Why become a member? ×

Off the Pegg - Dave Pegg Biography

Stub Mandrel

I'm a couple of chapters into this incredibly well-presented book. Lovely hardback with well presented dustjacket, endpapers, pics and even a ribbon to keep your page.

Peggy is my bass-playing hero, and a nice guy - I remember his genuine astonishment at being asked to sign the insert from my cassette of 'The Cocktail Cowboy Goes it Alone"! 🙂

I had no idea just how many people he's played with. He was even in a band with John Bonham. Brum must have been as exciting a place as London or Liverpool in the sixties, possibly more  so if you are into the sort of music I like most.

It's an interesting presentation with two typefaces, one for Pegg's recollections and one for his co-writer's comments and clarifications (and corrections!)

My criticism would be that a bit of editing could have untangled the timelines and avoided some repetition making it a lot easier to follow, even allowing for the overlaps of some of his bands and experiences. Some of the changes are pretty obvious to me having done a bit of editing, and would not have spoiled anything.

That said, there are some really nice anecdotes, one or two of which would suit Motley Crue (but presented without the saliciousness) or Spinal Tap.

Maybe I'll add more later, but my view so far is this is a must read if Mr Pegg has influenced your playing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fairport were on at the Acoustic Festival of Britain last year, on the Saturday. We played Friday and Sunday, so Saturday was our day off. Sitting outside the main beer tent in the afternoon, a couple of ciders in so a little more outgoing than usual, I spotted Peggy several yards away. “Dave Pegg!” I shouted. He turned round, spotted me, and made a very rapid exit towards the main bar. I did laugh. Would have loved to have chatted to him though. Great player, and obviously actually knew and played with my current obsession, Sandy Denny, although doubtless he’d be fed of being asked about her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks @Stub Mandrel for bringing Dave Pegg to my attention. I had a Waterstone's voucher for Christmas, and now yet another musician's biography on my shelves. It's three books down the list though, so will have to wait until I've read the others.

Even more excitingly I found A Box of Pegg's in the music section of the Library of Birmingham 🙂. Impossible to buy, but £1.50 to borrow it for a fortnight. The box set booklet is extensive and a real education. Like most people I only know him from Tull and Fairport. Didn't know he was in The Exception or any of the other bands or collaborations. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Oddly timely - I've just been listening to the Jerthro Tull live in Den Haag in 1980 that comes with the Stormwatch remaster, and Pegg's bass is front and centre of everything (as is right).  Filthy tone - brilliant stuff

It's so good to hear these concerts presented properly after years of (admittedly pretty good) bootlegs.

So impressed I was with Pegg's tone I actually started a thread about it a few years ago...

36 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's so good to hear these concerts presented properly after years of (admittedly pretty good) bootlegs.

So impressed I was with Pegg's tone I actually started a thread about it a few years ago...

yes - this one isn't the finest of the bonus live recordings (initially things seem a bit distorted, although it improves as it goes on.  Although I got it at the same time as the Motorhead 1979 re-issues, and it is far superior to those. 

But very bass heavy (if anything a little light on the electric guitar - that's a nice change!) and he was clearly playing with a few effects at the time

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Do you have a link?

His sound on 'Beastie' is exactly the one I want to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhZMmyLqHHM

Incidentally this is probably the bass before the Riverhead Unicorn in the show us your headless bass thread, anyone know what it is? Looks different from a standard Jazz.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel

30 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Do you have a link?

His sound on 'Beastie' is exactly the one I want to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhZMmyLqHHM

Incidentally this is probably the bass before the Riverhead Unicorn in the show us your headless bass thread, anyone know what it is? Looks different from a standard Jazz.

maxresdefault.jpg

Recently updated to boot!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Oddly timely - I've just been listening to the Jerthro Tull live in Den Haag in 1980 that comes with the Stormwatch remaster, and Pegg's bass is front and centre of everything (as is right).  Filthy tone - brilliant stuff

I know it's an unfashionable choice, but Stormwatch is my favourite Tull album.  Just sublime.

• Like 2

I saw FC at Whitstable a couple of years ago, where he played the Ibanez fan fret. I 'just happened' to be down by the stage at the end of the show, when he came back on to pack away his gear. I asked him what it was like to play a fan fret, about which he was very enthusiastic. So much so that he invited me on stage to play the bass, and we chatted for about 15 mins. What a nice guy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NHM said:

What a nice guy.

Indeed - I sent a question via his website yesterday:

Hiya Neil and ta for the nice comments. I have just finished writing my notes for the Fairport Tour prog. where I talk about my basses. On Broadsword it was the 62 precision that I mention and I believe also a Rob Armstrong fretless bass. the riverbed was used on gladys and they were great basses, I gave mine to Bruce Rowland and when he was in his last days he auctioned it for funds to help the hospice he was in. I hope this helps and try and get to one of our gigs and please order the new F.C. cd. It’s a good one! happy plucking , cheers , peggy.

He included the bit from the programme:

To celebrate my fifty years I have treated myself to a new bass. When I joined F.C. I was playing a Fender 62 Precision with an added jazz bass pick up and a slimmed down neck . I had a jazz bass too which sadly got stolen . I have purchased a J.H.S. J74 four string to try and recreate  how I played all those years ago. They make fantastic vintage copies and I am so pleased with this instrument. J.H.S. are the company that gave  us the Jerry Donahue “signature” Guitar that was signed by  some very famous guitarists and auctioned  to raise an amazing £22000. to help fund Jerrys recovery from a stroke he had three years ago.  Our website  has links to this if you wish for more info. I will also be playing a 5 string Ibanez  SDG and a Kala bass uke. which sounds amazing. My Godin mandolin was given to me by my friend Brian O’Malley from Chicago. I use  elixir strings on all  my instuments 

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

It had largely passed me by until I got the reissue but it is very good

I've been touting it as an overlooked gem in their back catalog for years, good to see it get the full Steven Wilson reissue treatment. I already had copies of the 'On The Move' and 'Move On' bootleg CD's so was familiar with the live material from that tour even though I didn't see them live until 86.

Edited by KevB

• 4 weeks later...