Why become a member? ×

Lifers

ped

Hi folks,

Over the years I have seen members come and go, millions of basses change hands and a few fads wax and wane. I wanted to see who, during this seemingly never ending process of gear buying/selling, has been fortunate enough to have found 'the one'. I don't mean your favourite bass at the moment, or the one you have had the longest, but the bass you will ALWAYS keep and use the most, the one that is 'your' sound.

So have you got the bass for you? I know of a few people who have, so post pics and maybe a lil story or a bit of info about the bass that makes it special. It might cost a tenner, ten grand or anything in between...

Cheers
ped

Gotta be the Swampy PRS....

Was sat around pontificating about g'tars with my g'tarist and said wouldnt it be great if PRS made basses? Neale didnt think he ever had but I did some research and found out Paul's ltd Bass history.

I then thought 'I'll get one', little did I know it would nigh on impossible to find one. After a freak Google search, ( it only came up as a hit once ;) ) I found a shop in the US that still had 2 NOS ones.

Quite literally fell in love with the Swampy first time I saw it. When it came it was even better in the flesh, it handles brilliantly, produces a wonderful tone with Flats on and will only be removed from my cold dead hands....

Every other bass is judged by it, and as yet nothing compares to it!

[quote name='Machines' post='383850' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:40 AM']Yamaha RBX775, got it for my 21st birthday and have since defretted it.[/quote]

I got my Fender American Jazz in December for my 21rst. It's lovely to play, sounds great & looks the part. Unlike most of my other gear I bought it new, from GAK in Brighton after a couple of times of playing it. Plan to keep on to it & for it to pick up wear & tear along the way with me ;)

[url="http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1801091202kb9.jpg"][/url]

Best quality photo from the 5 megapixel camera on an LG Viewty.

EDIT: have put a black scratch plate on as think it suits the look I'm after better.

Edited by joe_bass

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='383843' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:33 AM']I never say never...[/quote]
I, conversely, ALWAYS seem to say never...
Consequently, I have quite a few.

I'd never sell the Vigier, nor the Yamaha BS Sig. I can't imagine the Status going either (that's still being built!)
In a real pinch, I'd sell the others, but I try not to sell basses to finance more basses. Seems oddly counter-productive!

It will be very hard for me to ever let my '88 Stage II go, there was a minor low point when Warwickhunt came round to try it to buy it when i really needed money, and i'm so so so happy he left it cause i'll be happily playing this thing until my hands seize up.

I will never sell the Squier JV Jazz I have had since I was 14. Now, even with 4 basses, an upright and a g**tar, I still marvel at it. If my DIY skills were good enough, I'd frame it on the wall!

It was my second bass, and the only one I owned for 12 years. It has been my trusty companion as I have moved around the country. It would break my heart (or for me to be in severe financial difficulties) before it would go.

Like some others, I'd never say "never", but I'm very attached to my '91 Thumb. Although I would consider selling it if I found a '91 or earlier Thumb 5...

I think I'd wanted one since 1991, so it's quite fitting that I got one from that year. And it was mostly from listening to Fishbone, and then seeing how gorgeous they looked in the flesh in Carslbro Sound in Leeds when I was 16. ;)

This one is as good a Thumb as I've ever played, it's got the sound, the looks, the lot. Every time I pick it up I smile. :P

My '72 Ric 4001 with all the goodies; I bought it in a sale in 1993 for £490. I'd played it a year before (when it was £680) and completely fell in love with it. I couldn't afford it at the time, so went away convinced it would never be mine, but pleased at least that I'd actually found "the one". A year later I'd been saving up for a new amp, turned up at the same shop again, and there it was on the wall, reduced to sell. As luck would have it I'd also taken my 76 4001 along to try some amps so was able to do a direct comparison (the 72 blew it out of the water). I couldn't pay for it fast enough. It was obviously meant to be mine!

This is a pic of me playing it the year I got it.....

...and here's me playing it a couple of years ago...

[quote name='4000' post='384006' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:32 PM']My '72 Ric 4001 with all the goodies; I bought it in a sale in 1993 for £490. I'd played it a year before (when it was £680) and completely fell in love with it. I couldn't afford it at the time, so went away convinced it would never be mine, but pleased at least that I'd actually found "the one". A year later I'd been saving up for a new amp, turned up at the same shop again, and there it was on the wall, reduced to sell. As luck would have it I'd also taken my 76 4001 along to try some amps so was able to do a direct comparison (the 72 blew it out of the water). I couldn't pay for it fast enough. It was obviously meant to be mine!

[/quote]

Looks like you're playing the same song too!!

Lovely bass. I'm a massive fan of Rics having rediscovered them recently

[quote name='4000' post='384006' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:32 PM']My '72 Ric 4001 with all the goodies; I bought it in a sale in 1993 for £490. I'd played it a year before (when it was £680) and completely fell in love with it. I couldn't afford it at the time, so went away convinced it would never be mine, but pleased at least that I'd actually found "the one". A year later I'd been saving up for a new amp, turned up at the same shop again, and there it was on the wall, reduced to sell. As luck would have it I'd also taken my 76 4001 along to try some amps so was able to do a direct comparison (the 72 blew it out of the water). I couldn't pay for it fast enough. It was obviously meant to be mine!

[/quote]

You haven't changed a bit!

Lovely bass - I keep having GAS for a Ric

I have a few keepers:
[list]
[*]my '81 Precision I bought new from Rockbottom for £260 with my wages for working all summer in Bejams. I recently refitted the eighties EMG pick up I fitted andtook out a few years ago, but this time running it off 18v - It sounds massive now.

[*]My Black Ashbory - no idea why it should be any better than my blue one, but I prefer it as it just seems nicer to play.

[*]NS-Design CR5-M. lovely lovely electric upright. I bought it new when the exchange rate was better and it was just blummin' expensive. If I hadn't bought then I certainly wouldn't be able to afford one now as they have since gone up to f'kin expensive.

[*]My white CIJ mustang might also be a keeper as its been my favourite gigging bass since I bought it (& I have bought one or two others since)
[/list]

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='384024' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:49 PM']Looks like you're playing the same song too!!

Lovely bass. I'm a massive fan of Rics having rediscovered them recently[/quote]

Thanks! I noticed that too actually; I assure you I wasn't! Different band entirely; although as I write the music it may have something to do with it!

I don't think I will part with my Sandberg, I got it from a dude on here secondhand, when I got it I liked it a lot, but then the arrival of a Vigier pushed it aside for a few months, but I changed it's strings for the lighter ones I prefer and now I can imagine nothing being better then it. I have an ACG being built at the moment, but I don't know if that will just be a backup to the Sandberg.

This is the only picture I can find!