Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

Bill Yellow

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'd play Higher Ground like Nate Watts did on the original. It would easily fit with the Chilli Peppers version.

To do that would be to miss the point completely. The line that Flea plays drives the whole tune and makes the version sound what it is. It's the essential and fundamental part of the entire arrangement.

The difficult thing to capture is not the notes, but the energy of the performance.

This version by Josh Fossgreen is a pretty good representation. Start slow, work it up.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragements all.

I did look at the Josh Fossgreen vid, and downloaded his 3 page tab, so of course I'm going for it!

And to be fair, since joining a rock covers band I have learned to play stuff by Muse, Skunk Anansie, Foo Fighters, Cardigans and Arctic Monkeys as well as the more straightforward 'solid' tracks. The only band I really have to bluff a bit is Queens of the Stone Age.

So I'll see what I can make of slapping, even if I chicken out after the intro!

Also, there was also a gentleman whose name escapes me demoing his approach to slappery, here: 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2019 at 12:40, Bill Yellow said:

So now the band are suggesting we cover the Chilli's Higher Ground.

What would you do?

"Sigh!.."

“William, William, William!..."

It's quite clear what you must do!..

The band is asking that you play “Devil" music and this is simply not on!! 

I assume that you wish to reside in the “Good Place" for all eternity after you have fulfilled your quota upon this blessed earth...

You must simply tell your fellow band mates the following;

“I recognise the suggestion to cover the Red Hot Chilli Pepper's version of “Higher Ground".  You are all welcome to your own opinions and I, being only a man, cannot judge thee... "

“However, this is clearly a Stevie Wonder song so either play that or GET THA F*CK OUT!!"... "

“P.S. I will consider learning how to “Slap'a da' bass" as I could never rightfully call myself a bass player should I not be able to hit and release the string in such a motion that might leave a percussive yet tonal nuance that is both intriguing and sonically pleasing to the ear."

Should your band request that you start to perform wearing nothing but a sports sock upon your genitalia you will know for sure that you are now in league with “The One Who Shall Not Be Named".... 

......          “ Flea!!! ".......

Seriously though, do WTF you want!!!

If you enjoy playing it, play it...

If you don't enjoy playing it, who knows?... You probably will start to enjoy playing it!!...

If you can't play it... 

... well get that sports sock on and start learning!!!

“BA, ba-da, ba-da, BA-Ba-BA-DA!!!"

(That's the notes for higher ground, just in case you need to learn it...)

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've been asked to learn Can't Stop. I'm not the best slapper by a country mile....

But it's an excuse to improve!

It's one of those songs that I found hard to sound *just right*. I came up with different passable ways to do it originally, and checked videos online... and was never really happy with it. I think I was only happy once I found a 'bass only' track from the original recording (with bum notes and all :D ) , and realised I was overcomplicating things. Just like with Tell Me Baby, some of the percussive notes are really the bass drum. 

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

To do that would be to miss the point completely. The line that Flea plays drives the whole tune and makes the version sound what it is. It's the essential and fundamental part of the entire arrangement.

The difficult thing to capture is not the notes, but the energy of the performance.

This version by Josh Fossgreen is a pretty good representation. Start slow, work it up.

very good lesson

7 hours ago, Bill Yellow said:

...and of course, as I have to keep reminding myself, we're a covers band. Not a tribute band. I don't need to sound like Mr F. Lea or anyone else. I just need to sound like me having fun and getting into the essence of the song!

This 100% Enjoying what you do is key. If its your spare time and you are doing something that's supposed to be fun, but its a chore, then I don't do it.