stripe end...

I have to say, I think my initial guess of "fake" is wrong. Judging by the heal, correct truss rod adjustment placement and, most importantly, the pic provided by @NJE, it would appear that the one for sale on eBay is a genuine (albeit butchered) Overwater.

Having said all that, the listing has now ended (showing as unsold but maybe sold elsewhere?) so unless the buyer is on the forum, we're destined to never know for sure. Ahh we'll 😁

I messaged the guy and asked if he had any paperwork to ‘back up’ the original build claim. He gave me a name that I could approach overwater with regarding its history from 2010? Not sure that they’d give out that info, also implies he’s obtained the instrument to resell and it came with a ‘story’.

He said he will apparently be relisting it soon, after some ‘work’ and new better pics

Pretty sure the guys at Overwater would offer help. After all its their reputation that's being questioned here.

Any time i contacted them they were quick to reply and Chris May is a top bloke as far as i'm concerned who is always ready to talk bass with anyone. He certainly know his stuff.

Dave

• Like 1