Why become a member? ×

Fake Overwater?

chris_b

Just had an email arrive regarding this P bass. They claim it was made by Overwater but it's got Ibanez tuners, a Wilkinson bridge and they say they've removed a kg's worth of plastic finish!

Has Overwater ever used these components on a bass? I don't think so. Anyone know more about this than me?

The seller has 100% feedback! What gives here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254446216243?ul_noapp=true

• Like 2

Doesn't look like an Overwater headstock to me.  Wilkinson make decent, workmanlike gear, but I'm not aware of any higher end manufacturer fitting their gear as standard.  It smells fishier than Mrs Bassfingers home made apple pie.

Edited by Bassfinger
Fireplace tarmac spitfire pellet
  • Like 2

The logo and heel joint looks spot on to me, and I remember seeing Overwater basses on their Facebook page with a F type headstock. 

I don’t really believe his claims having owned two Overwater basses, but he could have easily trashed the bass and then just thought ‘feck it’ and changed over to black hardware to create a certain look.

• Like 1

Not all Overwater basses have the truss adjust at body end. Looking thru Overwater Gallery there are some headstocks that look very much like it plus the neck on the P Overwater had a black nut from what i could see. Couldn't see any standard P basses on their gallery. They either had the full 3 band EQ or 3 pots rather than 2.

If the seller has evidence that it was purchased from Overwater it should list all parts used. Overwater will fit any parts you suggest rather than their own. Its totally up to the individual

I'd be surprised if Overwater made a mess of any finish, their basses are first class. I have 2 off them.

Dave

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

It's written on the headstock, it's an Overwater Design, so maybe a bass predating the Tanglewood era...

That's a good point as Chris had basses made up to show Tanglewood what they could do so its possible it was one of those early designs for Tanglewood. Still made by Overwater altho the seller does state it was a custom order with Overwater.

Weird one.

Dave

• Like 2

Phone Chris May. I've done this regarding an Overwater in the past.

I dont ever remember Overwater building such  a pile of street pizza. Even back in the early days, they were pretty damn fine quality. I;ve owned  2 1980's built basses and they were top notch