Why become a member? ×

Help me choose between Sire V3 vs Yamaha bb435

james_027

Ignore the price, currently there's a sale for bb435 that makes both guitar at the same price. Let me highlight what I like/dislike with both guitars

• multi-piece neck vs carbon reinforcement rod, the multi-piece might have advantage but i think the carbon reinforcement rod is a good enough feature rather than nothing, so its a tie
  • 6 bolt vs 4 bolt neck joint, bb435 wins this area
  • body aesthetic, i prefer clean and simple. bb435 has a cleaner look, while sire v3 has a cluttered look (so much controls) for my taste, but bb435 has a weird round shape, sire has standard body shape which I like it more, so I am not sure which way to go
  • electronics, i am noob, so i prefer the simple one, and I hate batteries
  • acceptability ... while both bass are good, i think sire v3 is more popular while this doesn't necessarily mean better somehow it affects my decision
  • its nice that both has body thru string feature

Thank for your feedback

They’re completely different instruments in terms of tone, with the BB435 having a P/J layout vs the JJ of the Sire.

I have the 435, and will say that after a fret level and dress it’s one of the best necks I’ve played for anything remotely close to the money. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, james_027 said:

• body aesthetic, i prefer clean and simple. bb435 has a cleaner look, while sire v3 has a cluttered look (so much controls) for my taste, but bb435 has a weird round shape, sire has standard body shape which I like it more, so I am not sure which way to go

For those two points. 

1) Maybe look for a BB425 as it is cleaner with no scratchplate but I understand what you mean about the mainstream J shape seeking more familiar. 

2) While the Sire pre amp gets rave reviews, if you don't want to deal with batteries the Sire can do passive mode but is it worth having the active option there if you don't plan on using it? 

I've got a 425 so I am slightly biased but they are great basses, the newer ones are great too, slightly lighter and the body shape is slightly smaller too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, james_027 said:

Ignore the price, currently there's a sale for bb435 that makes both guitar at the same price. Let me highlight what I like/dislike with both guitars

• multi-piece neck vs carbon reinforcement rod, the multi-piece might have advantage but i think the carbon reinforcement rod is a good enough feature rather than nothing, so its a tie
  • 6 bolt vs 4 bolt neck joint, bb435 wins this area
  • acceptability ... while both bass are good, i think sire v3 is more popular while this doesn't necessarily mean better somehow it affects my decision
  • its nice that both has body thru string feature

Necks: Multi piece and carbon are for reinforcement: Both will reduce dead spots and aid stability. Neither is better than the other.

4 or 6 bolts: If the bass is well made the number of bolts doesn't matter. I've seen Ritter basses use upto 17 bolts and they aren't more stable than my 4 bolt Sadowsky.

Aesthetic: Whatever turns you on. I'm a "Fender" shape fan.

Electronics: Pre-amps are about tone. I change the battery on my active bass once a year.

Acceptability: I'm not a pro player so I don't care what other people think.

Body: I've not found through stringing makes a difference to the tone that I can hear.

What I look for in a new bass is 18-19 mm at bridge, weight that is under 9lbs and it has to sound better than my current bass. If it doesn't have those 3 things I'm not interested. Everything else is negotiable.

You've got to be comfortable with your choice, but, for me, none of your points would trump tone. I'd get the bass that sounds the best. The rest comes a distant second.

Ive got a Sire V7 5, first Gen. Cant comment on the V3. Very nice bass, plays really well and although i dont use the preamp much, its a good one. I believe most of the necks are the same throughout the first Gen, and its a very playable neck. One of the nicest ive owned, although a bit chunky. The newer Gen 2 necks are really, really nice though.

I also have a 425. Lovely bass. Feels basic but comfortable. It's not the same as a 435 (which I'm also after), so cant really comment on that either, but given the choice, I'd go for the basic passive option. 

• Like 1

I've owned a Sire V7 5-string, BB735, BB434, and BB425X.  I found the Sire controls a bit fiddly - there are seven knobs squeezed in there, and a switch.  Out of the Yamahas, my favourite, most comfortable, and best sounding was the 434.  (I suppose it's a bit unfair for it to win "most comfortable" as it has the advantage of being a four-string.)  So if it was me I'd go for the BB435.

What style of music do you play?  Can you order both (perhaps from a large online retailer with a generous returns policy - Thomann or PMT) and return the one you don't want?

• Like 1

I have owned several Yamaha's over the years and also a Sire V7.

In my experience, Yamaha QC is better: I bought the the Sire sight unseen online from Andertons and it had a few issues, including one of the block inlays sitting really proud of the fingerboard. In principle, I loved the Sire preamp (I like 'expansive' electronics) however, it too was faulty with annoying intermittent noises etc. Given Sires rep I was probably just unlucky, but it is what it is. I've never had an issue with Yamaha.

Get hands on before jumping in.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2019 at 19:50, chris_b said:

Necks: Multi piece and carbon are for reinforcement: Both will reduce dead spots and aid stability. Neither is better than the other.

4 or 6 bolts: If the bass is well made the number of bolts doesn't matter. I've seen Ritter basses use upto 17 bolts and they aren't more stable than my 4 bolt Sadowsky.

Aesthetic: Whatever turns you on. I'm a "Fender" shape fan.

Electronics: Pre-amps are about tone. I change the battery on my active bass once a year.

Acceptability: I'm not a pro player so I don't care what other people think.

Body: I've not found through stringing makes a difference to the tone that I can hear.

Since I am new, the body through stringing looks to last longer since it doesnt pull the bridge, so I am on the aspect of durability rather than tone.

On 07/12/2019 at 19:50, chris_b said:

What I look for in a new bass is 18-19 mm at bridge, weight that is under 9lbs and it has to sound better than my current bass. If it doesn't have those 3 things I'm not interested. Everything else is negotiable.

You've got to be comfortable with your choice, but, for me, none of your points would trump tone. I'd get the bass that sounds the best. The rest comes a distant second.

On 08/12/2019 at 06:51, dave_bass5 said:

Ive got a Sire V7 5, first Gen. Cant comment on the V3. Very nice bass, plays really well and although i dont use the preamp much, its a good one. I believe most of the necks are the same throughout the first Gen, and its a very playable neck. One of the nicest ive owned, although a bit chunky. The newer Gen 2 necks are really, really nice though.

I also have a 425. Lovely bass. Feels basic but comfortable. It's not the same as a 435 (which I'm also after), so cant really comment on that either, but given the choice, I'd go for the basic passive option. 

Hope you'll get your 435 soon 😁

• Like 1

The Yamaha BBs are very comfortable to 'wear' and play. 

Aesthetics are entirely a matter of personal taste. In terms of personal wow factor from my own basses: I love the Spector Euro LX neck through form; I regularly get unsolicited compliments about my Ibby SR. Others will gush over a Fender body shape or an Alembic etc. etc. 

You won't always be new. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, james_027 said:

Thanks to all who shared their opinions. My one last question is aren't the BB body shape a bit weird?  I am new, so tone doesn't matter much to me, as long as it sound like a bass. I am more into aesthetics and durability

I hated the look of Yamaha's for ages, especially the ones with the plastic silver surrounds, but the latest ones are well thought out and comfortable to play. 

The preamp on the Sire can be turned off, so you dont need to worry about it, you dotn even need to put batteries in it (if its the same as the V7), but its nice to have IMO. 

Assuming you are talking about a 5 string V3, I'd say go for whatever you think you will keep picking up. As long as you dont specifically want either a P or Jazz bass tone, either is going to work well. Don’t worry about the specs, a lot of this is nice to have but not necessary. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, james_027 said:

. . . . . . . . the body through stringing looks to last longer since it doesnt pull the bridge, so I am on the aspect of durability rather than tone.

I have never seen a bass where the bridge is being pulled from the body. The 4 or 5 screws used is more than enough to anchor the bridge. Believe me that is not an issue.

@Teebs - the Yammy does look good, but why did they go for a non matching black headstock on the "3" series?!! That seems to me to be the sort of superficial cosmetic point that the OP is keen to have pointed out, as tone is not important for him as long as it sounds like a bass. 

• Like 1

@Teebs wow thanks for those pics it sure looks tasty 😁

@dave_bass5 what you said right there at the last sentence was a enlightenment to me, I think I should not worry about the multi-piece neck, body-stringing, etc. thanks for your words of wisdom

@chris_b thanks. For learning purpose, Does changing the bridge will make the screw holes loose its thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1