Why become a member? ×

Replace barrel Jack

Mickyk

Hi all, 

I need to replace the Barrel jack on my Yamaha bb424x as its become a bit loose and I don't trust it. I already have a Nuetrik Jack which I have had for a while now but just got round to doing it now. Having opened up the crome plate and having a closer look, it appears that the original one is different as it seems to have two pins on the back plus a cable clamp I think. Question is can I use the new Nuetrik one in the photo or do I need to buy another one

Cheers 

Ps hope you can see the photos clearly. 

IMG_20191207_161058.jpg

IMG_20191207_161142.jpg

You can use either a stereo or mono one, the stereo one only needs the correct tag wired up to work. Neutrik are always the best connectors. Be aware that some barrel type jack sockets have a miniscule difference in the internal circumference and the jack plug can feel a little loose and not make the best contact so buying the best is ....best!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mybass said:

You can use either a stereo or mono one, the stereo one only needs the correct tag wired up to work. Neutrik are always the best connectors. Be aware that some barrel type jack sockets have a miniscule difference in the internal circumference and the jack plug can feel a little loose and not make the best contact so buying the best is ....best!

So I could use the Nuetrick one in the photo then, and does the white wire go to the sleeve thing which looks like a cable clamp.. 

1/ ... The existing one you say is 'loose' ...in what way? If the whole assembly is feeling loose when you plug the guitar lead in then try to tighten up the internal nut that is fitting over the barrel. If you mean as I've assumed that the jack plug feels loose 'within' the barrel then yes, change the barrel.

2/...I can make out a red and white wire but not where they go to. Here is a picture off the web that may help. The tip is the 'hot/signal' and the chassis/cable clamp is the 'earth'.

3/...Im assuming you only need a mono signal output and there is not a battery involved.

images.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mybass said:

1/ ... The existing one you say is 'loose' ...in what way? If the whole assembly is feeling loose when you plug the guitar lead in then try to tighten up the internal nut that is fitting over the barrel. If you mean as I've assumed that the jack plug feels loose 'within' the barrel then yes, change the barrel.

2/...I can make out a red and white wire but not where they go to. Here is a picture off the web that may help. The tip is the 'hot/signal' and the chassis/cable clamp is the 'earth'.

3/...Im assuming you only need a mono signal output and there is not a battery involved.

images.jpeg

Yes the existing one is loose when the cable is plugged in so that's the reason i want to change it.The red wire appears to go to the tip/hot pin and the white one goes to the left hand pin as we look at it in the photo. Thanks for reply.